GWT: Champions League Semi-Finals

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Bundesfodder.

Not really.

Its just that this team is coached by Guardiola.

His record for Barcelona (probably the best team of all time during his stint) in CL knockout away - games:

3 Wins -6 draws - 3 losses.

His record with Bayern:

1 win ( against Arsenal who only played with 10 men for a long stretch after someone got sent off)

4 draws (against powerhouses like Donezk, Benfica, United (Moyes version) and Juve

4 losses (against Porto, Real, Barca, Atletico).

None of those losses were "good" losses where you had a good chance in the return leg.

In 3 semifinals we three times played the first leg away from home in Spain.

Those games were lost 0 : 1 , 0 : 3 , 0 : 1.

In 270 minutes under Pep Bayern Munich failed to score a single goal during the most important time of the season ..

He might be a great coach but he is disgustingly bad when it comes to those crucial away knockout games in the CL.

Can't wait until he is gone....

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I expected Atletico to go through as I stated and I still do. Bayern was unimpressive against Juve, unimpressive against Benfica and could have been out both legs against seriously less talented opponents.
This Atletico team knows how to defend possession teams and is always a good bet to score a goal.

Bayern was pretty good in the first match away at Juve. They just faded in the last 20-30 minutes. It was the next week when Bayern's performances started to fade domestically and in the CL. Juve is IMO pretty close to Atletico in level in the second half of the season, and almost as stubborn defensively. I agree that the Benfica matches were bad from Bayern. Their performance level still could quite possibly rise enough at home to get through.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Atletico has not performed well in the away legs of these ties. The PSV one in particular was one where they should have been near dumped out of the competition with very little hope of getting back into it. They have a pretty difficult job ahead I'd say, but they're very good when pushed back into their own box.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Absolute clownshoes defending on that Atletico goal. It's like watching a bunch of children who don't know how to put a foot in.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
City vs. Atletico would make for an interesting final. Oddly enough I give City a better chance against Atletico than they'd have against Bayern, IMO.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It seems like people are posting as if Bayern are doomed... They still have a home leg where they're unbeatable.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It seems like people are posting as if Bayern are doomed... They still have a home leg where they're unbeatable.

Out of the 7 CL semifinalists who won their first leg at home 1-0, 6 went through to the final.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Atletico has not performed well in the away legs of these ties. The PSV one in particular was one where they should have been near dumped out of the competition with very little hope of getting back into it. They have a pretty difficult job ahead I'd say, but they're very good when pushed back into their own box.
While I only saw a part of this match (it bored me too much), I thought Atletico was superior to PSV; at least the German media sources I've read described Atletico as the more dangerous team as well.

In Barcelona Atletico had the then-juggernaut host in control for the first half; of course they struggled afterwards, but that was playing ten against eleven. Munich still has a good chance to advance, but I would not consider Atletico being a bad away team at all - neither the result from Eindhoven nor the Barcelona one would be enough for Munich.

Gruß,
BSHH

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I somehow feel Bayern won't advance tonight.

Somehow? :) Given the first leg, it's a great position for Atletico. Our defense hasn't inspire much faith that we'll keep a clean sheet, while Atletico's has inspired a lot of faith that there's little hope for three Bayern goals. It's not hopeless by any means, but it's easy to see why most people would put their money on Atletico right now.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Somehow? :) Given the first leg, it's a great position for Atletico. Our defense hasn't inspire much faith that we'll keep a clean sheet, while Atletico's has inspired a lot of faith that there's little hope for three Bayern goals. It's not hopeless by any means, but it's easy to see why most people would put their money on Atletico right now.

It's the semi-finals at Munich. Bayern should be able to score 2 more than Athletico. On paper.
Many people in Germany (including Dinosaur Bela Rethy last week and the German media) don't even understand how good Atl. are.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I like how we're looking to start this. Best in a while. Let's see if we can remain consistent at the back while finding a way to break through up front.

It's the semi-finals at Munich. Bayern should be able to score 2 more than Athletico. On paper.
Many people in Germany (including Dinosaur Bela Rethy last week and the German media) don't even understand how good Atl. are.

Well, its Rety. If he's saying one thing, good bet the opposite is true.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Counterpressing is top notch. Worthy effort of a semifinal so far. Just not clinical enough, yet. Could have had two, already, if Müller doesn't try to set Lewa up and if Lewa just puts a little touch on the rebound to go by Oblak rather than try the shot.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Some really nice pressure, they better hope they get a goal out of it soon though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad