Speculation: Chances of a) Ladd returning, and if so b) being captain again

janneydraketkachuk

Jun 17, 2014
if we can get a piece that can contribute next year at the draft, one that makes us likely to push for playoffs, I wonder if Ladd would take 6.5/4.

Adding Ladd, Connor, and one of Matthews, Laine, pul, (perhaps even Dubois or a move for Drouin) along with playing Stuart less and Helly more would make us a pretty daunting team for the remainder of that contract.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
By the end of the year he'll have won 3 Stanley cups. Its not like he's an aging star trying to win one before he retires. I doubt first choice is ensuring he's on a contender. It'll probably be a combination of money and city since he's a family man.

Pro players in any sport play to win. We can agree to disagree.
I recall Ladd saying he's not interested in building for the future last year. Don't think much will change if/when he wins again.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think the ship has sailed and we are going in a different direction. Aside from that, I also think a team will offer Ladd 6 years at 6+ million. Perhaps close to Kesler money.

I'm not convinced that someone will give him that. Certainly there are teams that it would make sense for them to have that lead sort of leadership in the room (Edm, Caro, Fla..), but it has to work long-term for them as well.

If he & Chi do well in the playoffs, yep he gets it. If not, I really do see a return to Wpg being in the cards. Could we use him, for sure. But we won't be in on him for 6 x 6, so his price or more preferably term would have to come down

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Think about Ladds generally reliable 40-50 points a year
Let it sink in
Chevy better pick up a proven veteran or it is going to be another long year.
I too don't understand some of the comments regarding Ladd truly mind boggling ?
Over rated - how exactly ?
I can understand the reluctance for 6 years by some but I have no problem with it at all
Oh well
Fingers crossed we can get him back

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
You can go on all you want. It's not gonna change my mind. He's moved on. The Jets have moved on. He's not a Jet anymore and IMO, it's unlikely he becomes one again.

I think it's extremely unlikely as well but pretending that he wouldn't help this team and isn't a very valuable player is laughable.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Who the hell is pretending he isn't a valuable player? He is, he's just not gonna be on the JETS next season and I think people need to accept this.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Who the hell is pretending he isn't a valuable player? He is, he's just not gonna be on the JETS next season and I think people need to accept this.

Need is a strong statement.

I don't know I think there is a chance remember money is a
strong motivator.

So will agree to disagree

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Chevy has said on a few occasions now he's not closing any doors

At the very least they'll have those conversations in the summer.

Who knows. You may be right but it's not a sure thing yet.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Depends on his reasons for leaving. If it was a personal motivator that got him to leave instead of money or term then we have a zero percent chance of his coming back. If he indeed turned down the kind of dollars that were rumoured to have been offered then I'm wondering if there wasn't some other factor in play.

FWIW my gut says he's gone for good.

m.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Looking at projections of our probable lineup for next year I think it may be less likely Ladd comes back than I previously thought. We can have a pretty good forward group without him, though his experience will be missed. We are not likely to bounce back too well without him.

I think now it depends on the cap. If it goes down, even a little I think the chances of him coming back go up as fewer teams will be able to afford him. I hope the previous 6 years term is off the table though. I would still like him back for 4 years and I wouldn't mind paying him 6-6.5 over that term. He may not get another offer that good if the cap shrinks. Otherwise though I don't see us needing him badly enough to commit for 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad