Chance at McDavid or Playoffs?

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
I voted playoffs. Leafs have always been able to score, but now with a bolstered 3rd and 4th lines to ease the pressure off the top two lines, they'll be so much better. Add some veteran D presence like Robidas and Polak and things are looking up! As long as Bernier stays healthy I can see this team in the playoffs! :handclap::handclap:

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Never would I want the Leafs to tank for whoever. If you aren't trying to win and trying to make the playoffs, might as well not even play.

I've been a fan for all my 41+ years, and never ever cheered for them to tank. It's worse to cheer for a bunch of quitters (ie. tanking).

Those hoping the team to finish are the same people who buy tickets so than throw waffles, or run on the ice and be a 30 sec superstar on youtube.

What do you say if in 3 or 4 years of having McDavid (or whoever), he has no supporting cast (remember Sundin?), and they finish near the bottom or "on the bubble in 9th". Tank some more? and then more?

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
The poster I was responding to...
I can't tell if you're trolling or not sometimes.

I didn't say anything about "doing damage in the playoffs"...

I said it's pathetic to prefer losing to winning.

And it is. It's clear the Leafs have a losing culture when the "fans" would rather see the team be losers then go out there and be better every season.

In any case, the team is too good to finish in last place. They will be a 85-100 point team again.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Never would I want the Leafs to tank for whoever. If you aren't trying to win and trying to make the playoffs, might as well not even play.

I've been a fan for all my 41+ years, and never ever cheered for them to tank. It's worse to cheer for a bunch of quitters (ie. tanking).

Those hoping the team to finish are the same people who buy tickets so than throw waffles, or run on the ice and be a 30 sec superstar on youtube.

What do you say if in 3 or 4 years of having McDavid (or whoever), he has no supporting cast (remember Sundin?), and they finish near the bottom or "on the bubble in 9th". Tank some more? and then more?

THIS. :handclap:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I've got about 10 years on you. 10 years ago I would have said the same but for the first time, I like the idea of tanking. Not saying you're wrong (and obviously there's no black&white here) but give it another 10 years, perhaps when a generational talent comes along and we're as close to rock bottom as we are now you'll feel the same way I do.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Can't imagine sitting down to watch a game and cheering for my team to lose.

Well why should you? Once the puck is dropped you hope for a win. But you accept that management would make moves to ice an even weaker team then they could and accept the many defeats that would follow knowing things will turn to the better in the future.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Fair enough, but I think the question of "do you want them to tank for McDavid?" or "what do you think would be better for the team going forward, playoffs or McDavid?" are two separate questions.

For example, I can look at the roster and think that we need a top end guy like McDavid if we ever hope to go anywhere near a cup and therefore pick the McDavid option, while at the same time being of the opinion that cheering for the Leafs to lose is not something I want to do.

I don't want the Leafs to be bad. However, if the team can't get it done, draft picks are a positive.

Either way, both options are good options. Ending up in the "bubble" area in the middle, however, is the danger.

Rielly4Captain

Apr 9, 2012
We can't just look at this team's make-up though, gotta look at other teams.

are there 7 other teams that much better than us in the east?

is CBJ, DET, Philly anything special compared to our roster? I didnt see them add anyone significant and all three have the same or even more problems than us.

Only tampa improved clearly as they added to their defence, Pitty and MTL are nothing special defensively but they are slightly better off offensively.

I just dont see the competition in the east being that high, only BOS, NYR and maybe PIT are a clear step above us, and the latter two arent by much.

PITTSBURGH? Not better by much?... Ok i realise the Leafs do well against the Pens compared to other teams... but in no way are they even close to the Pens in terms of hoping to finish higher in the standings. Pens and Boston are leagues ahead in my opinion.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I used to be all about winning, but Nonis has converted me to Tank Nation. I'm just completely convinced now that winning a Stanley Cup with big dumb fatty on board is impossible.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Too much depth on this team to finish with a top two pick. We have a decent shot at the playoffs but we're a few pieces away from solidifying a spot.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
They feel this Team will do damage in the Playoffs? I must have missed that post, carry on.

Original poster said it's pathetic to try to loose games.
As opposed to trying to win and losing them anyways. Because that's worked out really well for us the last 10 years.

If we're not going to do any damage... why would we try to win games? So we can pick more Gauthiers?

You didn't miss his post, but you sure missed the point.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Playoffs... Once your in, anything can happen.

That's one way to look at it.
Or you can look at our team structure and say, "hey, we're still missing a couple of essential pieces. maybe we shouldn't be dealing away our picks for rentals"

I can pay a few bucks to play the lottery, I wouldn't expect to win.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Original poster said it's pathetic to try to loose games.
As opposed to trying to win and losing them anyways. Because that's worked out really well for us the last 10 years.

If we're not going to do any damage... why would we try to win games? So we can pick more Gauthiers?

You didn't miss his post, but you sure missed the point.

It's not "why would we..." it's "why would they...."

They do because they exist in the real world where winning is what they are paid to do. Wishes and Fantasy have no basis here.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
I didn't say anything about "doing damage in the playoffs"...

I said it's pathetic to prefer losing to winning.

And it is. It's clear the Leafs have a losing culture when the "fans" would rather see the team be losers then go out there and be better every season.

In any case, the team is too good to finish in last place. They will be a 85-100 point team again.

That's your opinion and I can respect that.

I don't prefer losing. I prefer winning, but our team doesn't have the capabilities to win with our current roster. I feel with a top 5 pick next year, we will be strides closer to having these capabilities.

The team is pretty much the exact same as last year. Asides from having a talent in Nylander, we recycled replaceable players - that's it. It's still early but essentially at this date, our team is the same.

The only reason I would try to win is if I think we can do damage in the playoffs. If you have our team at 100 points on the high end, you believe as much.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Playoffs-- easily.

Sick of not watching Toronto in the playoffs, it's ****ing pathetic.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
It's not "why would we..." it's "why would they...."

They do because they exist in the real world where winning is what they are paid to do. Wishes and Fantasy have no basis here.

Thanks for demonstrating what I was saying about missing the point. :handclap:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It's much more than a chance at McDavid/Eichel. It's a chance at McDavid/Eichel, plus getting Nonis fired, plus getting Carlyle fired, plus getting Clarkson off the team. That's a whole lot of additions by subtractions in my opinion.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
It's much more than a chance at McDavid/Eichel. It's a chance at McDavid/Eichel, plus getting Nonis fired, plus getting Carlyle fired, plus getting Clarkson off the team. That's a whole lot of additions by subtractions in my opinion.

I think people miss this.
It's essentially ridding ourselves from a lot of deadweight and a coming out with a cornerstone to build around.

Not just a missed playoff chance. We've missed the playoffs 8x in the last 9 seasons. What's another year when we can get something great out of it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad