GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part III

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably not as horrid as it must be for an Arsenal supporter.
Arsenal has had ups and downs this year as we all expected here. Losing to Rennes would be a bad loss
(and not sure why you're bringing them up?), but honestly after all the joke posts I've had to read about how the EPL sucks due to the lack of success in Europe its nice to see those trolls hide under their bridges. With that said, I hope every single EPL team loses in the long run. :nod:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Since the ref indicated nothing, you're wrong.
And since the Barca ref talked to the VAR, you're wrong as well.
The ref indicating nothing doesn't mean he made a judgment call; it could mean he didn't see if it hit a hand or not and that's partially what VAR is for. Determining something that is black and white (did it hit the arm) and from that point he has to make his own judgment call (whether or not it's a penalty).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah, VAR called him. They called him because he didn't see the "hand". So the judgement call was overturned.
Then on the Suarez call, the ref talked to the VAR (you can see him touching his ear for several seconds before the Messi kick). He was told by VAR that his judgement call was the right one.

In both cases, VAR made the ref take the wrong decision.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Nah, VAR called him. They called him because he didn't see the "hand". So the judgement call was overturned.

They called him to let him know it hit the hand which it appears he didn't see. That's black and white.

He then chose to take a look at the replay himself and made the judgement that the defender was making him body bigger with his arm out and thus it was a penalty.

Reactions: YNWA14

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So then how do you explain the Barca ref asking the VAR? Since VAR isn't supposed to take care of judgement calls?
You can't have it both ways.

If the PSG ref was called for making the wrong call (handball) then the Barca ref could be told Suarez was not fouled.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't believe that fake draw paper, but if so I would be pleased as it would massively increase our chances in the league.

I think it said...

Liverpool vs. Ajax
Juve vs. Porto
United vs. Tottenham
Barcelona vs. City

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It depends on what the ref said to VAR in regards to the Suarez pen.

If he said he saw how the feet came together, but felt that the defender impeded Suarez natural running path (regardless of whose foot got there first) there's nothing to review.

And anyway, VAR isn't supposed to only look at black and white, but rather to address "clear and obvious errors"

A ball hitting an arm instead of a leg in the penalty area when the arm is at least a bit out from the body is a clear and obvious error. It's not automatically a pen, but it's worth having the ref look again.
A player being offside but not flagged as such is a clear and obvious error.
A judgement call on if something is a foul or not is not a clear and obvious error unless there is something definitively missed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, it's not an obvious error since the lack of intent was obvious.
The ref talked to VAR about Suarez. It's beyond obvious he didn't impede Suarez's progress since he never reached Suarez's path.

Nope, you can't have it both way. Either both were to be reviewed properly by VAR or neither should.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The angel on my shoulder wants a matchup where we're heavily favored. The devil on my other shoulder wants a piece of United.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Since the ref indicated nothing, you're wrong.
And since the Barca ref talked to the VAR, you're wrong as well.
Okay.

You’re not making any point besides saying you're wrong, including telling me I’m wrong when I’m agreeing with you, so I think we’re done here. When the foam around your mouth subsides, try posting again.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No, it's not an obvious error since the lack of intent was obvious.
The ref talked to VAR about Suarez. It's beyond obvious he didn't impede Suarez's progress since he never reached Suarez's path.

Nope, you can't have it both way. Either both were to be reviewed properly by VAR or neither should.
Intent doesn’t matter for those handballs.

The Barça call was wrong. You’re really bad at arguing. You’re taking something everyone is saying is wrong and using that as proof of something else.

Just stop. It’s getting sad.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:laugh:
You said VAR doesn't make judgement calls and as such shouldn't have dealt with the Suarez penalty.
But they dealt with the handball.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't believe that fake draw paper, but if so I would be pleased as it would massively increase our chances in the league.

I think it said...

Liverpool vs. Ajax
Juve vs. Porto
United vs. Tottenham
Barcelona vs. City
City having the toughest draw possible helps Liverpool. Whether that's Barca, Juve, or Liverpool. though if they get bounced, that's one less competition to focus on.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Intent doesn't matter at all, so not sure why that would be brought up.

If the ref deemed that Suarez, in possession of the ball, was running in a normal way and then the defender slide in and put his foot beneath Suarez' (where he was going to land), then that's a foul on the defender. If the referee said to VAR that's what he saw, then there's nothing for VAR to overturn as it's a judgement call. I think it's a ridiculous judgement, but that's still within the refs realm of control.

If the ref told the VAR guys that he thought the defender went studs into Suarez ankle, then that's something for VAR to review.

Either way, I'm not (and really no one is) arguing that VAR is absolutely perfect. We're just saying that it's not some giant conspiracy meant to hurt French teams that's somehow been given as instructions to all of the VAR refs and field officials but magically has never made it into the public.

"VAR made a mistake" <---- perfectly fine point
"UEFA is secretly (but also super publicly and high profile) trying to screw over every French team because PSG cheated, but they haven't done it in any number of ways that would be super easy despite chances being there, they've done it by leaving the fixes as late as possible" <--- That's a ridiculous point and why people are commenting about it.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If the ref deemed that Suarez, in possession of the ball, was running in a normal way and then the defender slide in and put his foot beneath Suarez' (where he was going to land), then that's a foul on the defender. If the referee said to VAR that's what he saw, then there's nothing for VAR to overturn as it's a judgement call. I think it's a ridiculous judgement, but that's still within the refs realm of control.

Either way, I'm not (and really no one is) arguing that VAR is absolutely perfect. We're just saying that it's not some giant conspiracy meant to hurt French teams that's somehow been given as instructions to all of the VAR refs and field officials but magically has never made it into the public.

"VAR made a mistake" <---- perfectly fine point
"UEFA is secretly (but also super publicly and high profile) trying to screw over every French team because PSG cheated, but they haven't done it in any number of ways that would be super easy despite chances being there, they've done it by leaving the fixes as late as possible" <--- That's a ridiculous point and why people are commenting about it.

WTF????

I'll answer point per point.
The defenseman never was in Suarez path. If the ref asks for this VAR denies it. If the ref asks if the defenseman took Suarez ankle, they should deny it as well.

French teams? WHERE THE f*** HAVE I SAID THERE'S A CONSPIRACY AGAINST FRENCH TEAMS? You should stop reading Corto's posts, they're bad for health. In fact as a mod, you should look at his trolling since he's posting that very same shit post after post and you believe it.

I talked about UEFA reffing against PSG. And big teams over smaller teams. Nothing else.

So, yeah ridiculous point indeed.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
:facepalm:
Never mind, I wrote about it a few pages ago, but you prefer to spew Corto's shit. I guess the more you throw the more there's hope it sticks and clearly Corto managed to convince you I said things I never said.
Probably easier this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad