Euro: Champions League Semifinals

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was one of the greatest sporting events I’ve seen. I’m not even a Liverpool fan, but that was legendary. No one beats Messi’s Barcelona 4-0.

Reactions: YNWA14

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
That was one of the greatest sporting events I’ve seen. I’m not even a Liverpool fan, but that was legendary. No one beats Messi’s Barcelona 4-0.

It's becoming a bit of a pattern with Klopp teams down late in the second leg of a European tie: Malaga (2013), Dortmund (2016), and now this. He definitely knows how to inspire a huge comeback.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Took out my laptop because what I'm going to write is too long for doing it over phone. I need to rant a bit, though I must say I'm a bit anesthetized after what my Bolts did to me, what a brutal year overall sports-wise for me.

To start off I want to give some credit to Liverpool. They never gave up and I think putting aside bias they were overall the better side in the two legs, so it's not like the overall result is a travesty or anything like at. What it is a ****ing joke is how it got to that point.
You win 3-0 in a game that was very even but you got that killer instinct.
Then you go to play away without their best player injured, and some other key members of the team off. The play it is quite even and you have very good chances to score, you go to half-time 1-0 down but still you should easily get away with the tie.

And then the 2nd half happens. I have no words to describe this 2nd half, probably some of the most dull 45 minutes of football I've ever seen this team play, no willing to play, no willing to win, just zombies on a pitch. Did they believe it was already won? I don't get it.

My opinion on FCB players tonight:
Ter-Stegen - I thought that, honestly, he was left out to dry. He could have saved the 2nd but he also had some very good saves, in my opinion one of the very few players that escapes the ****ing blame.
Pique - I don't know where to start, overall brutal game and you expect much better from an elite defender like him.
Lenglet - In a day like today is where you can notice the difference between an elite version of Umtiti and Lenglet, he can't make up for the rest of D playing ****.
Jordi Alba - That 2nd half is the worst I've ever seen him play. If I were him I would go to sleep ashamed.
Sergi Roberto - Passenger on the field, one of many.
Semedo - Came on the 2nd half after the 3rd goal but he's just not good enough offensively, I guess he kind of tried.
Busquets - Don't even want to talk about him, he's been way below average this season, Frenkie is going to put him into the bench.
Vidal - I don't like the guy but he gave it all today, he cared more than almost anybody on the team.
Rakitic - Read Sergi Roberto
Arthur - He came too late
Coutinho - Just sell the guy, what a dissapointment
Suarez - He was fighting all 1st half and then in the 2nd... don't even remember him touching the ball in the 2nd.
Messi - He's not the reason why we lost (not even close), but you have to bury one of the chances he had in the 1st half... game over if he scores just one of them.

And my special.
Valverde - I will define today's game with... "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." He needs to be fired with immediate effect. Two EPIC chokes in consecutive years is unacceptable... and this was a super chance to win the CL (no disrespect to Ajax or Spurs).

And I cannot go without having a special mention on Liverpool's 4th goal.
We're going to be a ****ing laughing stock for months/years because of that goal. Worst effort you will ever see with what was on stake. I'm embarrassed to be a fan of a team that got scored on that goal.

Some good stuff here and I think we agree on a lot of it.

I don't think Liverpool were the better side over the course of the two legs, I'd say it was pretty even, and I think we gave it to them all things considered. That said let me be 100% clear, Liverpool deserved to go through.

• Ter Stegen: Yeah, I don't blame him really.
  • Pique: Not his best night, but I think you're being harsh. First goal he got a touch on the ball, not much more he could do without potentially fouling Henderson on top of his having to come over and cover. On the second goal maybe he could have reacted a bit more to the shot. Third goal I'm less forgiving about, he should have got his head to it. Fourth goal he seemed to be the only player to react and I wouldn't put that goal on him. He also saved a potential goal from Mane at one point.
  • Lenglet: Not sure where he was on that fourth goal. That said not sure if Umtiti would have done anything as it was an odd goal.
  • Alba: I agree, poor second half. I wouldn't blame him for that second goal though. Sure he coughed it up, but it wasn't a mistake really and the cross took a deflection.
  • Sergi: Not sure I'd say passenger. He tried to get involved. I wouldn't have started him, but I don't blame him.
  • Semedo: He definitely came on and provided a presence on both sides of the ball. The problem as you noted is he doesn't offer enough going forward.
  • Busquets: I just can't understand it. No reason for him to be having the season he is.
  • Vidal: Agree again. Not a fan, but he's kind of forcing the issue with the way he's been playing. Not a long term solution though.
  • Rakitic: Definitely a passenger. He's not had a bad season, but I don't think they can wait to replace him. Midfield for me needs another signing.
  • Arthur: Much needed spark and I'm not sure why he didn't play more in these two legs.
  • Coutinho: Yep. Take a hit, whatever, just get rid of him. Not as bad as what people who don't watch the team think, but not near the price tag. Worse part is the seeming approach from the player himself.
  • Suarez: I thought he could have done better with that chance early in the second half, but hard to blame him. Not a lot of service in this match was part of the reason we were in the position to go through in the first place.
  • Messi: I'd have to see the chances again, but not a lot that I would he should have buried. Problem is there aren't enough players in front of him to get the ball too and not the right midfielders to help carry the creative load.

No, he's my special:
  • Valverde: Yep. Chances were there this season and last and he f***ed it up. He's ultimately responsible for the players, their approach and their fitness. They own some of it, but the buck stops with him. His selection is wrong way too often and he doesn't know how to get the best out of plenty of players when it's obvious they should be playing in a different position. Sack him immediately and go and get Ten Hag in.

Plenty of changes to make in the offseason. Midfield needs another signing, but the attack needs to be revamped. Dembele not being fit for this seems to be part of something symptomatic with him and as good as I know he is we can't rely on someone who is injured that often. I'll cut him some slack since he doesn't play as regularly as he should, but we can't afford to have him suffer three injuries a season.

I'm torn on how we went out. On the one hand it's better than being blown out of the water, but on the other when you should have gone through it's a tough pill to swallow.

Too much Busquets hate in this thread for me.

It's not hate, it's criticism and it's entirely deserved. Going into next season I'd rate him our fourth most important midfielder.

Oh come on, this might not be a good night, but show a little humor. It was nothing more.

Sure.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This shows what a poor league La Ligue is. Barca were not fit or strong enough and could not cope with the intensity. Barc play at a canter most weeks and NEVER have anyone go at them like Liverpool did tonight. Messi is for me the best player in the world and they have some other world class players, no doubt, but because the league is so weak they almost never face adversity so have no idea how to cope with it. They were rabbits caught in the headlights. That’s where the 4th goal came from, not only were they physically suffering they were mentally shot.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
This shows what a poor league La Ligue is. Barca were not fit or strong enough and could not cope with the intensity. Barc play at a canter most weeks and NEVER have anyone go at them like Liverpool did tonight. Messi is for me the best player in the world and they have some other world class players, no doubt, but because the league is so weak they almost never face adversity so have no idea how to cope with it. They were rabbits caught in the headlights. That’s where the 4th goal came from, not only were they physically suffering they were mentally shot.

This shows you know nothing about La Liga.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Never thought I would see someone from Barca saying another team was "cleverer than us"

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's becoming a bit of a pattern with Klopp teams down late in the second leg of a European tie: Malaga (2013), Dortmund (2016), and now this. He definitely knows how to inspire a huge comeback.

It's because his mentality is perfect for the scenario. If there's a manager who can credibly tell players to just go out there, have fun, give their best and then see what happens, it's him. His enthusiasm and honesty are his strongest weapons. He's not the most tactically sophisticated manager or obsessive-compulsive genius football architect, but he's one of the best man managers this game has seen.

Reactions: gary69

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
B8A64B8E-C536-45DD-81B8-7BBAC8944E40.jpeg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Finally not on my phone.

From the Barcelona perspective, I think there are only two judgments to be made and that a result such as this is something you can't put a lot of long term value in. However there are two really bad aspects here.

1. Coutinho straight in the bin. He displayed all his worst attributes over the course of these two games, over the whole season in fact. I rate the player but I'm not sure that even matters now. The problem is that he doesn't have the physical attributes for a game like this one and to win the Champions League, a team has to win games like this one. I don't think it's anything the player himself has any control over, but he was ran over so frequently over the course of both matches. It's also not a coincidence that Liverpool hit this level without him and this transfer has largely funded our victory.

2. Valverde. Bye. These games do defy logic but when it happened to the same manager two times, that's a problem.

I don't really know how to start off my thoughts, I think I already said what I needed to say most. But beyond that, the final last year, it's always bothered me and I've been unable to keep that in as the season has gone on as some of you may notice. I feel like we were robbed of the opportunity of a fair game last year all because some dirty :eek::eek::eek::eek: fouled our player and injured him on purpose. I never thought I would be able to get over that, but to be honest, I am now. That was incredibly cathartic.

The likelihood of getting back to the final felt rather slim at various points, but none more so than last week. Last week's game was bad enough that I had scheduled a work engagement for 2 PM today, something I could have cancelled at 11 AM, but once Salah got hurt, I resolved to go to the work thing. I thought that it would keep me from being upset, but in the end, this was a mistake. Who could have possibly known this would happen though? So I'm about to walk out the door and Origi scores, I think you can imagine how that works, took absolutely everything in me to not lose it and start going crazy, but at that moment I decided not to check the score until I could actually watch the game.

So, I got home and watched the game, and I don't know what to say. I never thought anything would surpass Istanbul but from my perspective nothing is ever going to beat this. I've never seen so many world class, f***ing amazing, even all-time great players disallowed from doing anything to affect the result. Messi was the only one who could break through, but we have a great goalkeeper. It's not just that they were beaten, in the second half they were absolutely helpless. The fourth goal was a travesty of sorts from their perspective with all the players switched off, but it was coming anyway. There was nothing they were going to do to stop the result.

The part at the end with the players in front of the Kop had me in bits. I didn't expect that at all honesty. I always thought the most upsetting part of not winning the league was that this would be the last time this season we got to see those players. Thought it would be tragic if none of these players won a trophy or even made a final, or even worse if the supporters didn't get to see their boys play together again. I can't believe the balls here, I have absolutely never seen shit like this. I thought the end of the season was going to be devastating.

I've seen other teams capitulate at Anfield, this wasn't the first nor the last. But never seen a performance like that from Liverpool. Not ever. They didn't give a f*** about who was missing from the team, about the other competition, about the other game, about who they were playing against. Nothing. To create that mentality is incredible, I obviously care about the final, but that was everything. Nothing is gonna top that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also think it’s fair to say, that while the idea that La Liga is anyway inferior is dumb, Barca don’t face this type of team at all. Liverpool’s high press is difficult for many, and the intensity they came after it in both legs is difficult to cope with. They’re just so physical that I think some of the Barcelona players had a tough time coping with it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't think it's what you said above, but rather that when they usually play so well in the first half the other team gives in. They made some great plays in the first half and Alisson kept us from getting pumped. There were at least three chances in the first half that our previous keeper would have let in.

I mean, I think this summers transfer pitch is basically going to be that second half. Who wouldn’t want to come play for that?

Some goof posted here last year calling European nights at Anfield overrated so players just gotta go with that guy's take and not watch the games. I don't know who it was who said that, but if you don't believe in that now I don't know.

That's Porto, Roma, Napoli, PSG, City, Barcelona all beaten at Anfield in two seasons. Bayern was the only team to not lose and they should have been put to the sword many times during that game. Logic flies out the window at that place if it's a European game.

They have beaten some amazing teams at Anfield, but for me this was the best team we've beaten since Istanbul. They did everything to finish us in the first half, Matip made an amazing recovery tackle and Alisson made great saves throughout. The difference between Barcelona's first and second half performance was awful though.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Can't ****ing stand Liverpool.

That was awesome.

That makes two of us. I despise Liverpool quite a bit, albeit for different reasons than most (their ownership group owns the Red Sox; f*ck the Red Sox), but Barcelona and Juventus are in a realm all their own for me, so I took a great deal of pleasure in seeing that game unfold the way it did.

Now, hopefully Spurs or Ajax win the Final. Either way, when I saw the draw and saw a Barcelona/Juve final lining up, I'll just say it's a massive relief to see that neither of them are going to be there. Unexpected but wonderful.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That makes two of us. I despise Liverpool quite a bit, albeit for different reasons than most (their ownership group owns the Red Sox; f*ck the Red Sox), but Barcelona and Juventus are in a realm all their own for me, so I took a great deal of pleasure in seeing that game unfold the way it did.

Now, hopefully Spurs or Ajax win the Final. Either way, when I saw the draw and saw a Barcelona/Juve final lining up, I'll just say it's a massive relief to see that neither of them are going to be there. Unexpected but wonderful.

I'm not trying to be a dick when I say this because I rather like Ajax, but I would be worried even more.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also hope they don’t notice, but there were three or four players in red who would look pretty good in Barcelona’s kit. Mane might not have scored, but he would be a stud for that side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->