"Change of Scenery"

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Is this today's "conventional ideology is wrong, look at me I'm so edgy" thread?

Change of scenery is pretty simple and valid concept.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Dubinsky. Sort-of-overpaid tweener center who took too many penalties, now a leader in Columbus. Kinda wish he figured how to stay healthy, though.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Quite recently Perron from Edmonton to Pittsburgh. He was slumping hard in Edmonton, and is doing awesome post-trade. Of course, that's mostly because the old scenery was a team where literally nobody was playing well, but still.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Steve Thomas had almost 1000 points in the league, and that was his 19th season. Close the thread boys, because we're not going to get a worse example than this.

:laugh:

what does any of that have to do with the fact that he benefited from the trade and change of scenery? OP didn't say the player had to be young or anything like that

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Devin Dubynk. Edmonton almost killed his career.

Jay Bouwmeester.

Plays for Florida makes team Canada in 2004 and 2006.

Signs with Calgary, becomes a nobody, a bust, makes his way to St.Louis makes team Canada again, lol.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You can probably lump "change of scenery" and "wake up call" into one and the same category for a fee examples in this thread.

Definitely a valid thing that occurs in professional sports.

Dubnyk, Seguin, and Brassard are 3 that immediately come to mind.

Kane will eventually be another one who really benefits from the change in address.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

what does any of that have to do with the fact that he benefited from the trade and change of scenery? OP didn't say the player had to be young or anything like that

He pretty much did. The entire point of the thread was to argue whether a young guy with potential can fulfill it via a change of scenery, or are guys simply irredeemable busts. A 39-year old with 400 NHL goals who went on a hot streak might not be the absolute furthest thing from that, but by golly it's close.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Daniel Briere completely changed as a player after being traded from Phoenix to Buffalo.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Kane has talent and might turn it around in Buffalo and that will be interesting to watch. I would wear a track suit if it meant I could leave -30 degree Winipeg.:laugh:

Get a load of this guy... -30. On a nice warm sunny day maybe :naughty: Although it's been extremely mild here this winter. -40 now... okay maybe ;)

It's hilarious to me what people think constitutes "character issues" and "troubled" and "controversial" in an NHL player.

Kane took a picture with money and wore a track suit. Seriously. That makes him a "bad boy" in the NHL apparently. He wouldn't be in the top 50 "bad boys" or troublemakers in any other pro sports league. I mean, jeez, think about the behavior we accept as routine from NFL players.

Kane isn't a cancer. He was just an immature kid, which a lot of players are when they are 20-ish, and which players grow out of when they grow up a little more. He had the misfortune of going through his immature phase in the age of Twitter and social media, which previous generations of players never had to deal with. He also had the misfortune of being a black player in Winnipeg, which I'm sure didn't help him get the benefit of the doubt for his supposed transgressions.

I'm still on the side of agreeing with you but it's such a relief not having to be one of the people constantly defending him.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
are you saying he got traded twice?

It's a joke, it's kinda clear from his quoting "change of scenery" like he did.. he means literally, as Kane has had... You know from Atlanta to Winnipeg being the actual change of scenery.

I'd say Nick Leddy seems to be filling that label this year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
would anyone give a **** if we traded what we did for Benn? He was on record suggesting homosexual incest to the Sedins. And he's a captain.

Meanwhile Kane the cancer, ebola and black guy takes pictures with money and gets to team meetings in a track suit and he has massive character issues. He doesn't. He's just an immature kid. Disrespecting the dress code is ******. Like, you're a pro. Come on now. It's immaturity, not character problems, it was blown waaaaaaay out of proportion. Having said all that I honestly don't care. If he produces 50 points (his current pace) playing with a bum shoulder, messed up foot and hand, while playing with 3rd liners he can show up to team meetings in a onesie for all I care.

Kane's issues are the same issues he's had since he came into the league, and he doesn't seem to be getting over them. He absolutely has character problems. What was that, Benn's first off ice incident, that he apologized for, and wasn't much anyway?

Dubinsky. Sort-of-overpaid tweener center who took too many penalties, now a leader in Columbus. Kinda wish he figured how to stay healthy, though.

This. He was an immature headcase with the Rangers that took stupid penalties every other shift. He's 3x the player he was with the Jackets than he was with us.

James Neal? Christian Ehrhoff?

James Neal was really young when traded out of Dallas and showed to be a good goal scorer. How is that a "change of scenery" doing him good?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Kane's issues are the same issues he's had since he came into the league, and he doesn't seem to be getting over them. He absolutely has character problems. What was that, Benn's first off ice incident, that he apologized for, and wasn't much anyway?

This. He was an immature headcase with the Rangers that took stupid penalties every other shift. He's 3x the player he was with the Jackets than he was with us.

James Neal was really young when traded out of Dallas and showed to be a good goal scorer. How is that a "change of scenery" doing him good?

Are you saying wearing a tracksuit to a team meeting is worse than making incestuous homophobic comments about people on a radio broadcast? If not then what Kane did also "wasn't much anyways"

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
It's a joke, it's kinda clear from his quoting "change of scenery" like he did.. he means literally, as Kane has had... You know from Atlanta to Winnipeg being the actual change of scenery.

I'd say Nick Leddy seems to be filling that label this year.

Oh wow. i gotya.

And as an isles fan hes our best dman most games. I think he just fits in so much better with our style of play and the bigger role has made him

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He pretty much did. The entire point of the thread was to argue whether a young guy with potential can fulfill it via a change of scenery, or are guys simply irredeemable busts. A 39-year old with 400 NHL goals who went on a hot streak might not be the absolute furthest thing from that, but by golly it's close.

yes sire

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

The original post uses the words "potential" and "bust" more than once, was inspired by Evander Kane, and the entire concept of a "change of scenery" is overwhelmingly suggested for high draft picks/guys with high potential who hadn't really broke out. Note how every other example in this thread follows that theme.

Seriously, awful, awful, awful example.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
A change of scenery is not about an actual change in scenery, but a shock to the player to get his butt in gear. Some of these kids have had their butts kissed since they were 6 years old, and being traded is the first time someone has indirectly said "we don't want you". Pride and ego drive that player to prove that team wrong, where they may have remained complacent for their entire career had they not been traded.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
Dan Cleary is a great example. A highly drafted guy that never lived up to his potential, was almost out of the league before Detroit have him a shot and for six years was a consistent 20 goal, 40 point player for them and was great on the PK. Was a huge piece of their 2008 cup team.

I think it's absolutely true for guys to need a change of scenery. Especially for guys with some character issues to get into a place with good veteran leadership and a good locker room to tone them down a bit and be more of a team player.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
The original post uses the words "potential" and "bust" more than once, was inspired by Evander Kane, and the entire concept of a "change of scenery" is overwhelmingly suggested for high draft picks/guys with high potential who hadn't really broke out. Note how every other example in this thread follows that theme.

Seriously, awful, awful, awful example.

so you're denying that stumpy benefited from a change of scenery when he arrived in anaheim from chicago at the deadline in '03?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad