GWT: Champions League Round of 16 II

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Real, eh? That's going to be (most likely) two goose-bumpy nights of CL football, so that is fantastic. Could have lived with an easier draw, but I'll take it. It's a huge CL clash, so the stakes are always high, but when it goes against Real, beating or losing to the likes of Ronaldo, Pepe and Ramos makes the emotional stakes even higher.

I kinda doubt Barca will struggle too much with Juve, but we shall see.

BVB vs. Monaco has the makings of a surreal set of games, so it might as well turn into the opposite. Or it does break goal records.

While Atletico will obviously be quite happy, I think Leicester should be quite happy, too. I think they match up better against them than against the giants, maybe like Eindhoven did against Atletico last year. Summary from another board that I thought was funny:
Atletico vs Leicester "Here, have the ball" "No, you have the ball" "No you" "I insist" "Look, we really want you to have the ball" "Nah, we're fine

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Please.

sergio-ramos-1398841230.jpg

His penalty is still orbiting the earth.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very nice draw.

Monaco is not one of the better teams left in this competition. I think we'll go through.

Atletico-Leicester is so boring. I hope Leicester goes through.

Real-Bavaria. Very nice draw. Two giants, one will go out. Barcelona-Juventus is similar, but to a lesser extent.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I know Dortmund and Monaco aren't the best teams left, but that match up has the potential to be super fun to watch.. Same with Bayern/Madrid and Juve/Barca obviously.. No one wants to watch Leicester City vs. Atletico

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good to see Monaco being highly underrated. Let's hope it stays that way.

You are picking Mbappe over Dembele. :sarcasm:

Monaco is a good team, but excuse me for preferring drawing them to Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich. I'm sure Monaco fans are okay with drawing Dortmund, and thats fine. We are not one of the favorites left.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Arguably the 4 best teams facing each other.

I think Monaco will go through, and Atletico as well. I have no idea who's going to win in the other 2 matchups, but Bayern are in a nice momentum.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Good to see Monaco being highly underrated.

Is it really "highly underrating" them to say they're not one of the better teams left in the competition from a BVB point of view? How many of Real, Bayern, Barca, Atletico and Juve are they better than, all things considered?

Or is it a fan's optimism believing his team will go through that is highly underrating them?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think Monaco is a huge darkhorse. Only their inexperience goes against them.
Their only weakness is quick wingers behind their FBs.
They eliminated City by falling into youth mistakes and having a starting CB out for both legs as well as their main striker out for the second leg.
Can't see Dortmund's D holding back those Monaco strikers.
I think right now Monaco is a tough draw. Leicester, Dortmund, Atletico are a step under (Leicester a huge step under) and it can be argued that Barca, Real and Juventus would need to show much better football to be considered heavy favourites in any matchup against any team but Leicester.
Only Bayern seems in full form right now and would be the draw I'd like to avoid.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Is it really "highly underrating" them to say they're not one of the better teams left in the competition from a BVB point of view? How many of Real, Bayern, Barca, Atletico and Juve are they better than, all things considered?

Or is it a fan's optimism believing his team will go through that is highly underrating them?

Saying Dortmund will go through ("very nice draw") is underrating Monaco IMO.
It's a tough draw for Dortmund. Certainly not an easy one for Monaco either, but as I said, I believe they can beat anyone, including all the usual suspects.
History has nothing to do with this.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
As for Dembélé vs Mbappé, I can't say I like one better than the other.
Mbappé is brighter off the field, but both are such joys to watch on it.
Different players too. Hopefully the future of french NT games.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
"Very nice draw" is in a different paragraph. That might just as well be about all the matchups. But even if it was just about the Monaco draw, should a BVB fan really have hoped to play Real, Bayern, Barca, Atleti or Juve instead?

A BVB fan saying "I think we'll go through" is really tame optimism. Calling that "highly underrating" Monaco is a bit arrogant in favour of Monaco, to be honest, as if even Dortmund fans shouldn't see any reason for optimism. I think you're going a bit over the top there. Monaco has gotten plenty of respect for their performances this season, and nobody is treating them like a pushover.

It's a tough draw for Dortmund. Certainly not an easy one for Monaco either, but as I said, I believe they can beat anyone, including all the usual suspects.
It's definitely a tough draw for Dortmund, but outside of Leicester, all of them were going to be. They can beat anyone on one (or two) nights, I completely agree, but the same holds true for all of these teams (minus Leicester, IMO). If you get to believe they can beat anyone (which is fine), then a BVB fan surely gets to believe they will go through. It's not underrating.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I know Dortmund and Monaco aren't the best teams left, but that match up has the potential to be super fun to watch.. Same with Bayern/Madrid and Juve/Barca obviously.. No one wants to watch Leicester City vs. Atletico

Actually I think the Dortmund/Monaco matchup might be the most interesting. Dortmund's defence is crap, but they might score alot. So will Monaco. I don't think BvB will advance.

So I think:

Barca, Real, Atletico, Monaco.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
"Very nice draw" is in a different paragraph. That might just as well be about all the matchups. But even if it was just about the Monaco draw, should a BVB fan really have hoped to play Real, Bayern, Barca, Atleti or Juve instead?

A BVB fan saying "I think we'll go through" is really tame optimism. Calling that "highly underrating" Monaco is a bit arrogant in favour of Monaco, to be honest, as if even Dortmund fans shouldn't see any reason for optimism. I think you're going a bit over the top there. Monaco has gotten plenty of respect for their performances this season, and nobody is treating them like a pushover.

It's definitely a tough draw for Dortmund, but outside of Leicester, all of them were going to be. They can beat anyone on one (or two) nights, I completely agree, but the same holds true for all of these teams (minus Leicester, IMO). If you get to believe they can beat anyone (which is fine), then a BVB fan surely gets to believe they will go through. It's not underrating.

A Dortmund fan reacting to the draw with "a very nice draw" and "we will go through" is what you call optimism, I call that underrating Monaco.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
A Dortmund fan reacting to the draw with "a very nice draw" and "we will go through" is what you call optimism, I call that underrating Monaco.

Again, "Nice draw" is in a different paragraph. And it's still a better draw than Real, Barca, Bayern. He said "I think we'll go through". Calling that highly underrating Monaco is absurd. You're being ridiculous here.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure.
Imagine a Real fan saying :
A very nice draw.
I think we'll go through.

Sure sure, they wouldn't underrate Bayern :sarcasm:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Sure.
Imagine a Real fan saying :
A very nice draw.
I think we'll go through.

Sure sure, they wouldn't underrate Bayern :sarcasm:

I have no idea what you're going for. I've read many reactions today, some Real fans certain they'll smash us, some fearing a beating after their recent defensive issues. I'm certainly not getting bent out of shape over any Real fan saying "I think we'll go through" or make that out to be highly underrating Bayern. Because that would be similarly ridiculous.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
History has nothing to do with this.

I disagree. Good draw for both teams, and their fans should think they will go through. If you can't be optimistic about that type of draw for both sets of fans, when will you be optimistic? You want to avoid Barcelona, Real Madrid, Barcelona. You want Leicester, obviously, but other than that, any neutral would say Monaco and Dortmund are next, although besides Leicester, anyone could probably beat anyone over two legs.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have no idea what you're going for. I've read many reactions today, some Real fans certain they'll smash us, some fearing a beating after their recent defensive issues. I'm certainly not getting bent out of shape over any Real fan saying "I think we'll go through" or make that out to be highly underrating Bayern. Because that would be similarly ridiculous.

Bent out of shape?
Now who's ridiculous?
If a Real fan says they'll "smash" Bayern, they're underrating Bayern, period.
Same with the Monaco case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->