Post-Game Talk: Champs vs Ex Champs 7pm (Caps v Penguins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
This is epitome of why discussions over the internet can become annoying. I still don't like your response but this has gone on long enough. If we were face fo face, this conversation would have taken less than 30 seconds and we would have walked away with a mutual understanding. Haha

How appropriate on the 30th birthday of the internet!
Google Doodle celebrates 30th birthday of the World Wide Web

images

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Speak for yourself.

This is the exact type of game that — in sports — you see high level teams play well.

I’m not saying AT ALL that it’s a “must win” or “do or die” — it sure as hell isnt. But it certainly looks like a mental gut check type game. Caps are in a position to stamp out the Pens Metro division title hopes. I’m sure they know this.

So— current sports teams like the Warriors, or the Patriots, or the Red Sox would show up and play really well. They may lose — but it would take a terrific effort from their opponent to beat them.

So that’s what’s I am talking about.

I understand if you see it differently.

This is a game the Penguins need and its a home game for them. The Caps are trying to extend a winning streak to a season high and they are on the road. I expect a typical rival battle. The trends are working against the Caps here. I wont be joining the meltdown if they lose.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is a game the Penguins need and its a home game for them. The Caps are trying to extend a winning streak to a season high and they are on the road. I expect a typical rival battle. The trends are working against the Caps here. I wont be joining the meltdown if they lose.

I’m not sure any of my posts pointed towards a meltdown if a loss?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m not sure any of my posts pointed towards a meltdown if a loss?

Did I say you did? Do we know that there is a meltdown after almost every loss? Did you read where regardless of the 7 game winning streak that there are those here not liking how they are playing? You seriously think that the Caps can lose without the typical post game meltdown? Really?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Standings-wise this is huge for PIT:
  • a reg. loss plus CBJ + MTL wins = PIT @ 83, CBJ + MTL both @ 81, WSH @ 91 = PIT has no chance of 1st in Metro
  • if PIT gets 2 pts and either MTL or CBJ lose in reg they've got 85 to 79 and a lot of breathing room with good chance for 2nd or decent chance for 1st in Metro

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Standings-wise this is huge for PIT:
  • a reg. loss plus CBJ + MTL wins = PIT @ 83, CBJ + MTL both @ 81, WSH @ 91 = PIT has no chance of 1st in Metro
  • if PIT gets 2 pts and either MTL or CBJ lose in reg they've got 85 to 79 and a lot of breathing room with good chance for 2nd or decent chance for 1st in Metro

Well also a Pens 2 pts puts them in 3rd, which could mean a Pitt Isles first round, which could be fun to watch.

Right now the 4-8 teams in the East are so close and jumbled, any combination can happen and it may all come down to the final RS games for each of them to sort out seeding.

Gonna be a fun month to standings watch.

Reactions: zappa4ever

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Yup the best time of year is right now, everything is ramping up and the playoff picture starts to reveal itself more and more

NYI and CBJ are trending down
PIT/CAR/PHI all trending up
who knows how it's gonna finish up
Right now I'd predict
1) WSH
2) CAR
3) PIT
WC1) NYI
WC2) CBJ (hope PHI can get in though)
Out) MTL + PHI

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I love the match-up. We have taken the speed advantage from them while still remaining the far more physical team aswell. Cherry on the cake is that Letang is not playing tonight which means they will have a plug on each defense pairing.

I think Hagelin is eager for a win here. I believe it's his first game back in Pittspurgh after those Cups. He should be licking his chops at the thought of being matched up against either Jack Johnson or Erik Gudbranson, while showing them exactly what they are missing out on.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If I'm Pitt, I would be gunning for a #2/#3 first round showdown against the Isles. Probably most realistic ideal matchup for them.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I love the match-up. We have taken the speed advantage from them while still remaining the far more physical team aswell. Cherry on the cake is that Letang is not playing tonight which means they will have a plug on each defense pairing.

I think Hagelin is eager for a win here. I believe it's his first game back in Pittspurgh after those Cups. He should be licking his chops at the thought of being matched up against either Jack Johnson or Erik Gudbranson, while showing them exactly what they are missing out on.
Not buying it. We have our own slow defensemen in Orpik and Niskanen. Carlson is also far from fastest skaters. As for people up front, there's not whole lot of changes for Pens comparing to past years except they are younger and, with acquisition of Bjugstad, bigger.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not buying it. We have our own slow defensemen in Orpik and Niskanen. Carlson is also far from fastest skaters. As for people up front, there's not whole lot of changes for Pens comparing to past years except they are younger and, with acquisition of Bjugstad, bigger.

I think from 1-18 we are the faster team now. And also still the more physical team. None of this matters in a single game but over a 7 game series, I like our team.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Niskanen even at his current speed is still faster than guys like Dumoulin and Trotman. He's not fast but hardly slow, either. Carlson is a great skater.

Sheary, Hagelin, Bonino all gone. They are considerably slower than they were when they won the Cup last time.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think from 1-18 we are the faster team now. And also still the more physical team. None of this matters in a single game but over a 7 game series, I like our team.
I don't think so. We absolutely can beat them in a 7 game series which was proven already but to say Caps are for sure a faster team...yeah no. We can match their speed but there's no advantage there. They are still an elite team that has won its cups with the speed as their trademark.
Niskanen even at his current speed is still faster than guys like Dumoulin and Trotman. He's not fast but hardly slow, either. Carlson is a great skater.

Sheary, Hagelin, Bonino all gone. They are considerably slower than they were when they won the Cup last time.
Sorry but no.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't think so. We absolutely can beat them in a 7 game series which was proven already but to say Caps are for sure a faster team...yeah no. We can match their speed but there's no advantage there. They are still an elite team that has won its cups with the speed as their trademark.

Sorry but no.

Well, the Caps have gotten faster and the Pens have gotten slower since we last played in the RS, let alone in the playoffs. We added Jensen and Hags while they added Jack Johnson and Guds, among other slower adds overall. Just the mere fact that Hags has switched sides is a huge swing in speed. So politely disagree.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Well, the Caps have gotten faster and the Pens have gotten slower since we last played in the RS, let alone in the playoffs. We added Jensen and Hags while they added Jack Johnson and Guds, among other slower adds overall. Just the mere fact that Hags has switched sides is a huge swing in speed. So politely disagree.
I think they somewhat compensated Hagelins departure by adding Mccann. He is a very good skater. IIRC in juniors he was used to shut Mcdavid down in a playoff series and he did pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad