Chance at McDavid or Playoffs?

TheThrill81*

It's a win-win in my eyes. Make the playoffs, or drafting a potential franchise center. Both are positive outcomes.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
would you rather get into the playoffs and get your ass kicked, or get someone better than tavaras

basically. i'd be happy if they let the kids play, make mistakes, drop down and get mcdavid then get better in a few years.

i would have let the 6 compete for spots.

ashton, holland, leivo

granberg, percy, holzer

is what i would have done.

hockeyfanz*

The Leafs would have to trade Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR and Bernier to even sniff a chance at McDavid, so this is topic is pretty much useless.

WRONG....The Leafs are only a season ending Bernier injury away from being a serious McDavid contender. It can happen. But the Leafs don't have that kind of luck.

The MO for this franchise is a probably a 9th-11th place finish...with a 7th or 8th overall pick.

Kessel will get his 38 goals and it will mean nothing like it has since he arrived.

Phaneuf will do his usual 25 minutes a game...perform mediocre...have another shmuck as a partner who will get blamed for Phaneuf's shortcomings.

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
We have no chance at McDavid or Eichel. We might not make the playoffs either, but we won't be picking top 5

We tried to make the playoffs and finished 8th last. Imagine if we actively not-try to win. The potential is endless. Management just has to commit. And the fans can hope.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I can't believe people would rather lose.

It's pathetic.

Pathetic? If I dont believe Phaneuf and Kessel along with the rest of the core can be the go to guys on a cup winning team should I then just :handclap: their effort and be happy with it? Or should I hope they keep proving me right about not being good enough so that we can draft some high end players who hopefully can allow us to take the next step. Who is pathetic really?

I have really high hopes for Nylander and Rielly once they develop in to core guys. If the current core can keep sucking so we can get more of that high calibre young guys I will not complain. The worst thing that can happen imo is if this team gets out played and out shoot but are lucky enough to make the postseason again and thus reinforce Nonis commitment to the core and start trading away picks and prospects at an even higher rate to try and win with it.

Nah, let em collapse again and hopefully it will lead to changes in management and more high draft picks.

hockeyfanz*

I can't believe people would rather lose.

It's pathetic.

Nobody would "rather lose". That is simply idiotic. Sometimes people in their lives take a few steps back for the good of their future.

If you have a full time job but just get by and meet your expenses and live paycheque to paycheque.....and get fed up...decide to take out student loans and personal loans, move back into your parents house and go into debt so that you can study to become an Engineer or Doctor so that you can have a better future...you are sacrificing your independence and your financial situation so that down the road you have the chance of possibly not living near the poverty line.

Is that difficult to understand? People do it all the time. Its called taking a chance to improve your future, instead of just plodding along unhappily for your entire existence.

TheThrill81*

Phaneuf will do his usual 25 minutes a game...perform mediocre...have another shmuck as a partner who will get blamed for Phaneuf's shortcomings.

Or the reality is that partner will be mediocre, and Phaneuf will get blamed for his shortcomings.

hockeyfanz*

Or the reality is that partner will be mediocre, and Phaneuf will get blamed for his shortcomings.

You mean how Sid Crosby makes guys like Kunitz or Pascal Dupuis mediocre? Or how Mats made guys like Jonas Hoglund or Alexei Ponikorvski mediocre?

Yeah. You're right.

TheThrill81*

You mean how Sid Crosby makes guys like Kunitz or Pascal Dupuis mediocre? Or how Mats made guys like Jonas Hoglund or Alexei Ponikorvski mediocre?

Yeah. You're right.

Comparing franchise centers to a #1 d-man? Let's ignore Carlyle's terrible system while we're at it. Yeah, you're right. :rolleyes:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Could go either way.

I actually like our line-up better then last years, but at the same time I have little faith in Carlyle reinventing the wheel. Fully expect the swarm to make a return and us getting outshot most games.

We'd have to win the lottery though cause we're not a last place team.

hockeyfanz*

Comparing franchise centers to a #1 d-man? Let's ignore Carlyle's terrible system while we're at it. Yeah, you're right. :rolleyes:

How many excuses you gonna lay down for this guy?

Its his partners

Its the coach

Its the system

Its the forwards not back checking.

Its NEVER the player. NEVER. He is just an undisputable #1 Defender who is a victim of his surroundings and circumstances. How ridiculous. Unbelievably naiive.

I actually hope the Leafs keep this train wreck in tact. Its the best shot at landing a decent player in a deep draft.

Play Dion 30+ minutes next year!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Nobody would "rather lose". That is simply idiotic. Sometimes people in their lives take a few steps back for the good of their future.

If you have a full time job but just get by and meet your expenses and live paycheque to paycheque.....and get fed up...decide to take out student loans and personal loans, move back into your parents house and go into debt so that you can study to become an Engineer or Doctor so that you can have a better future...you are sacrificing your independence and your financial situation so that down the road you have the chance of possibly not living near the poverty line.

Is that difficult to understand? People do it all the time. Its called taking a chance to improve your future, instead of just plodding along unhappily for your entire existence.

Actually a good comparison. :nod:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Either sounds really nice, actually, because it would either mean a) Guys like Rielly, Gardiner, and Kadri stepped it up in a big way, Bernier is the real deal, and the Leafs have figured out the whole collapsing issue, or b) we're getting a damn good prospect. Where we don't want to be is somewhere in the middle.

Really tough to predict the Leafs right now. Playoffs seems more likely than McDavid, but a top 10 pick seems more likely than playoffs.

If I had to pick I guess I'd go for McDavid/Eichel this year, and hope to pull a Colorado next year....but that would probably involve significant man-games lost, winning a lottery, a stagnant year from the kids development-wise, or a combination there within. So it's not all good.

One of the reasons I was pushing the patient approach and liking the low risk, high reward signings made by Nonis is that it gives us the flexibility to adapt the team based on how the season goes. The Leafs are the definition of unpredictable right now.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The poster I was responding to...
I can't tell if you're trolling or not sometimes.

They feel this Team will do damage in the Playoffs? I must have missed that post, carry on.

nussell

Nov 29, 2013
Ontario
this poll is stupid, you think we have a shot at mcdavid lol. buffalo, calgary are my bets for mcdavid. mark it down we are going to finish 4th in the east. we are a much better team now and the only way we don't make the playoffs is carlyle coaching method

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
this poll is stupid, you think we have a shot at mcdavid lol. buffalo, calgary are my bets for mcdavid. mark it down we are going to finish 4th in the east. we are a much better team now and the only way we don't make the playoffs is carlyle coaching method

I don't know about 4th but they are certainly closer to being in the Playoffs than the are to being last.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Can't imagine sitting down to watch a game and cheering for my team to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad