"Change of Scenery"

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Now that Evander Kane has been traded to the Buffalo Sabres, the most common saying I've heard since the trade (and not just limited to Kane, it's also towards trades in general), is that "sometimes people with potential need a change of scenery to meet their potential."

Just wondering what were some recent or old examples of players where a change of scenery benefitted them. Wondering because it seems like the change of scenery stuff is BS, and that if a player is a bust, then he's just an irredeemable bust.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Rich Peverley in Atlanta. Peter Mueller in Colorado. Ribiero in Dallas. Rene Bourque in Calgary.

Writing it off as BS and painting the issue as black and white "bust or no bust" is narrow minded and ignorant.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Devan Dubnyk.

Small sample size but he needed to get away from the mess known as the Oilers goalie coaching staff and have a real goalie the played NHL hockey at a high level to teach him to hone his craft..and to use his size affectively. Sean Burke did that.

But the OT goal he allowed the other day looked like Dubby of old.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Kyle Turris has been a good 2nd line C since the day he showed up in Ottawa. He was getting fourth line minutes in Phoenix.

He also came with a few reputations that were disproved quickly:

1) Poor defensively - He actually has good two way skills

2) Bad attitude - Never any signs of that in Ottawa. He has a great attitude and wears an A.

3) Wanted huge money - He is way underpaid on a contract with term. Great value for the Sens.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Rich Peverley in Atlanta. Peter Mueller in Colorado. Ribiero in Dallas. Rene Bourque in Calgary.

Writing it off as BS and painting the issue as black and white "bust or no bust" is narrow minded and ignorant.

Thank you. This board is ridiculous with the extremes. It's either one way or the other, no in between ever.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Dan Cleary bounced around the league and was regarded as a bust before he got to Detroit.

I think of Larry Murphy being hounded out of Toronto as well, straight into back to back cups.

Filpulla to Tampa Bay. Wanted to get away from Babcock, and has blossomed.

Jyrgen

Oct 10, 2005
Maybe it can work for Kane but he needs to clean up his act and get off to a good start with his team mates.

There was problem down the road and the Buff clothes throwing etc was just the last nail in the coffin.

Johnny O wanted to beat the hell out of him in the locker a couple of years ago and that was just one of the things.

Supposed to have grabbed Kane by the neck and throwed him against the wall and held him there.

Some of the older core broke it up before it went full fist fight.

Kane has been an annoying A ..Hole .. For like always as rumors have it.

ZeroPT*

would anyone give a **** if we traded what we did for Benn? He was on record suggesting homosexual incest to the Sedins. And he's a captain.

Meanwhile Kane the cancer, ebola and black guy takes pictures with money and gets to team meetings in a track suit and he has massive character issues. He doesn't. He's just an immature kid. Disrespecting the dress code is ******. Like, you're a pro. Come on now. It's immaturity, not character problems, it was blown waaaaaaay out of proportion. Having said all that I honestly don't care. If he produces 50 points (his current pace) playing with a bum shoulder, messed up foot and hand, while playing with 3rd liners he can show up to team meetings in a onesie for all I care.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Now that Evander Kane has been traded to the Buffalo Sabres, the most common saying I've heard since the trade (and not just limited to Kane, it's also towards trades in general), is that "sometimes people with potential need a change of scenery to meet their potential."

Just wondering what were some recent or old examples of players where a change of scenery benefitted them. Wondering because it seems like the change of scenery stuff is BS, and that if a player is a bust, then he's just an irredeemable bust.

Regarding the bolded, just re-arrange your office, bedroom, jogging path, kitchen, or other ... then ask yourself the same question.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
It's hilarious to me what people think constitutes "character issues" and "troubled" and "controversial" in an NHL player.

Kane took a picture with money and wore a track suit. Seriously. That makes him a "bad boy" in the NHL apparently. He wouldn't be in the top 50 "bad boys" or troublemakers in any other pro sports league. I mean, jeez, think about the behavior we accept as routine from NFL players.

Kane isn't a cancer. He was just an immature kid, which a lot of players are when they are 20-ish, and which players grow out of when they grow up a little more. He had the misfortune of going through his immature phase in the age of Twitter and social media, which previous generations of players never had to deal with. He also had the misfortune of being a black player in Winnipeg, which I'm sure didn't help him get the benefit of the doubt for his supposed transgressions.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
would anyone give a **** if we traded what we did for Benn? He was on record suggesting homosexual incest to the Sedins. And he's a captain.

Meanwhile Kane the cancer, ebola and black guy takes pictures with money and gets to team meetings in a track suit and he has massive character issues. He doesn't. He's just an immature kid. Disrespecting the dress code is ******. Like, you're a pro. Come on now. It's immaturity, not character problems, it was blown waaaaaaay out of proportion. Having said all that I honestly don't care. If he produces 50 points (his current pace) playing with a bum shoulder, messed up foot and hand, while playing with 3rd liners he can show up to team meetings in a onesie for all I care.

After five years in the league, still being immature about **** like dress codes IS a character problem.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Kane has talent and might turn it around in Buffalo and that will be interesting to watch. I would wear a track suit if it meant I could leave -30 degree Winipeg.:laugh:

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Don't care whether he's immature or a team cancer, result is the same, Kane's been around for many years now he knows the rules, it's a professional league, no time no room to babysit a millionaire. Good luck to him

Derfel*

Note - this is Kane's second "change of scenery" in his short career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad