GWT: Champions League Semi-Finals

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I'm going to act like you said as much as you did in the past half year. Sorry, but you're basically a disaster tourist.

Just for the record: Alonso was a last second transfer in reaction to a long injury for Martinez. There was enough quality in midfield when Kroos left, and Alaba was expected to move up, as well. Vidal replaced Schweinsteiger, and was no downgrade over last or this year's Bastian.

It would have been poor coordination with Pep if they were thinking of using Martinez in midfield when Pep had other plans. I thought Benatia was the last minute response to Martinez' injury, since Martinez was iirc playing as a CB in the preliminary matches that season.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Can't even admit that I was against the transfer?
I know you were. Not that Kroos is actually missed at Bayern, at all. But it's a nice story.

Do you really think the first-half is beyond criticizing? Bernat, Alonso, Thiago were horrible.
It's not beyond criticizing. But you've been back for a while, and the first time you feel like commenting on Bayern is after a crap half. Nothing wrong with calling it a bad half even, just that narrative crap on Kroos, Schweinsteiger, is just pointless.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For someone so creative and innovative, Pep's conservatism in big matches never ceases to amaze me. He's such a coward sometimes.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
For what it's worth, the second half has been more what I expected from this match. Bayern don't look utterly incompetant this half.

I find Bayern still pretty bad. Atletico just purposely stopped pressing as high, as they usually do as the match progresses. Really bad structure - pure U shape with bad presence in between Atletico's lines and in the center of the field - and Atletico are excellent at defending out wide.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
For someone so creative and innovative, Pep's conservatism in big matches never ceases to amaze me. He's such a coward sometimes.

Yeah, I agree, but I saw this coming. Home match should be different for Bayern. If they don't go down 3-0 like they did last year, the tie will still very much be in their reach.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Bayern just seem out of sync, so many small mistakes, so many misunderstandings. One of the hallmarks of the Guardiola tenure at Bayern will be that Bayern never seem to be at their best in the big matches. Atletico Madrid should not be the team with the best moment of individual brilliance in a match.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I find Bayern still pretty bad. Atletico just purposely stopped pressing as high, as they usually do as the match progresses. Really bad structure - pure U shape with bad presence in between Atletico's lines and in the center of the field - and Atletico are excellent at defending out wide.
It's just more like I expected. Bayern looked in shambles last half.

I know you were. Not that Kroos is actually missed at Bayern, at all. But it's a nice story.

It's not beyond criticizing. But you've been back for a while, and the first time you feel like commenting on Bayern is after a crap half. Nothing wrong with calling it a bad half even, just that narrative crap on Kroos, Schweinsteiger, is just pointless.
I think Kroos is missed and Alonso doesn't belong here.

And yeah, Schweini I've never loved - what of it? He's one of the most overrated players in Bayern history. And history will not be kind to him or his legacy - he's had relatively VERY few moments of magic or inspiration.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Said no one ever. I criticized him for playing Alonso, myself. But noone needs a reference to some guy that left two years ago every single time he's being commented on.
Losing a world-class German talent for absolutely no reason is shameful.

Especially considering they threw 30mio+salary down the drain acquiring Benatia.

Anyway, I didn't even bring him up, rest easy. We have bigger fish to fry - like to ensure Alonso doesn't play the home leg. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad