Speculation: Chances of a) Ladd returning, and if so b) being captain again

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Curious to see opinions here. I happen to think that unless Ladd really shines in the playoffs, decent chance he returns.

Given that there will be others wanting him, I'll start this as:
a) 20% &
b) 90% (I'd suppose they'd almost automatically make him captain again)

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
A) 0%. He will come back.
That's what I pick.

If he did come back,
B)99.9% that he would be captain.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Curious to see opinions here. I happen to think that unless Ladd really shines in the playoffs, decent chance he returns.

Given that there will be others wanting him, I'll start this as:
a) 20% &
b) 90% (I'd suppose they'd almost automatically make him captain again)

I'll say 30% chance he returns.

If no new captain has been named 100% 99% he is captain again.
If a new captain has been named chances of a returned Ladd being captain goes to 50/50 but chance of him returning drops to <10%.

Did I miss any bases? :laugh:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Where's the C) option?
C) 0%.
That's what I pick.

Huh? It wasn't a multiple choice question it was a multi part question.

To the OP I'm really curious as to how the free agent market shakes out this summer. If when his agent goes asking around his value isn't what it was perceived, I could see it as a good chance of him coming back. To answer b, I would say 50-50 him being captain again. It's not like the team excelled under his leadership. Might be a good way to change captains without stripping him of the captaincy.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Hard to say what A is. Depends on how many teams have the space in the summer. I'll say 10-20%. I think there is goodwill there, he likes it here and would come back for the right deal. If that right deal is ours, it's ours.

If he comes back, my answer for B is 100%. I can't see a scenario where he comes back and is not the C.

White Out 403*

5% he returns
0% captain. You don't slap the captains C back on someone who refused to negotiate a reasonable deal to stay here.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
5% he returns
0% captain. You don't slap the captains C back on someone who refused to negotiate a reasonable deal to stay here.

If he comes back he DID negotiate a reasonable deal. He is entitled to check out the options. If in fact he comes back for a reasonable deal he did us a big favour by returning 2 good pieces first.

Derfel*

A) 50% chance he comes back
B) 50% chance he gets the C if he comes back

Derfel*

Or, he made a sacrifice for the team by leaving his family for a few months to play for another team in the playoffs, and by doing so got the team picks and a prospect. That's leadership! :handclap:

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
a) probably 10%? i just don't see it -why would he come back unless we were highest bidder or at least very close to it?
b) 90%? it'd be kind of awkward to not have him C (as much as I think it's a stupid useless made up position that really matters very little ;) )

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
a) Really hard to say since we don't yet know all of the parameters, such as what the salary cap will be next season. I am a bit skeptical, given that by all accounts the Jets made a very fair offer in the summer which he turned down, versus Buff who legitimately wanted to be here and took a bit of a discount. That said, if the UFA market isn't want Ladd's agent thought it would be, he might circle around again but then I'd expect Chevy to drive a miser's bargain (i.e. not just offer up last summer's offer again). So maybe 20-30%?

b) I'd say 100% he'd be the captain again if he returned. I also agree with Mortimer that whether the Jets name a new captain before the summer impacts the % chance on question (a)

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
a) 3.33% (1 out of 30 chance, as any other team)
b) 50% (could see it either way. If they name a captain before he rejoins, then I don't see him taking it back)

Ladd as a UFA is no closer to being a Jet again than being in any other franchise. If Ladd really wanted to sign here and take a discount, he would have signed when they were close last year. It's going to be a business decision between him and his agent. His kids are young enough that he can move to another city, no problem. This will be his last big contract (likely), so he needs to cash in if he can. His wife's practice here would likely be a minor financial consideration considering the NHL dollars on the table.

As with any other strong UFA, I would say it's unlikely he signs here.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
5% he returns

or the team refused to negotiate a reasonable deal for him to want to sign. Other teams find a way to keep their good players while working within the cap (Chicago). Will they always try to nickle and dime every good player going forward (I don't know if nickel and dime is the right word but perhaps the difference between what both parties wanted in the grand scheme was) but there is alot of crap on this roster that have gotten more than they deserve and have not been dealt with.

Personally not sure if he was worth the 6X6 that was rumored to be but it's not an outrageous ask on his part considering other recent contracts (Kesler, Giordano, etc)

I don't really think he'll be back anyway and if the small chance he is maybe he would be happy giving up the C to Wheeler anyway.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Who has the cap room and desire to give him $20-25m+?

Does he want to go there?

I think there's a 50% chance the Jets give him one of the five best offers he gets in July. What that means to him, I have no idea.

a) abstain
b) 90%

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If he came back, he would be the captain again.

As for IF..... all we see is what was said in public or the "politically correct" thing to say by Chevy and Ladd. We have no idea how pissed off Ladd is that this happened. Sure it's business, but how many people fight with their bosses over salary for the better part of a year, end up leaving, then come back later?

Chevy as so much admitted our money is in our youth.

Derfel*

Is Ladd's house up for sale? Is his wife wrapping up her work here?

The house is not up for sale (yet) - they have a condo/apartment in Chicago supplied by the team right now from what I've heard. I don't think Mrs. Ladd is working in Winnipeg, but that could be a temporary leave.

I would guess the family would stay in Winnipeg for the time being until the season is over, with occasional visits to Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad