Speculation: Changes In Calgary: The Search For a New GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know I'm way in the minority here, but I actually wouldn't mind Joe. I think him and Burke would be a great tandem. Niewy is a very intelligent individual and really understands the game of hockey, he is also very passionate and well respected. Being a good manager takes time and there's much you need to learn. What is much harder is understanding what it takes to be successful and win a Cup. Burke would be a great mentor for him, and hiring Joe would be great for our community.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Personally, I'd someone who contrasts with Burke. I want a numbers guy. A progressive guy. And hopefully someone who played hockey at a high level.

Niewy has a good grasp on young talent being that he's not to far removed from the game. He's a winner, and knows what kind dynamics a team needs to win a championship. While playing previously for the Flames should not be a reason to be hired, it would be a really nice bonus as he has credibility within the community, and this is important to Burke as it's mandatory his players give back.

I don't think Burke will hire a polar opposite. He'll want someone that thinks the way he does and someone he can work with. With that said, we can still hire the appropriate people who do analyze the numbers and break the game down.

I think players really respect Joe and this is an asset for guys wanting to come and play for the Flames. He is as classy as they come, I wouldn't be opposed to hiring him at all.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Niewy has a good grasp on young talent being that he's not to far removed from the game. He's a winner, and knows what kind dynamics a team needs to win a championship. While playing previously for the Flames should not be a reason to be hired, it would be a really nice bonus as he has credibility within the community, and this is important to Burke as it's mandatory his players give back.

I don't think Burke will hire a polar opposite. He'll want someone that thinks the way he does and someone he can work with. With that said, we can still hire the appropriate people who do analyze the numbers and break the game down.

I think players really respect Joe and this is an asset for guys wanting to come and play for the Flames. He is as classy as they come, I wouldn't be opposed to hiring him at all.

I really strongly disagree with this. Is there any evidence to support that notion?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
His draft history isn't amazing, but it looks okay, and it's probably to early to really judge him on it anyways. Notables he drafted are: Alex Chiasson, Reilly Smith, Scott Glennie, Jack Campbell, Brett Ritchie, Radek Faksa. I think the biggest area of concern with him is his trading history, but Burke would really help him with this.

My main point was I like that he's a younger guy. As I said, he's very intelligent. He's not to far removed from the game so he's familiar with how it's played today. He has a great hockey mind which is a huge asset, I think Burke could really help to show him the ropes to be a really good GM.

Again I know I'm in the minority on this board with hiring him, but I wouldn't be upset with it at all.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really strongly disagree with this. Is there any evidence to support that notion?

Mike Ribeiro to the Washington Capitals for Cody Eakin and a second-round pick.
Brenden Morrow and a third round pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins for defenseman Joe Morrow and a fifth rounder.

Those are two trades that highlight getting some youth into the lineup by trading vets on expiring contracts. Honestly, Joe got a better deal for Morrow than Feaster did with Iggy; and people around these parts still high-five about that trade.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind Joe as our next GM. Burke will be the one pulling the strings trade-wise, and honestly, his drafting record isn't that bad. He pretty much has been picking in the same ball-park as the Flames the past few as Dallas GM, so it's hard to figure out how these #8-15 picks look quite yet, those take time to develop.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah not being too far removed is good. Playing at an elite level shows he knew the game better than most when he was playing it. I'm mixed about him as a GM. Chiasson is starting to look good. Glenny looked better last year. Still, it could be that Nieuwendyk didn't have a good budget and scout staff.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Burkes first choice or "Plan A" is Joe Neuiwendyk. i think he's going to wait it out and hope joe changes his mind.

Joe is an idiot,.looks at the James Neal deal and most of his draft picks. He is worse than Feaster in term of judging talent and making deals.:shakehead

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I know I'm way in the minority here, but I actually wouldn't mind Joe. I think him and Burke would be a great tandem. Niewy is a very intelligent individual and really understands the game of hockey, he is also very passionate and well respected. Being a good manager takes time and there's much you need to learn. What is much harder is understanding what it takes to be successful and win a Cup. Burke would be a great mentor for him, and hiring Joe would be great for our community.

Winning the cup as a player is very different from building a winning team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Also, the Neal trade looks really bad, but he was trading a 50pt forward for a +40pt dman. Neal obviously had more upside than that, but playing with Malkin and Sid may have something to do with his production. I've seen Neal play several times when both Sid and Neal were injured, he's not the same player. I'm not saying it was a good deal, but he made a trade from a position of strength to fill a need with a young dman that had upside. Some trades you win, some you lose.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Also, the Neal trade looks really bad, but he was trading a 50pt forward for a +40pt dman. Neal obviously had more upside than that, but playing with Malkin and Sid may have something to do with his production. I've seen Neal play several times when both Sid and Neal were injured, he's not the same player. I'm not saying it was a good deal, but he made a trade from a position of strength to fill a need with a young dman that had upside. Some trades you win, some you lose.

I can't believe your defending this trade. This trade alone proves he is not a good judge of young talent as you claim, proves he is a complete moron really. Neal does get more points playing with malkin but without him he was still close being a 60 point player at only 21/22 years of age. Goligoski had inflated points playing on a good team with a good PP. The trade also had a young Niskanen who turned out to do the same Goligoski did in Pitttsburgh. Joe just decided to throw a future 1st liner in the deal to boot. I think this is one of the worst trades made in the league the past 20 years.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
Mike Ribeiro to the Washington Capitals for Cody Eakin and a second-round pick.
Brenden Morrow and a third round pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins for defenseman Joe Morrow and a fifth rounder.

Those are two trades that highlight getting some youth into the lineup by trading vets on expiring contracts. Honestly, Joe got a better deal for Morrow than Feaster did with Iggy; and people around these parts still high-five about that trade.

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind Joe as our next GM. Burke will be the one pulling the strings trade-wise, and honestly, his drafting record isn't that bad. He pretty much has been picking in the same ball-park as the Flames the past few as Dallas GM, so it's hard to figure out how these #8-15 picks look quite yet, those take time to develop.
Unless you're talking relative to the value of the player, I completely disagree with the bolded. I would much rather have our return for the Iginla trade than Morrow and a 3rd.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
June 24, 2010: Acquired Dustin Byfuglien, Ben Eager, Brent Sopel and Akim Aliu for a 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb and Jeremy Morin.
July 1, 2010: Acquired Andrew Ladd for Ivan Vishnevskiy and a second round pick in 2011. Another positive move by Dudley.

August 23, 2010: Re-signed Bryan Little to a three-year extension at $2.4 million per season. Little has the potential to be a 30-goal scorer; in fact, he scored 31 goals in 2008/09 for the Thrashers. The problem for Atlanta is that he totaled 31 goals over the next two seasons. Even so, at $2.4 million per season for two more seasons, at age 23 and with terrific stick skills, there are far, far worse investments for $2.4 million per season. Grade: B

February 15, 2011: Signed Dustin Byfuglien to a five-year contract extension at $5.2 million per season. The acquisition of Byfuglien was a deft one by Dudley. This contract, however, demonstrated that Dudley might have been a little bit to eager to reward his off-season acquisition. “Big Buff†was signed to this extension just after his impressive first-half numbers—or close to his peak value. His talents are there to possibly make good on this contract but signing a player in the midst of his first year full year on defense in the NHL, who doesn’t play significant minutes on the penalty kill and has room to improve defensively seemed unnecessary.

February 18, 2011: Acquired Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart for Rich Peverley and Boris Valabik.

Seems to me Dudley is responsible for Winnipegs core. He brought in Ladd,Wheeler and Byfuglien all in just one season that has set the jets franchise up for the future

Dudley showed some very good potential in Winnipeg. He made some minor mistakes but then most GM's do those from time to time.

Dudley's big acquisitions set Winnipeg up for the future in a big way. Argue whether or not that core is a core one could with or not, but Dudley did a good job of adding talent to a team largely devoid of it. At the very least, those players would net big returns in the start of a rebuild if so decided.

Dudley's best move was by far trading for Byfuglien and moving him to defense. I remember people balking at this but it worked out in a big way. But trading for Ladd and Wheeler were pretty shrewd moves too. Both have taken the next step, steps they couldn't while playing for their previous teams. I think one of his most underrated moves was actually keeping Little around. He's also taken that next step.

He's a great talent evaluator.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah not being too far removed is good. Playing at an elite level shows he knew the game better than most when he was playing it. I'm mixed about him as a GM. Chiasson is starting to look good. Glenny looked better last year. Still, it could be that Nieuwendyk didn't have a good budget and scout staff.
Don't forget Reilly Smith who currently leads the Bruins in goals and is 2nd in points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not saying Niewy is the guy I want more than anyone, but I'd be happy if he was hired. I really think he would do a good job, along with several other candidates listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad