GWT: Champions League - Round of 16

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
yeah and then you went off on miscellaneous gobbledegook bullcrap about how it was a foul because french pundits said so, when every element of the process was the standard "we are verifying that the flag was correct" process. it was ruled offside.
No. It was ruled a foul. Which was not. Same for offside.

And even if in some case someone argues by the rulebook this should be a good goal, then we need to change something, it is a ridiculous call

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

And even if in some case someone argues by the rulebook this should be a good goal, then we need to change something, it is a ridiculous call
RB Leipzig seems to believe the goal was called off for offside, but I guess they could be wrong.

"RBL got off to a great start to the game and found the back of the net in the 2nd minute through Benjamin Sesko, but the goal was disallowed due to an offside call against Benjamin Henrichs."

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

It was flagged on the play, checked to confirm the offside, and the on-field decision confirmed. Nowhere besides mystical French pundits and now you have I seen that VAR did anything more than check the offside.

Again, the interference itself is subjective. It's on the softer side (softer has been given). But it was ruled out for the offside that was flagged on the play.
BBC:
After Dani Carvajal played a loose pass out for corner after two minutes, Sesko headed home the second ball but had his effort ruled out as Benjamin Henrichs was judged to be offside and impeding goalkeeper Lunin.
The Athletic:
Hell why not,
Google:

The hosts thought they'd opened the scoring after a few minutes as Sesko headed home from inside the box, but the assistant referee had his flag up for offside.

Also, even though it's at this point academic - even if it had been a foul, they likely would've just gone with the on-field flag anyhow given that fouling someone from an offside position is absolutely interfering with the play, so they wouldn't have overridden the offside just to rule out for a foul.

The goal was ruled out for offside at pitch level, and VAR confirmed it.

Again, interference itself is subjective, and this being ruled out is iffy. But what is not subjective is that offside is why it was ruled out.

Reactions: bluesfan94

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Pretty uneventful first half in Lazio-Bayern. A beautiful free kick play almost had Sané scoring but no big chances apart from that. I'll probably switch to the other hame for the second half, could already be an important half for PSG.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Pretty uneventful first half in Lazio-Bayern. A beautiful free kick play almost had Sané scoring but no big chances apart from that. I'll probably switch to the other hame for the second half, could already be an important half for PSG.
Bayern's offense is so much more fluid and uptempo when Müller plays...but it's not enough to overcome how much Kimmich slows it down. That Kimmich-Goretzka midfield should never see the light of day again, for club or country.

Reactions: JoVel

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Lazio missing some big chances at the beginning of the second too. Pretty even game so far in Rome, Bayern have more of the ball but it's by desing from Sarri.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Saw a red for him on my feed and had to switch back to this game, incredibly careless tackle.
He has that decision in him a couple times a year. Making life much easier for Lazio right now, and Sarri puts some offensive players in.

Reactions: JoVel

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Surprising that Beraldo starts for PSG at LB, his CL debut. Captain Oyarzabal missing for Sociedad could be a big loss for them.
He's played all games, but he's not a good LB. Hernandez is coming off injury and Mendes is not yet ready to come back.

First half was really Sociedad, but the second is PSG's. Barcola scored a beauty.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He has that decision in him a couple times a year. Making life much easier for Lazio right now, and Sarri puts some offensive players in.
Bayern is a mess by Bayern standards but they should still be able to get the job done at home, but this result sure as hell isn't making Tuchel's life any easier.

Can't help but feel Lazio should've been more aggressive after Upamecano's red card. Bayern is still the favorite going to Allianz down 1-0. Lazio makes it 2-0 and things get very interesting. Of course, now they can say they beat Bayern, no matter what happens in the 2nd leg.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
He's played all games, but he's not a good LB. Hernandez is coming off injury and Mendes is not yet ready to come back.

First half was really Sociedad, but the second is PSG's. Barcola scored a beauty.
That was a really nice goal. Real sociedad looked very tired second half. PSG's roster just better and deeper

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lol who votes for these? Guendouzi was doing his usual best headless chicken impression, not a motm performance. Did win a lot of physical duels though, but his positioning and passing were as usual lacking. Luis Alberto with great midfield control or Isaksen for his runs were motm for me.
He's been among Lazio's best players this season per pretty much every publication.
I don't watch much Serie A so I can't give my own opinion.
But yeah Douzi is apparently having a great year.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
He's been among Lazio's best players this season per pretty much every publication.
I don't watch much Serie A so I can't give my own opinion.
But yeah Douzi is apparently having a great year.
He might be, I haven't seen a lot of them this year. Just surprised he got motm last night, cause that I've seen.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
He might be, I haven't seen a lot of them this year. Just surprised he got motm last night, cause that I've seen.
Yesterday he was among the best on the pitch, certainly not the best on the pitch, just as before him this year there are Provedel, Felipe Anderson, Zaccagni, Marusic, I would also include Patric and definitely Romagnoli. Often even Vecino with fewer minutes made more of a difference than him, who remains a good player. But hey, he's a French player, so why not make him look like Jesus Christ??

Reactions: bluesfan94

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Who said that? Oh yes nobody. He simply got MOTM yesterday and has been in good form for Lazio. Apparently that's too much praise for some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad