GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part III

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I feel like last year it was leaked ahead of time too and came true, though that may have been the next round when there were fewer options

It was for the semis. And it looked like one of the 3-4 "leaked draw" posts somewhere got it right. Nothing more.

Now if they get it right in the quarters... Then we can talk about a fixed draw.

But until I see Uncle Toni somewhere about, I'm not buying it.
(for the uneducated, Uncle Toni was Rafael Nadal's coach - and is his uncle - and for a period about 4 years, there was a run of 16 Grand Slams where Federer, Djokovic and Nadal were the top-3 seeds, so there was a 50/50 chance that one of them ends up in his own half of the draw and the other two have to play each other in the semis... 50/50 chances aside, Federer and Djokovic ended up in the same half of the draw 15 out of 16 times, and Nadal was in his own half - leading tennis fans to conjure up the "Uncle Toni" conspiracy)

Note: Maybe it was 14 times, there are articles on the interwebz.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Ajax drawing one of the big 4; Juventus. Their streak will end here, though De Ligt vs Ronaldo was always on my wish list.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Ajax - Juventus
Liverpool - Porto
Tottenham - City
Barcelona - United
(edit: Barca-Utd will be reversed so the Manchesters don't play at the same time)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No last year it wasn't a leaked draw.
It was Roma 's website putting the tickets on sale on its website with the good date before the game.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
In the first juve-atleti one they really missed the opportunity to do "what should Atleti do?" "NOTHING"

Game really did look like that was their entire strategy though. :D

At some point, Simeone's got to take some blame as well.
He bought Lemar for 70m to run around like an improvised LB and defend only. They have quality players, they don't have to play defendball only anymore.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Game really did look like that was their entire strategy though. :D

At some point, Simeone's got to take some blame as well.
He bought Lemar for 70m to run around like an improvised LB and defend only. They have quality players, they don't have to play defendball only anymore.

I really wanted Lemar at Arsenal so it was extra annoying for Simeone to get him and not use his talents well. I mean, I don't watch Atleti basically at all, so I can't comment on who's to blame, but he hasn't exactly been on fire since going there

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not happy with the draw. Would have preferred Juventus, City or Liverpool. At least it wasn't Ajax.

On a side note, I was creeping on a Barca fan forum and found their current thread on Ronaldo very interesting. There’s still your typical haters sprinkled in but it’s amazing how much a significant portion of them have changed their opinion on him. From page 326 onward.
Cr150 - Page 326

From the little I bothered to read the best points were by the "typical haters". A whole lot of nonsense otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad