Speculation: Chances of a) Ladd returning, and if so b) being captain again

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I would of been OK with keeping Ladd, but we really needed to start going in a new direction as for the leadership.

I doubt Chevy will try to resign him, unless Ladd wants to come back underpaid.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Yeah I get all of that, Ladd just represents the 'old' core of them team as he wore the C. I want to see something new next year, and to me that's Wheeler wearing the C and young players continuing to replace expiring older ones like Stuart Stafford etc. Not so much about the "Atlanta" players, just the old and slow ones.

To be fair though, I don't think that "old" core was really ever the issue. They are a solid core

They need(ed) better support pieces.

I think its fair to expect Ladd to get re-signed. Him and Chevy have left the door open for that to happen in the summer.

I would give it a 50% chance that they have talks, and 25% chance overall he comes back.

If he's back, 99% sure he'd get the C - as long as he wants it. He may not want the C for whatever reason, just like how Buff doesn't like wearing a letter for media reasons yet is one of the biggest leaders & one of the most loved guys in the room.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I do not think Ladd will be back.

Just like when the Flames finally moved Iginla, too late IMO.

Time to shake up the core and move forward.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I hope he doesn't come back. This team needs to bury the Atlanta days and form a new core. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, and it's not like I hate the guy, but I really want to see a shiny new Jets product next fall.

Posts like this make me a little happy some children have to deal with this misery just like Atlanta fans did. Serves some people right. :squint:

Yeah I get all of that, Ladd just represents the 'old' core of them team as he wore the C. I want to see something new next year, and to me that's Wheeler wearing the C and young players continuing to replace expiring older ones like Stuart Stafford etc. Not so much about the "Atlanta" players, just the old and slow ones.

So you want to throw "Atlanta" out there and then go and say Wheeler should be captain? Man some people really want their cake and to eat it too. :laugh: So sad honestly.

As for the OP I'd say...
20%
&
95%

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Snapchat_459569352686941904.jpg

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
If the deal was 4 years, I'd still love to have him back. Not very likely.

I doubt he'd be captain if he did come back I imagine they'd make Wheeler captain and give Ladd an 'A'.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
The Atlanta crap is stupid, and just downright a shot at the guys that have carried this team, including carrying them to playoffs the 1 year we had a deep team to support. Ladd and as well as Little are so unappreciated and take too many shots by the fan base. 2 Guys that have been top 3 along with Wheeler who also suited up in Atlanta. If you really want to dump the "Atlanta guys", I am sure many teams including cup contenders would love them in there top 6 forwards or top 4 defence.

I have an idea, we suck so lets blame and get rid of all the guys that play to there potential year in and year out, that score at a top 6 rate, or are solid top d-men. For unproven, overrated young players.

Yes, I am all for getting rid of Pavs, and Stuart. I guess Thorburn, but hes really not bad if he was planted on the 4th line/ 13th forward.

But the main Atlanta core.... Wheeler, Little, Buff, Enstrom.... No way. Not until it handcuffs us such as Ladd did. And I would love Ladd back, just not for over 6. Or over 5 years. Which won't happen. As for Enstrom, only if it makes us a better team. Not for unproven picks or prospects at this point yet.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
If the deal was 4 years, I'd still love to have him back. Not very likely.

I doubt he'd be captain if he did come back I imagine they'd make Wheeler captain and give Ladd an 'A'.

I would pay Ladd, 6.2-6.3 per if it was for 4 years. At 5 years term I would drop that to 6, and if its 6, a 5.8 cap max. The issue, Ladd wants 6 years, him and the team agreed on 6 it sounds like. And he wanted over 6, so if 6X6 did not get it done even at the bitter end. He is not coming back. There is a good 4-5 teams in the league that will pay Ladd 6-6.5 for 6 years. None of those teams are contenders, or even really playoff teams though.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The 2 biggest factors to him returning are...

SALARY CAP - if the cap goes down Ladd will have a hard time getting what he wants. If the numbers aren't there for him Winnipeg's current "best offer" may be in the running. Lots of friends here.

OTHER TEAMS - it will only take one other team to drive that price up and out of our range.

BUT unlike many other UFA situations I don't think we get overlooked immediately or that we have to over pay for him.

If a 5 year deal with a low enough AAV is in the mix with other teams offers then I like our chances or getting him back. 2016 - 17 Ladd is very likely going to have a much better year than hernia surgery / back injury Ladd.

I would go 40% he returns (assuming the cap goes down) and 100% captain if he did.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I think there is an approximately 10% chance he'll return to Winnipeg. If any of the rising teams in the playoffs this year are willing to get close to his asking price (ex. Florida) then I think he'll go that direction. But if the only teams making competitive financial offers are teams like Edmonton and Buffalo, I think there is a good chance he'll end up in Winnipeg again.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think there is an approximately 10% chance he'll return to Winnipeg. If any of the rising teams in the playoffs this year are willing to get close to his asking price (ex. Florida) then I think he'll go that direction. But if the only teams making competitive financial offers are teams like Edmonton and Buffalo, I think there is a good chance he'll end up in Winnipeg again.

This is kind of how I feel somewhere around a 10% chance. My guess is a better team than us will make room in their budget and pay him more than we will but he would be open to coming back IMO. I certainly get the sense TNSE have not closed the door and they made him a heck of an offer from what I am to understand so never say never I guess. It is a new era now with a flat cap and the trend to pay younger players so we'll see?

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
IMO The teams that have the best chance to sign Ladd along with the money and motivation to do so are (in ascending order):

Anaheim
Florida
Winnipeg
Coyotes (bunch of Jets wannabes)
Flames (take my frolik and now my captain)
Vancouver (hometown, pretty much the only reason I'd go there)

Toronto (I will disown him if he does go there)

But this purely speculative. Did I miss any glaring ones?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
IMO The teams that have the best chance to sign Ladd along with the money and motivation to do so are (in ascending order):

Anaheim
Florida
Winnipeg
Coyotes (bunch of Jets wannabes)
Flames (take my frolik and now my captain)
Vancouver (hometown, pretty much the only reason I'd go there)

Toronto (I will disown him if he does go there)

But this purely speculative. Did I miss any glaring ones?

Anaheim has a strict internal budget. They also have RFA trouble. I doubt very much they are a player on July 1.

Watch out for Nashville and Carolina.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
a) Really hard to say since we don't yet know all of the parameters, such as what the salary cap will be next season. I am a bit skeptical, given that by all accounts the Jets made a very fair offer in the summer which he turned down, versus Buff who legitimately wanted to be here and took a bit of a discount. That said, if the UFA market isn't want Ladd's agent thought it would be, he might circle around again but then I'd expect Chevy to drive a miser's bargain (i.e. not just offer up last summer's offer again). So maybe 20-30%?

b) I'd say 100% he'd be the captain again if he returned. I also agree with Mortimer that whether the Jets name a new captain before the summer impacts the % chance on question (a)

This about covers it to me. I'm fine with him coming back, in fact would readily welcome him back as I think he's a fine player still and will be for a few more years. My belief is we only saw him start to fully recover from the surgery around early February. The cap will be the trick though and I doubt his offer will be $6x6. He might get the term but not the $$ now.

One other wrinkle is Chevy's tendency to not hurry through negotiations with RFAs. Lowry will be cheap and bridged but Trouba/Scheifele could be either bridged or long term both. Given that tendency I wouldn't expect them to be signed until later in July or even August. I expect Ladd would have signed somewhere else by then as he won't be waiting for Chevy to get his ducks in a row.

Derfel*

I think the three most likely teams for Ladd to end up with after June 30th are, in no particular order:

- Winnipeg
- Vancouver
- Carolina

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Less than 3 percent chance he is back.

0 percent chance he is named captain if he is back

Just don't see it happening, he's moved on and so should we.

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
I think the chance of a return is less than zero.

Here's why:

1. I believe the rumours that the Jets worked very hard on signing him since last summer.

2. I believe the Jets wanted him to stay more than he claims to want to stay because:

2b. If in fact he did reject 6x6, then there's a huge divide that can only be overcome by overzealous free agent style bid war that Winnipeg will never partake in.

Personally I wanted him to stay, and I admit I'm probably going to be the first to admit pure shock at the sticker price he's looking for (and probably going to get) above 6x6.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I think the chance of a return is less than zero.

Here's why:

1. I believe the rumours that the Jets worked very hard on signing him since last summer.

2. I believe the Jets wanted him to stay more than he claims to want to stay because:

2b. If in fact he did reject 6x6, then there's a huge divide that can only be overcome by overzealous free agent style bid war that Winnipeg will never partake in.

Personally I wanted him to stay, and I admit I'm probably going to be the first to admit pure shock at the sticker price he's looking for (and probably going to get) above 6x6.

I'm not sure if 6x6 will be available on the open market in July. The UFA class for left wingers right now looks to be Lucic, Ladd, and Boedker. Value might be in that order too I think, though Lucic and Ladd are close. His value is going to be highly correlated with Chicago's playoff run. Assuming the Hawks run deep and he plays well, maybe he will get close to 6x6. But either a short Hawks run or marginal performance will see his price tank.

With the cap staying flat, I think it'll be challenging to get more than a 5 year contract.

If a team is going to make a UFA splash for a forward, they'd spend on Stamkos. If a team needs a leader, I'm guessing Backes might be a first choice over Ladd, assuming the Blues don't re-sign him. Ladd will have value, but there are several forwards in his price range potentially on the market.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Isn't the cap going down? Zero Canadian teams in the playoffs probably isn't going to help either...

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think there is always some team out there willing to over pay guys on the free agent frenzy and i think that will happen with LADD. Some team will give him what he wants and it won't be the JETS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad