"Change of Scenery"

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don't think voracek counts at all. He was still 21-22 when Columbus traded him. Now he is hitting his prime. And he never looked bad at any point, just didn't produce at this level until now.

Brassard is a good example. Looked great when he was a rookie (25 pts in 31). Then when through various stages. There was even that weird season where Hitch had him gain 20 pounds and then he came out completely ineffective because he lost all of his agility.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
so you're denying that stumpy benefited from a change of scenery when he arrived in anaheim from chicago at the deadline in '03?

Yep. This thread is talking about guys who turned their careers around, who finally showed why they had so much promise. That wasn't Stumpy, not even close. And ignoring that, still yes. He went on a hot streak for 13 games. He scored a couple big goals in the playoffs, but he didn't light the world on fire or anything. His problem wasn't scenery, it was a combination of age and having a down year.

If you wanted to be a homer, there were a ton of examples you could've given instead. Cogs, Maroon, Lovejoy, and that's just off the current team. Even Kesler is a better example. Hell, if you narrowed it down to players the Ducks picked up at the 03 deadline, Stumpy's still probably not the best example of a change of scenery helping a guy.

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
Rich Peverley in Atlanta. Peter Mueller in Colorado. Ribiero in Dallas. Rene Bourque in Calgary.

Writing it off as BS and painting the issue as black and white "bust or no bust" is narrow minded and ignorant.

Agree with this. People and their labels, they love them.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yep. This thread is talking about guys who turned their careers around, who finally showed why they had so much promise. That wasn't Stumpy, not even close. And ignoring that, still yes. He went on a hot streak for 13 games. He scored a couple big goals in the playoffs, but he didn't light the world on fire or anything. His problem wasn't scenery, it was a combination of age and having a down year.

If you wanted to be a homer, there were a ton of examples you could've given instead. Cogs, Maroon, Lovejoy, and that's just off the current team. Even Kesler is a better example. Hell, if you narrowed it down to players the Ducks picked up at the 03 deadline, Stumpy's still probably not the best example of a change of scenery helping a guy.
yeah too bad OP still hasn't said "young players only." any player, young or old can benefit from a change in scenery. i've never heard anyone say that only young players are allowed to do that until now.

lovejoy and cogliano are good examples but kesler? seriously? now that is a horrible example. and according to your standards, he wouldn't even fit the bill considering he's not young and has already had success elsewhere

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
yeah too bad OP still hasn't said "young players only." any player, young or old can benefit from a change in scenery. i've never heard anyone say that only young players are allowed to do that until now.

lovejoy and cogliano are good examples but kesler? seriously? now that is a horrible example. and according to your standards, he wouldn't even fit the bill considering he's not young and has already had success elsewhere

Lol read the first post. Notice again you're the only one who didn't get it. I'd wager you never read the first post before posting, instead just seeing the title and trying to think up the worst example possible. The first post called for examples of young guys who weren't panning out, got a change of scenery, and finally fulfilled their potential. You gave him a 39-year old with 400 NHL goals to his credit. It'd be impressive if it wasn't so ridiculous.

As for Kesler, if you were talking straight up change of teams being good for the player, which this thread isn't, you'd have a point. He looks way better this year than last year, the trade seemed to breathe a little life into him. But more importantly, even within the context of this thread, which it doesn't fit, it's still a waaaaaaaay better than Stumpy.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lol read the first post. Notice again you're the only one who didn't get it. I'd wager you never read the first post before posting, instead just seeing the title and trying to think up the worst example possible. The first post called for examples of young guys who weren't panning out, got a change of scenery, and finally fulfilled their potential. You gave him a 39-year old with 400 NHL goals to his credit. It'd be impressive if it wasn't so ridiculous.

As for Kesler, if you were talking straight up change of teams being good for the player, which this thread isn't, you'd have a point. He looks way better this year than last year, the trade seemed to breathe a little life into him. But more importantly, even within the context of this thread, which it doesn't fit, it's still a waaaaaaaay better than Stumpy.

the first post simply uses kane as an example and doesn't specifically mention that it has to be a young player. for some reason, you're over analyzing the thread to the point where it's quite hilarious. i bet you're very fun to be around in real life

the fact is, stumpy had a down couple of seasons with chicago and suddenly went off when he came to anaheim and was a huge part of the late season stretch. that fits the "guy benefiting from a change in scenery" bill perfectly

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
the first post simply uses kane as an example and doesn't specifically mention that it has to be a young player. for some reason, you're over analyzing the thread to the point where it's quite hilarious. i bet you're very fun to be around in real life

the fact is, stumpy had a down couple of seasons with chicago and suddenly went off when he came to anaheim and was a huge part of the late season stretch. that fits the "guy benefiting from a change in scenery" bill perfectly

Lol oh man. The OP specifically mentioned the opinion many have that sometimes a player with potential needs a change of scenery to fulfill it, and gave his own opinion that he didn't believe in it and that most busts are irredeemable. Like I said, everyone got the memo but you.

But, like I also said, even ignoring that, it's still an awful example. For one, he didn't have a couple down years in Chicago, he got old, and even then, his first year there he still scored at a good pace. And after the trade, he didn't rejuvenate his career or anything, he got hot for 13 games, that's it. He wasn't even that good in the playoffs (but to be fair, no one was outside of Jiggy). Disagree? Look at what happened after that playoffs. He had to wait until November(and an injury) for a contract, and cleared waivers in the process. Yeah, he really turned it around because of the change in scenery. The scenery wasn't Stumpy's problem, he just got old, that's all.

I'm not overanalyzing anything, I just hate it when Ducks fans give up bad homer answers in threads like this, and this one was by far the worst I've ever seen and ever will see. Seriously man, it was brutal.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Lol oh man. The OP specifically mentioned the opinion many have that sometimes a player with potential needs a change of scenery to fulfill it, and gave his own opinion that he didn't believe in it and that most busts are irredeemable. Like I said, everyone got the memo but you.

But, like I also said, even ignoring that, it's still an awful example. For one, he didn't have a couple down years in Chicago, he got old, and even then, his first year there he still scored at a good pace. And after the trade, he didn't rejuvenate his career or anything, he got hot for 13 games, that's it. He wasn't even that good in the playoffs (but to be fair, no one was outside of Jiggy). Disagree? Look at what happened after that playoffs. He had to wait until November(and an injury) for a contract, and cleared waivers in the process. Yeah, he really turned it around because of the change in scenery. The scenery wasn't Stumpy's problem, he just got old, that's all.

I'm not overanalyzing anything, I just hate it when Ducks fans give up bad homer answers in threads like this, and this one was by far the worst I've ever seen and ever will see. Seriously man, it was brutal.

his play after that season doesn't matter. it's his play with the ducks after the trade that is what's being discussed. and there's no denying he benefited from the trade hence "a change in scenery"

well if i were you, i wouldn't worry about the responses of other ducks fans. i'd actually worry more about the fact that you're drastically over-analyzing a simple thread for god knows what reason. and it's not a ducks homer pick at all considering stumpy was one of my favorite NHL'ers long before i ever became a ducks fan

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
his play after that season doesn't matter. it's his play with the ducks after the trade that is what's being discussed. and there's no denying he benefited from the trade hence "a change in scenery"

well if i were you, i wouldn't worry about the responses of other ducks fans. i'd actually worry more about the fact that you're drastically over-analyzing a simple thread for god knows what reason. and it's not a ducks homer pick at all considering stumpy was one of my favorite NHL'ers long before i ever became a ducks fan

I'm not over analyzing anything, it's just pretty obvious you didn't even understand the concept of the thread, and it's funny to see you actually try and justify it.

And the only benefit he had was going from a non-playoff team to a playoff-team. He got hot for a couple games, that's it. It's not like he went from being a third liner in Chicago to being a star in Anaheim. He went from being a third liner in Chicago to a third liner in Anaheim, and was ok at best outside of his ridiculous hot streak.

I don't even think you realize that he spent 60% of his tenure as a Duck not really doing a lot. You totally missed the point of why I brought up the season after that. It wasn't about his play, he put up good numbers in Detroit. It was about how the league perceived his play. How good do you think he was if absolutely no one wanted him following that playoff run?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Dale Weise, as someone already mentioned. Was a nobody with the Rangers and Canucks. With the Habs he's actually recieved a chance to be something more. Though he should be playing on the 3rd or 4th line.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I'm going to go back a few years and say Jason Arnott.

Immature and hated in Edmonton (also didn't live up to his ceiling), traded to NJ and was practically forced by Stevens to live with him, then POOF Cup champion a few years later, and a great leader.

c0rn1

Mar 15, 2012
Erik Johnson?
Look at what he was when he got traded and where he is now.
An excellent #2 even a solid #1.

Godlike13

Dec 20, 2011
Erik Johnson?
Look at what he was when he got traded and where he is now.
An excellent #2 even a solid #1.

That trade happened almost 5 years ago. That isn't a chase of change of scenery but a young player developing.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
3349.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad