Post-Game Talk: Champs vs Ex Champs 7pm (Caps v Penguins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Rutherford is probably going to go all Ricardo Montalban programming Reggie Jackson in Airplane, brain-washing Gudbranson to take out Wilson: "I must kill Tom Wilson".

Tsk tsk tsk.....that's Naked Gun. That said, there's a 50/50 chance of winning, though there's only a 10% chance at that.

AuqJOPJX4AoS4p7ZEGbEdKW5LXOzm-KkHfDLRJlsvuQ.jpg

Jack Hammer

Mar 2, 2019
I was at the Caps game in DC in November, where we had our only victory against Pittsburgh this year and the Caps were dominated the entire game. The pens have frankly been the better team in all 3 games this year. I think this Caps team is the best it's been all season and tonight should be even.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Tsk tsk tsk.....that's Naked Gun. That said, there's a 50/50 chance of winning, though there's only a 10% chance at that.

Erik Gubrandson: Protecting the Queen’s safety is a task that is gladly accepted by the Gub Squad. No matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us, as Shitsburgians, we must be gracious and considerate hosts.’

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I was at the Caps game in DC in November, where we had our only victory against Pittsburgh this year and the Caps were dominated the entire game. The pens have frankly been the better team in all 3 games this year. I think this Caps team is the best it's been all season and tonight should be even.

Apart from the points they collected, nothing from November or December means diddley pooh today. And most likely, apart from the points, nothing from today means diddley pooh in the playoffs.

2 points, don't care how.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Rutherford is probably going to go all Ricardo Montalban programming Reggie Jackson in Naked Gun, brain-washing Gudbranson to take out Wilson: "I must kill Tom Wilson".

Caps would love nothing more than Gudbranson on the ice with the Ovechkin line.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Seems to me the Pens have been playing more sound fundamental hockey since Letang went down and Gudbranson joined them. It seems from watching them that they're a bit tighter as a team defensively and are using their offensive talent more strategically. The Pens problem, from what I saw, was poor discipline and structure and playing too open a brand of hockey, and Murray wasn't bailing them out. They actually mirror the Caps in a lot of regards. I obviously don't watch every Pens game but those have been my observations.

It's almost like two of the best teams in the league and the two prior champions coasted through the regular season and are now getting back to the fundamentals that make them great as the regular season comes to a close.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Jack Hammer

Mar 2, 2019
Apart from the points they collected, nothing from November or December means diddley pooh today. And most likely, apart from the points, nothing from today means diddley pooh in the playoffs.

2 points, don't care how.

Making an assessment of previous matches this season is a reasonable observation to make in determining the mindset and goals of the Caps tonight. Do the players and coaches not watch film from previous matchups, or do they say, games earlier this season don't mean "diddly pooh"? They should feel the need to improve over their last 3 poor efforts. I already added the disclaimer of this team being better than it was earlier this year. You telling me it doesn't mean "diddly pooh" seems a lazy response to the point. Of course these games aren't critical and I'm not trying to make it sound that way. Just making small talk before the game.

Reactions: RandyHolt

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Making an assessment of previous matches this season is a reasonable observation to make in determining the mindset and goals of the Caps tonight. Do the players and coaches not watch film from previous matchups, or do they say, games earlier this season don't mean "diddly pooh"? They should feel the need to improve over their last 3 poor efforts. I already added the disclaimer of this team being better than it was earlier this year. You telling me it doesn't mean "diddly pooh" seems a lazy response to the point. Of course these games aren't critical and I'm not trying to make it sound that way. Just making small talk before the game.
Of course video from previous games will be reviewed, but both teams are quite different now, plus 2 of those games were in the first 15 of the season, not too far from "diddly pooh" I think
I'd hope they're doing video from the last few games since McCann, Bjugstad and Gudbrandson all joined (and Trotman/Blueger callups) since that's what the Pens are playing like now

Jack Hammer

Mar 2, 2019
Of course video from previous games will be reviewed, but both teams are quite different now, plus 2 of those games were in the first 15 of the season, not too far from "diddly pooh" I think
I'd hope they're doing video from the last few games since McCann, Bjugstad and Gudbrandson all joined (and Trotman/Blueger callups) since that's what the Pens are playing like now

You're response is almost the exact same as the one I just defended myself against.. I've already made it clear that my assessment is a casual one and there is no need to to try and tell me that these game mean little, in the way of the playoffs, etc. That much is obvious. No need to point it out. I was making a simple point that the Caps should feel the need to improve over the last 3 meetings and you should hopefully notice it tonight. I'll drop it. We're getting into semantics..

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
On further reflection — this game may tell us a lot.

A regulation win for the Caps will more or less bury the Pens chances at the Metro. So it’s a huge game for them. Caps of old lose this game. Probably come out flat.

Caps of new? We will see

This game may not tell us anything. They have won 7 in a row. They are due to lose a game. Hopefully they wont, but they have the Flyers(?) and then Tampa Bay after. That means TB would be a ten game winning streak. That aint gonna happen. They are going to lose a game here.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
You're response is almost the exact same as the one I just defended myself against.. I've already made it clear that my assessment is a casual one and there is no need to to try and tell me that these game mean little, in the way of the playoffs, etc. That much is obvious. No need to point it out. I was making a simple point that the Caps should feel the need to improve over the last 3 meetings and you should hopefully notice it tonight. I'll drop it. We're getting into semantics..
Well you made no reference to the several lineup changes on both teams, including more than 25% of the Pens roster being different from last time playing each other. Obviously the Caps want to have a better game 70 than earlier games in the season. I'll leave it at that

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This game may not tell us anything. They have won 7 in a row. They are due to lose a game. Hopefully they wont, but they have the Flyers(?) and then Tampa Bay after. That means TB would be a ten game winning streak. That aint gonna happen. They are going to lose a game here.

Speak for yourself.

This is the exact type of game that — in sports — you see high level teams play well.

I’m not saying AT ALL that it’s a “must win” or “do or die” — it sure as hell isnt. But it certainly looks like a mental gut check type game. Caps are in a position to stamp out the Pens Metro division title hopes. I’m sure they know this.

So— current sports teams like the Warriors, or the Patriots, or the Red Sox would show up and play really well. They may lose — but it would take a terrific effort from their opponent to beat them.

So that’s what’s I am talking about.

I understand if you see it differently.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I certainly wasn't trying to attack your observation so no need to defend it. My main reason for posting what I did is that fan bases tend to make way too much of early season games and of regular season games when there is little correlation there. If we get blown out tonight, some folks on here (not saying you specifically) will go to their fainting couches and call for TR to be fired, Orlov to be executed, and Oshie to be traded.

My point is that this game means little in terms of determining our playoff fate, just like games in November meant little in determining if we "would make" the playoffs at all. Everything changes in the playoffs, most importantly our overall effort level and how much our physical presence matters over a long series, two things that have generally been completely missing throughout this whole regular season.

That said, I've love to see the Caps curb stomp the Pens tonight but if the opposite happens, I'm not losing a minutes sleep over it.

Jack Hammer

Mar 2, 2019
Well you made no reference to the several lineup changes on both teams, including more than 25% of the Pens roster being different from last time playing each other. Obviously the Caps want to have a better game 70 than earlier games in the season. I'll leave it at that

This is epitome of why discussions over the internet can become annoying. I still don't like your response but this has gone on long enough. If we were face fo face, this conversation would have taken less than 30 seconds and we would have walked away with a mutual understanding. Haha

Reactions: zappa4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad