Speculation: Chances of a) Ladd returning, and if so b) being captain again

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
100 & 100.... I hope

50 & 100
Part of me hopes this was the end game from the get go.

Derfel*

Why? Because he produced at a 1st line rate while being "perceived" as an "ok" captain at best? I really don't get the dislike at all.

Exactly - complaints abound about a lack of talent on the team, and our talent goes elsewhere taking veteran leadership with it and everyone seems happy. No sense is made here sometimes.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Exactly - complaints abound about a lack of talent on the team, and our talent goes elsewhere taking veteran leadership with it and everyone seems happy. No sense is made here sometimes.

You'd rather be capped out with guys like Ladd, Stu, Pavs? ;) Overpaying Andrew Ladd wasn't going to help our talent situation. Personally I think he's among the most overrated players in the league.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
If Ladd comes back, I hope it's only because other teams don't want to pay him as a 1st liner and we sign him to 2nd/3rd line tweener money for a few years. That said, it would be a very nice thing of him to re-sign after getting us assets first :D

a) 10%
b) hopefully 0% but if he does come back I can see them giving it back. But it would defeat the whole purpose of this "culture change" and us getting rid of bad leadership.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I think the ship has sailed and we are going in a different direction. Aside from that, I also think a team will offer Ladd 6 years at 6+ million. Perhaps close to Kesler money.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Ladd will get quite a few offers from other teams and I think his first choice will be:
A) less money on a contender,
B) Lots of money on a rebuild team,
C)everything else after.
I just don't see us getting him back.
Not sure Chevy even offers him another contract to be honest.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
You'd rather be capped out with guys like Ladd, Stu, Pavs? ;) Overpaying Andrew Ladd wasn't going to help our talent situation. Personally I think he's among the most overrated players in the league.

You compared Ladd to Stuart and Pavs ?

Ladd for the last 4 years was COMPLETELY UNDERPAID for the 1st line statistics he put up. Ladd wasn't the talent problem. Was he elite talent NO. Was he asking 8-10 million per year elite talent money ? NO

Is he currently worth 6 million per year compared to other forwards putting up the same statistics. More than likely YES.

I don't understand the bandwagon hate towards Ladd.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
iIthink the 6 years AT 5 YEARS AND FOR LESS MONEY

similar to Vanik he was offered 7 mill for 7 seasons with NYI B4 the trade deadline and he took 7 mill for 3 years with Minny.

I predict 5 years at 5.5 mill.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
iIthink the 6 years AT 5 YEARS AND FOR LESS MONEY

similar to Vanik he was offered 7 mill for 7 seasons with NYI B4 the trade deadline and he took 7 mill for 3 years with Minny.

I predict 5 years at 5.5 mill.

Ladd will get 6x6 no problem
He's a very good player

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I think Ladd is back if we win the draft lottery. The Jets go all in with their young talent (Connor, Matthews, Helle) and their cheap contracts and try to get Ladd to lead the group to the playoffs.

I don't see Ladd returning in any other scenario.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
You compared Ladd to Stuart and Pavs ?

Ladd for the last 4 years was COMPLETELY UNDERPAID for the 1st line statistics he put up. Ladd wasn't the talent problem. Was he elite talent NO. Was he asking 8-10 million per year elite talent money ? NO

Is he currently worth 6 million per year compared to other forwards putting up the same statistics. More than likely YES.

I don't understand the bandwagon hate towards Ladd.

I appreciate that he spent those years here under a very reasonable contract and I certainly don't hate him. He's a classy guy, and one of the best character guys in the game. I just don't want him on the team and perhaps that comes off as being harsh sometimes.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
I think there's a good chance no one offers him more than we did but hopefully they give Wheeler the C before free agency.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Oh boy 2nd/3rd line tweener, bad leader, hoping there is a 0% chance we re-sign a player of Ladd's calibre. Hilarious.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't hate Ladd at all, great guy, great captain for 6 years or so, But i just feel it's time to move on. Transition to the younger guys. It should have been done a couple years ago now. I don't think he's in the future plans, they couldn't agree on a contract.. He's moved on and I think the Jets have also. Now is time for the fans to move on.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I don't hate Ladd at all, great guy, great captain for 6 years or so, But i just feel it's time to move on. Transition to the younger guys. It should have been done a couple years ago now. I don't think he's in the future plans, they couldn't agree on a contract.. He's moved on and I think the Jets have also. Now is time for the fans to move on.

If people are really hoping for a "bounce back" next year not signing Ladd (if the contract was right) would be silly. Contract situation aside, there are plenty of guys the Jets need to "move on from" and Ladd is near the very bottom of that list.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
My issue is term. I'd really like Ladd for 3 or 4 years. That would be excellent. Don't really want him for 6 at his rate.

5% chance he comes back

100% chance he gets offered captain (assuming its a 4+ yr contract)

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If people are really hoping for a "bounce back" next year not signing Ladd (if the contract was right) would be silly. Contract situation aside, there are plenty of guys the Jets need to "move on from" and Ladd is near the very bottom of that list.

You can go on all you want. It's not gonna change my mind. He's moved on. The Jets have moved on. He's not a Jet anymore and IMO, it's unlikely he becomes one again.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I think Ladd will get quite a few offers from other teams and I think his first choice will be:
A) less money on a contender,
B) Lots of money on a rebuild team,
C)everything else after.
I just don't see us getting him back.
Not sure Chevy even offers him another contract to be honest.

By the end of the year he'll have won 3 Stanley cups. Its not like he's an aging star trying to win one before he retires. I doubt first choice is ensuring he's on a contender. It'll probably be a combination of money and city since he's a family man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad