Euro: Champions League Semifinals

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I remember when people were skeptical of the Wijnaldum buy at the time it happened. Klopp really knows how to pick his players.
Not this guy. I have a post on my facebook asking for them to sign him from 2011; I believe I called him the 'future of Dutch football'. :laugh:

Of course it's not really a secret I'm his biggest fan around here.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think there’s only one person here who blamed Messi and that person probably didn’t watch the game. He had a good first half and then the entire team was neutralized and shocked in the second half.

You don't think it's the job of the captain to do something about that? As skilled he might be as a player he's absolute joke as a captain and absolutely carries responsibility when these meltdowns happen (which is quite a pattern already).

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I remember when people were skeptical of the Wijnaldum buy at the time it happened. Klopp really knows how to pick his players.
Not only Gini

Wijnaldum - Newcastle
Robertson - hull city
Henderson - subderland
Mane - Southampton
Firmino - hoffenheim

This is the difference right now. Klopp is able to develop good players into great players. Not only buy developed players from the top clubs in the world.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Not only Gini

Wijnaldum - Newcastle
Robertson - hull city
Henderson - subderland
Mane - Southampton
Firmino - hoffenheim

This is the difference right now. Klopp is able to develop good players into great players. Not only buy developed players from the top clubs in the world.
Even big buys like Van Dijk he makes better. Has to be the best man manager in the world or close to it.

Reactions: koyvoo

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Funny that Wijnaldum and Sissoko have been two of the most important players in the 3 semis played so far. That Newcastle team was loaded :D

Reactions: Evilo and koyvoo

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You don't think it's the job of the captain to do something about that? As skilled he might be as a player he's absolute joke as a captain and absolutely carries responsibility when these meltdowns happen (which is quite a pattern already).
Actually, you weren’t the person I was referring to when I said only one person blamed Messi, but I guess it’s two then.

It’s not basketball. One player can’t win every game on his own.

If not for a couple 2-3 big Allison saves in the first half, right now we’d be talking about how Messi won the entire semifinal on his own.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Actually, you weren’t the person I was referring to when I said only one person blamed Messi, but I guess it’s two then.

It’s not basketball. One player can’t win every game on his own.

If not for a couple 2-3 big Allison saves in the first half, right now we’d be talking about how Messi won the entire semifinal on his own.

No, but if you have an armband you're at least expected to lead your team. Regardless of whether you score yourself.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not only Gini

Wijnaldum - Newcastle
Robertson - hull city
Henderson - subderland
Mane - Southampton
Firmino - hoffenheim

Henderson had already developed into a top player under Rodgers, but injuries and club issues kind of made for a few rough seasons for him. You can plainly see his quality as an 8. He also deserves a lot of credit for how he's battled back and never given up his place. He could have left multiple times at Liverpool but each time he's chosen to fight for his spot and grow as a player. He loves this club and gives 100% every single time and the hate he got, or gets, or disrespect, or whatever is completely unwarranted. Proud to call him captain.

That said yes, Klopp's ability to develop players who are extremely talented is really great. Mane, Firmino and Wijnaldum especially were known to be very talented from a young age, but Klopp has really groomed them. I grew excited after watching Robertson but didn't really expect he'd be as good as he's become. All of this a testament to Klopp's man management and ability to get the most of his players.

Reactions: koyvoo

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not only Gini

Wijnaldum - Newcastle
Robertson - hull city
Henderson - subderland
Mane - Southampton
Firmino - hoffenheim

How are we giving him credit for Henderson?

And firmino was established as a great player when he was bought.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
No, but if you have an armband you're at least expected to lead your team. Regardless of whether you score yourself.
You have to give credit to Liverpool here.

The more I look back on the two legs, the more apparent it seems that the really was Messi vs an entire squad. Liverpool played well at Nou and only misfortune and his brilliance saw them down 0-3. Conversely, it was his misfortune thst didn’t see him put the tie to bed in the first half yesterday, but he created the chances to do it.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
How are we giving him credit for Henderson?

And firmino was established as a great player when he was bought.
Not as good as they became. Firmino established himself as a Brazil regular afterward and likewise with Henderson gaining England captaincy.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not only Gini

Wijnaldum - Newcastle
Robertson - hull city
Henderson - subderland
Mane - Southampton
Firmino - hoffenheim

Wow! Look at all those academy players!

Reactions: Evilo

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not as good as they became. Firmino established himself as a Brazil regular afterward and likewise with Henderson gaining England captaincy.
I remember hearing a ton about Firmino when he was at Hoffenheim. That was when he and Volland were bossing the league if I recall correctly. @cgf could speak more to that.

Hendo getting the captaincy has more to do with other options retiring/getting too old and Hendo getting healthy than anything else. Hendo was just as good pre-Klopp

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You have to give credit to Liverpool here.

The more I look back on the two legs, the more apparent it seems that the really was Messi vs an entire squad. Liverpool played well at Nou and only misfortune and his brilliance saw them down 0-3. Conversely, it was his misfortune thst didn’t see him put the tie to bed in the first half yesterday, but he created the chances to do it.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not scoring every game, but a captain should be actively keeping his team together if they're losing it. Messi is just awkwardly staring at his shoes somewhere as if the matter wouldn't concern him at all. Not everyone can be a leader, but they shouldn't be given the responsibility if they're not.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Funny thing about this game is, supporting the German National Team, rule #1 is you don't like the orange ones.

Because of this season, and this game, I'll never see the Dutch the same way again. It's gonna be different forever.

I'll just have to resort to not liking Italy :dunno:

That only goes for people who are Dutch and German. Not for outsiders who support the national football team. It's pure hatred you are born and raised with and football is only a small part of it.

It's more of a thing of the past, though. The Germans and Dutch actually get along very well now; in life in general but also on the pitch. There will always be a little rivalry on the football pitch based on the history between them, but I doubt it will ever be as tense again as it was between the 70's and '00's. It feels as if intense rivalries are becoming more extinct these days. Probably because the EU countries generally get on well. Maybe the Brexit can stir shit up a bit..:sarcasm:

Reactions: Machinehead

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Giants among men. The CL facebook has a good caption: Liverpool needed a hero...

59630693_2658183337561445_2681521565211820032_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad