GWT: Champions League Round of 16 II

Jul 17, 2006
New Zealand
Are there any city fans on this board ? Is it a tactical or personnel problem for them ?

I haven't watched too much of their premier league games this season but they really seem to struggle with some fairly basic (for professionals) defensive concepts

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
So I still have horses in this race. But the problem with rooting for second-tier teams is that they usually come up short to a team with superior talent (i.e. Barca/Real/Bayern) when the chips are down. That's ok though; if Leceister can win the EPL then anything. is. possible! :laugh:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Are there any city fans on this board ? Is it a tactical or personnel problem for them ?

I haven't watched too much of their premier league games this season but they really seem to struggle with some fairly basic (for professionals) defensive concepts

More of a personnel issue. Their full backs are washed up and their center backs are weak.

This tie didn't really change my perception of City that much, so I don't know if a post mortem is appropriate.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
More of a personnel issue. Their full backs are washed up and their center backs are weak.

This tie didn't really change my perception of City that much, so I don't know if a post mortem is appropriate.

With all their struggles and a terrible first half, City still managed to create a lot of scoring chances. Aguero was terrible and is leaving after this season for sure... he doesn't seem to fit Guardiola's system. Gabriel Jesus would've scored at least one with all the glorious chances Aguero had.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Going by the highlights it must be an experience watching Monaco on a regular basis. There seems to be an unlimited supply of them following up on plays.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would like to draw Leicester. Who wouldn't?

If not, I wouldn't mind drawing Monaco. Are we allowed to play Bayern or does that only apply for the Round of 16?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I feel this year, aside from Dortmund and Leicester, any team could win it.

Real and Bayern are obviously the favorites but the other 4 teams have a legitimate chance.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I feel this year, aside from Dortmund and Leicester, any team could win it.

Real and Bayern are obviously the favorites but the other 4 teams have a legitimate chance.

It's been decades since the last time to repeat as champions... there's no way this Madrid is the team that accomplishes back to back CL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Way to group us with a team that might get relegated. :laugh:

We've been pretty impeccable in the Champions League this year. If we are getting docked for domestic league form, you gotta do the same for Atletico. Our form of late hasn't even been that bad. We've been notably better the last month or so.

I really don't understand much of an argument that we are on a lower level than Monaco and Atletico, and even Juventus, I'd like our chances against them. If anyone remembers, we also topped our group over Real Madrid.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Monaco-BVB could be really interesting, as two of the most intriguing up-and-coming young teams going head to head would be fun even if Tuchel managed to strangle Monaco's explosiveness...but I'd much rather see Monaco face Barca (or maybe Real). Those teams would put on a real show, and I don't think either german team left in the CL are playing attractively enough to be a safe bet to do the same. When they're clicking they can be lethal, but they've both had to grind out a lot more ugly victories than they had in recent years.

BVB - Leicester is the other match up I really want, even though Leicester's park the bus & counter stratagem is one that has confounded BVB in the past. The gulf in class is just too great, and parked busses haven't stifled Tuchel's BVB as much as they used to vex Kloppo's.

For Bayern I'd like to see them face Athletico again and take advantage of the madrid club's awful form to get the monkey off their back from last season & give their confidence/momentum a big boost before running into Real/Barca. If not athletico I'd want them to face Juve, if Barca or Real get Monaco & BVB gets Leicester.

So my ideal draw is

Monaco - Barca
Leicester - BVB
Athleti - Bayern
Juventus - Real

With the teams I'd pick to advance on the right...although I have no clue what to expect from Juve. I lean towards feeling like they're just not on the same level as Real/Barca/Bayern and would get outclassed. But I do really love Bonucci, Dybala, and that midfield can absolutely do to one of those teams what the PSG midfield did to Barca in the first leg. So they are the biggest unknown/wildcard to me because I just don't know what to expect when they run into one of those super-giants.

haha what

You do have a shot if you keep getting healthier and certain key players continue improving their form (Bartra in particular). But I have a tough time seeing you guys winning it all as well. The d isn't as rock solid as it would have to be for me to be confident in it against such opposition. And even with Raphael drawing in ahead of Weigl, I'm not sure if Tuchel has a convincing solution to get that midfield to where it needs to be to trump one of the super giants.

Now, if you do get Dahoud or Keita & Toprak; while Bartra just keeps getting better with time in your structure or Merino breaks through as a top notch ball playing CB; and Auba sticks around for another year (or two); then things could be very different next year...especially if Dembele, Pulisic, Mor, and Passlack take the steps expected of them and Gotze comes back in much better shape.

But this year; that defense is still too vulnerable, the midfield is still missing that one piece to link Weigl & co to the attack against top sides, and the attack isn't consistently prolific enough to make up for all of those vulnerabilities.

TBF I can't see Athleti winning it either, have a hard time seeing Monaco making it all of the way with that defense, and am unsure of what to make of Juve; so I wouldn't limit it to just Leicester & BVB, but I really don't either of them pulling it off...although BVB are clearly closer to the Monaco & Athleti tier of pretenders than to Leicester; who would need a few true miracles to make it.

It's been decades since the last time to repeat as champions... there's no way this Madrid is the team that accomplishes back to back CL.

They wouldn't deserve to be the first team to win back-to-back; but I can certainly see them stumbling into it this season.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
You do have a shot if you keep getting healthier and certain key players continue improving their form (Bartra in particular). But I have a tough time seeing you guys winning it all as well. The d isn't as rock solid as it would have to be for me to be confident in it against such opposition. And even with Raphael drawing in ahead of Weigl, I'm not sure if Tuchel has a convincing solution to get that midfield to where it needs to be to trump one of the super giants.

Now, if you do get Dahoud or Keita & Toprak; while Bartra just keeps getting better with time in your structure or Merino breaks through as a top notch ball playing CB; and Auba sticks around for another year (or two); then things could be very different next year...especially if Dembele, Pulisic, Mor, and Passlack take the steps expected of them and Gotze comes back in much better shape.

But this year; that defense is still too vulnerable, the midfield is still missing that one piece to link Weigl & co to the attack against top sides, and the attack isn't consistently prolific enough to make up for all of those vulnerabilities.

TBF I can't see Athleti winning it either, have a hard time seeing Monaco making it all of the way with that defense, and am unsure of what to make of Juve; so I wouldn't limit it to just Leicester & BVB, but I really don't either of them pulling it off...although BVB are clearly closer to the Monaco & Athleti tier of pretenders than to Leicester; who would need a few true miracles to make it.

I don't think Dortmund are one of the stronger teams left on paper, and this is an off year for them as far as roster planning goes, but they're certainly not in a class with Leicester. None of the top teams have distinguished themselves at all this year, and their lack of consistency doesn't matter in a two match tie. The door is still very open for Dortmund, Juve, Atletico, and Monaco. More than in previous years.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I still don't think Barça will win the CL this year so I just want a fun draw for the next round. Dortmund or Monaco would be ideal.

But please, no Spanish matchups. There have been so many Clasicos already and we have played Atletico 4 times this season so far and that's enough.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Juventus-Real
Athletico-Bayern
Monaco-Dortmund
Barca-Leicester

Top 3 would be great matchups.

Lastly, I despise Leicester. The only redeemable quality about them was Ranieri. I want to see them lose by 10, and I want to see Vardy and Suarez, world class trash, fight to the death.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
a nice balanced mix of both?
I for one did not get Pep's tactical decisions yesterday...seemed like they were basically playing a 4-1-5 and Monaco took advantage of the midfield space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad