Changes coming to Blackhawks Pro Scouting

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Generally have not understood/agreed with any Maatta criticisms since we traded for him. The knock on him was his skating speed and it’s been an almost complete non-issue. He’s been, at worst, fine for us.
Yep. Maatta is fine. The issue with the Hawks D is that they don't have that bonafide #1 top pairing stud anymore. Adam Boqvist may be a #1D, but he's not going to be THAT(Keith-like) #1D. He's probably going to be similar to Erik Karlsson, which is different, but fine. It requires you to build your blueline differently. Right now, the Hawks have a #2, a glut of #3-4 guys and some youth. Also, the forwards have to give them help as all skaters are required to play defense. It's not just the defenders, and the Hawks are severely lacking in the two way forward/skilled grit department.

We all don't realize how blessed we were as Hawks fans to have prime Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson at once.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
The shade that’s thrown at Joker ( for no reason) is absolutely hilarious. I’m okay with the trade but get real. Everyone liked Joker and were very high on him when he entered the league. Even when he was with Portland people were very high on him. Stop the nonsense. It’s okay that we traded a good player.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The shade that’s thrown at Joker ( for no reason) is absolutely hilarious. I’m okay with the trade but get real. Everyone liked Joker and were very high on him when he entered the league. Even when he was with Portland people were very high on him. Stop the nonsense. It’s okay that we traded a good player.
Jokiharju is a fine middle pairing PMD. He doesn't have a ton of offensive upside but his floor is really high. Given that the Hawks are a ceiling oriented scouting group(which I agree with btw) they viewed him as the odd man out. Not all of those defensive prospects are going to play for the Hawks. They traded from a position of strength for a position of need. Nothing wrong with that. You have to give to get. If Nylander becomes a 50-55 pt winger it's win-win deal, which is what GMs try to make. When pro sports GMs try to make deals, they're not trying to win trades, they're trying to help both teams.

Do I wish the Hawks traded him for a guy that's not a project? Absolutely. There is no reason to constantly whine about this deal. It's been a year, ppl need to get over it already.

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Outside of Captain Hyperbole, I haven't seen much shade. Beyond that, agree with all your points.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Yep. Maatta is fine. The issue with the Hawks D is that they don't have that bonafide #1 top pairing stud anymore. Adam Boqvist may be a #1D, but he's not going to be THAT(Keith-like) #1D. He's probably going to be similar to Erik Karlsson, which is different, but fine. It requires you to build your blueline differently. Right now, the Hawks have a #2, a glut of #3-4 guys and some youth. Also, the forwards have to give them help as all skaters are required to play defense. It's not just the defenders, and the Hawks are severely lacking in the two way forward/skilled grit department.

I agree. This is why unless one of the talented forwards fall (Holtz, Rossi, or Perfetti) the Hawks should look long and hard at Sanderson in the draft. Sanderson is an excellent defensive prospect with room to grow offensively. Boqvist is going to need a sound-defensive partner and the left-handed Sanderson would match well with Boqvist down the road.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I agree. This is why unless one of the talented forwards fall (Holtz, Rossi, or Perfetti) the Hawks should look long and hard at Sanderson in the draft. Sanderson is an excellent defensive prospect with room to grow offensively. Boqvist is going to need a sound-defensive partner and the left-handed Sanderson would match well with Boqvist down the road.
I'd love Sanderson at #16 but hate him at #9 or #10.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Other thank Musto, who is throwing shade?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Everyone downplays his skill set because he was traded. Hell if I remember correctly Im pretty sure you said you wouldn’t trade Joker for William Nylander let alone Alex.

Who is doing this?

Saying Boqvist and Mitchell are higher on the Hawks list is not down playing his skills.

I am and have been high on Willy Nylander so I would be shocked if I said that but weirder stuff has happened.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Who is doing this?

If you were on this forum pre Joker trade and post Joker trade it’s not that hard to see. It happens with every player Traded. People loved the kid when he first started. If he was on the team his upside is a 2 D man. Now that he was traded his ceiling is a 4.

Reactions: ChiHawk21

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If you were on this forum pre Joker trade and post Joker trade it’s not that hard to see. It happens with every player Traded. People loved the kid when he first started.

It is mostly Musto. The loud tends to Over power the many on here.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
I don't think anyone is saying he's a number 4. He simply fell down our depth chart as we drafted other dmen. That and the expansion draft probably sealed his fate.

Reactions: bwana63

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I don't think anyone is saying he's a number 4. He simply fell down our depth chart as we drafted other dmen. That and the expansion draft probably sealed his fate.

Expansion draft excuse for Joker being traded is probably the Dumbest argument I’ve ever seen. Teams don’t let cost controlled players go for that reason. Especially when you trade for 2 defenseman in the same off-season.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Not a chance. Not in a vacuum and certainly not when you consider their cap hits vs performance.
I mean comparing cap hits/value of an elc player to a non elc player isn’t fair and that’s not what he was trying to do. As far as impact to their teams last year goes, it’s a very valid argument. I still like Joker a lot but Maatta’s impact seems relativity underrated around here.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Jokiharju won me over with those ~16 games he played with the Hawks before being sent back down. The kid has some real talent and i'm still upset he was traded.

But Maatta was a top 4 dman on two Cup winners and is a very sound defensive player. Jokiharju would be very fortunate to have his game reach that level. Not saying it can't/won't happen, but he's got a long way to go before he's at Maatta's level.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Jokiharju won me over with those ~16 games he played with the Hawks before being sent back down. The kid has some real talent and i'm still upset he was traded.

In a vacuum, 100%, yes. But we have two RHD prospects that are better than Joker. Plus, Joker is expansion draft eligible, whereas the other 2 aren't. That was a good trade, IMO. Have to give to get.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Joki was fine. Q even said so.

We should have probably gotten more from the trade considered but I believe in Nylanders upside

Maatta is a better player but he's not making a huge impact imo and still can be a liability. Hard to complain for a depth filler, waiting for our prospects to develop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad