Changes coming to Blackhawks Pro Scouting

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
From Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts

12. Chicago had one of the largest scouting staffs in the NHL (if not the largest). They will also be making some cuts, mostly on the pro side.

Good.

The Blackhawks amateur scouting and European scouting has largely been great. The pro scouting on the other hand, has been a disaster, arguably since the first Oduya trade. The team's pro scouts have long overvalued the wrong qualities in a changing NHL, and failed to properly evaluate the talent on their own team or in their own system.

I'm not sure if Bowman made the call or somebody above him did, and I don't care. Any change at this point can only be an improvement.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Good to see it's mostly NHL scouts. Like JD said, the amateur and Euro scouting has been top notch and I was scared for a second thinking they'd get reduced.

Still sucks that people lose their jobs, but this probably won't hurt the Hawks performance wise.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
From Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts

Good.

The Blackhawks amateur scouting and European scouting has largely been great. The pro scouting on the other hand, has been a disaster, arguably since the first Oduya trade. The team's pro scouts have long overvalued the wrong qualities in a changing NHL, and failed to properly evaluate the talent on their own team or in their own system.

I'm not sure if Bowman made the call or somebody above him did, and I don't care. Any change at this point can only be an improvement.
Are you insinuating that the Oduya trade was bad?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Are you insinuating that the Oduya trade was bad?

God no. I've gone on record in previous threads saying the original Oduya trade is the best trade Stan Bowman ever made.

I'm saying that was the last truly smart trade the team made. They found an undervalued asset on another team that would perform well in a role the Blackhawks needed filled.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Panarin trade is the only bad pro level trade I can think of in recent years.

EDIT: I guess the Shaw trade too

Reactions: d rake

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Panarin trade is the only bad pro level trade I can think of in recent years.

EDIT: I guess the Shaw trade too
what others are there to choose from? i dont know what you are qualifying as a pro trade.
tuevo leddy buff raanta ladd we didnt get enough back in hindsight but it wasnt pros coming back. we paid to get shaw and laad back. trevor daley was a brutal, olesz was less then we thought for campbell even tho that was more of a contract dump he still had more value. danualt for fleish and weiss was a disaster. timonen for picks.

plus side skille for frolik, john scott and bollig got more then their worth, we won a cup with vermette (traded our 1st), panik for morin, manning for caggiula

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
Nylander>Jokiharju. I really think Nylander will come into his own next season. Man has top 6 level skill. And an underrated defensive game. Man really just needs to hit the weight room. I think he could be just as good as Willy.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The first was an "all in" move picking up two vets for another run at the cup. Didn't work out but prob worth the risk.
The second worked out fine. Another cup.
The Weise/Flash trade was bad immediately after it happened. Both those guys took turns being good (while the other played like crap) and them playing like that made it a linear trade for the season (Danault was about as good as the better one of them at any point that season).

A trade that still grinds my gears 4 years later.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The Weise/Flash trade was bad immediately after it happened. Both those guys took turns being good (while the other played like crap) and them playing like that made it a linear trade for the season (Danault was about as good as the better one of them at any point that season).

A trade that still grinds my gears 4 years later.

Defensively for sure but PD was a black hole on offense during that season.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Do you think Buffalo misses a 3rd line winger?

I only brought up that trade just because I knew it'd get you going.
Have you seen Buffalo lately? We might have saved Nylander’s career, even if I don’t necessarily agree with the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad