GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part III

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
:laugh:
You said VAR doesn't make judgement calls and as such shouldn't have dealt with the Suarez penalty.
But they dealt with the handball.
You're rather dense. Throughout this thread I've said the Barca call was a bad call. I never disagreed with you there. Please quote where I said that. Let me save you the time, I didn't say that.

What I actually said is that VAR doesn't overturn calls like the Juve pen because that's a judgment call. There was both a push (even if you disagree with what everyone else can see) and contact in the legs (even if you disagree with what everyone else can see). Was it soft? Sure, but there was contact, thus it's a judgment call.

The handball wasn't necessarily a judgment call. If the ref checked it because VAR reported that a ball hit the hand (which they are supposed to do) that the ref didn't see, then the ref makes the call after reviewing the video. Which he did. You might not agree with the judgment of the ref, but that's not the point of VAR. It isn't an Evilo machine.

I'm telling you man, take yourself off the pitch for the rest of this one. Try again next game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:facepalm:
I know you said the Suarez call was bad. That isn't my point. My point is that both calls being called differently is illogical since VAR should have been equal treatment in both cases.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
:facepalm:
I know you said the Suarez call was bad. That isn't my point. My point is that both calls being called differently is illogical since VAR should have been equal treatment in both cases.
Which both calls? You've tossed around four different calls, all of which are different, and it makes sense for different treatment.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I took the examples of VAR interfering with the PSG play and not with the Barca play.
Cool. And they're not the same situation at all, so you're on something in the name of PSG and French football everywhere.

One was a call that, in my opinion, should not have been a judgment call and thus was a bad call (Barcelona). I will admit, @hatterson laid out a good explanation how it could have been a judgment call though. Still, bad call in my eyes.

On the other hand, it is very likely that the referee did not see the handball, and thus it was not a judgment call to go to the video. It was a handball in the box that the ref didn't see. VAR is supposed to flag those for the ref to review. Then, once the review happens, it is the ref's judgment whether or not to give the penalty.

Those are blatantly different situations to begin with, and you're using one where I'm saying that it was a bad call to prove that the other one should have been treated differently. That's so moronic. I'm saying that I think the VAR didn't work right in the Barca game, and you're saying that the PSG game should have gone more like that. If you can't understand how harebrained that concept is, there's legitimately no hope for you.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
French football :facepalm:
Corto shit again.

You're still turning the tables here.
I'll repeat one last time : you say VAR is for offsides and such, not for judgements calls.
You (rightfully) say the Suarez call was bad, but that's the point here.

My point is that when the ref talks to the VAR on the Suarez penalty, there's no WAY it's something other than a judgement call. He can ask for 1/ is the player impeding Suarez' progress? or 2/ was Suarez fouled by Denayer?. To both questions, VAR should say NO. Thus preventing the penalty.
On the PSG game, the ref didn't see or didn't think the handball was penalty worthy. VAR called him because they THOUGHT it was a possible call.

In those two cases, two examples among many, the VAR quit the "offsides and uncertainty" territory. They clearly went on the judgment sides of things. And were wrong both times, but that's another matter.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
One was a call that, in my opinion, should not have been a judgment call and thus was a bad call (Barcelona). I will admit, @hatterson laid out a good explanation how it could have been a judgment call though. Still, bad call in my eyes.

Yea I think it's a terrible call and said so at the time, I'm just playing devils advocate (or rather "there's not an fing conspiracy" advocate) and showing how a referee could have viewed that as a similar situation to a defender stepping in front of an attacker. Just because he gets there first, doesn't mean it's not a foul.

Just because the defenders foot is down doesn't mean it's not a foul so it depends on what the ref said he saw if VAR has anything "clear and obvious" that he missed.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
French football :facepalm:
Corto **** again.

You're still turning the tables here.
I'll repeat one last time : you say VAR is for offsides and such, not for judgements calls.
You (rightfully) say the Suarez call was bad, but that's the point here.

My point is that when the ref talks to the VAR on the Suarez penalty, there's no WAY it's something other than a judgement call. He can ask for 1/ is the player impeding Suarez' progress? or 2/ was Suarez fouled by Denayer?. To both questions, VAR should say NO. Thus preventing the penalty.
On the PSG game, the ref didn't see or didn't think the handball was penalty worthy. VAR called him because they THOUGHT it was a possible call.

In those two cases, two examples among many, the VAR quit the "offsides and uncertainty" territory. They clearly went on the judgment sides of things. And were wrong both times, but that's another matter.
Yeah, the French football is totally borne out of Corto and not years of my experience here.

You're not able to figure this out. The handball easily - in fact, I'd go as far as to say probably - was not a question of judgment from VAR. It was a question of missing a ball hitting a hand.

I'm done arguing this because you're just repeating the same wrong thing over and over no matter what anyone says.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Link me to ONE post about a french conspiracy. Years of experience my ass. Lies, trolls, hello.

Even if you think the handball isn't a judgement call, then there's not a single way the Suarez one wasn't.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Link me to ONE post about a french conspiracy. Years of experience my ass. Lies, trolls, hello.

Even if you think the handball isn't a judgement call, then there's not a single way the Suarez one wasn't.
I don't know how many times I have to repeat to you that I think the Suarez call was the wrong call. One day you'll figure it out. In three years, it'll just hit you.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
OMG. You are something.

I never said you said the contrary. It's not about whether the call was right or wrong FFS. It's about the use of VAR.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
OMG. You are something.

I never said you said the contrary. It's not about whether the call was right or wrong FFS. It's about the use of VAR.
I think VAR should have been used.

Hopefully repetition helps you.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But you said it's not for judgement calls.

And BTW, it was used.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

And BTW, it was used.
And I think that that shouldn't be considered a judgment call. I get why it might be, but I disagree with it.

By VAR being used, I meant that VAR should have been used to let the ref review the play and the call should have been overturned. For what it's worth, VAR is used for every play, it's just whether or not it can overturn the play. I think we're talking past each other. Regardless, if VAR was used both in Barcelona and in Paris, where's your complaint?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I complained about the awful judgements made by VAR to which you replied "no judgement calls made by VAR". That was the point of the discussion. The two situations were simply examples.

Anyway, VAR sucks and has become another very arguable system instead of being a help for the ref.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
tenor.gif

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If it'll get us out of this argument then definitely :)
You think there’s a chance it won’t carry over? :popcorn::laugh:

On a side note, I was creeping on a Barca fan forum and found their current thread on Ronaldo very interesting. There’s still your typical haters sprinkled in but it’s amazing how much a significant portion of them have changed their opinion on him. From page 326 onward.
Cr150 - Page 326

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
You think there’s a chance it won’t carry over? :popcorn::laugh:

On a side note, I was creeping on a Barca fan forum and found their current thread on Ronaldo very interesting. There’s still your typical haters sprinkled in but it’s amazing how much a significant portion of them have changed their opinion on him. From page 326 onward.
Cr150 - Page 326

Yeah, here in the city it is similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->