GWT: Champions League Round of 16 II

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bent out of shape?
Now who's ridiculous?
If a Real fan says they'll "smash" Bayern, they're underrating Bayern, period.
Same with the Monaco case.

Nobody has said BVB will smash Monaco...

Saying Dortmund will go through ("very nice draw") is underrating Monaco IMO.
It's a tough draw for Dortmund. Certainly not an easy one for Monaco either, but as I said, I believe they can beat anyone, including all the usual suspects.
History has nothing to do with this.

Saying "very nice draw" doesn't mean they think it'll be a cakewalk. It's a tough draw, but anyone other than Leicester would be a tough draw at this stage.

And BVB can beat anyone as well; especially if Reus is fit by these matches & Bartra continues settling in.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

Yes, those fans saying they'll "smash" Bayern probably are underrating Bayern. The "Monaco case" has a fan saying he thinks his team will go through. It's not really a comparable case. Which isn't all that tough to see. I'd agree with you had any BVB fan said they'll smash Monaco or comfortably go through. But none of that happened.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Evilo, I don't understand what the fuss is about. I think it's ok for Dortmund fans to be happy to get Monaco instead of Bayern, Juve, Real or Barca. On paper they have a better chance against Monaco than any of the top 4. I personally think Monaco will go through but it wouldn't be a huge shocker if Dortmund win.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nobody has said BVB will smash Monaco...

Saying "very nice draw" doesn't mean they think it'll be a cakewalk. It's a tough draw, but anyone other than Leicester would be a tough draw at this stage.

And BVB can beat anyone as well; especially if Reus is fit by these matches & Bartra continues settling in.

I used the word "smash" because Vipers used it about Real fans.
Very nice draw and we'll go through does seem like a whole lot of overconfidence to me. Especially since they're more likely not favourites (but have a decent chance to go through).

Evilo, I don't understand what the fuss is about. I think it's ok for Dortmund fans to be happy to get Monaco instead of Bayern, Juve, Real or Barca. On paper they have a better chance against Monaco than any of the top 4. I personally think Monaco will go through but it wouldn't be a huge shocker if Dortmund win.

No fuss here.
I said Monaco is underrated seeing the comment made. Vipers and co are making a fuss about my comment. (using words like "bent out of shape")
No idea why.
I agree with your post tbh.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Bent out of shape?
Now who's ridiculous?

Except he's not saying that they'll smash Monaco, he said he thinks Dortmund will go through. If he has said "I think Dortmund are gonna thrash Monaco over two legs", that would be underrating Monaco. But that's not what he said and your comparison is outta whack.

EDIT: did not see that there was a whole other page which already tackled this, my bad.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I USED VIPERS' WORD of SMASH.
Damn follow the conversation for god's sake !!!
He said he saw Real fans who think they'll smash Bayern.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Again, "Nice draw" is in a different paragraph. And it's still a better draw than Real, Barca, Bayern. He said "I think we'll go through". Calling that highly underrating Monaco is absurd. You're being ridiculous here.

This is the reality of being a fan of a team like Dortmund or Monaco. All the fans of the biggest clubs hope they draw you in the quarterfinals, and even if you pull off an upset, they will bet against you doing the same again in the semifinals and so on. I'm sure many Barca, Real, Bayern, and Juve fans would hope to face Dortmund in the semifinals rather than one of the others or Atletico if they should advance.

Anyway, it should be an interesting matchup. Dortmund have struggled a bit against teams that press high under Tuchel, as their buildup play in central defense and midfield isn't always safe and steady. Monaco presses high and is very capable of punishing those mistakes, but Dortmund's defense has been much better in the past few weeks than before at recovering when other teams try to counter them. Monaco's athleticism will be an entirely new challenge in that regard.

The other matchups are nice as well. Glad only one of Bayern and Real will make the semis for once, but I'm not sure what to expect. Bayern are coming into very good form so I'd favor them slightly. Juve-Barca is a very attractive matchup as well. I'll probably skip Atletico-Leicester.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I USED VIPERS' WORD of SMASH.
Damn follow the conversation for god's sake !!!
He said he saw Real fans who think they'll smash Bayern.

Yeah, you're just using them with a changed context than I did. Nobody knows why you feel like one fan saying he thinks his team will go through is underrating Monaco.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah, you're just using them with a changed context than I did. Nobody knows why you feel like one fan saying he thinks his team will go through is underrating Monaco.
Because he used the words "very nice draw" right before.

You seem to get bent out of shape with all of this... :facepalm:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Evilo, the English bookies have Dortmund as the favorite.

I acknowledged both sets of fans would probably have wanted to play each other, if they didn't play Leicester. Don't feel like a French club was slighted. There's no big favorite in this clash, either team could win, good draw for both teams.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
English bookies can kiss my ass. They said City was favourites, I said the contrary.
In fact, both instances show my point : Monaco continues to be underrated because almost nobody knew them before the season and L1 isn't watched a lot.
I drafted their players like crazy in the fantasy draft last summer because I knew how talented they were. I didn't expect them to be that dominant, because their coach had shown nothing but defensive play so far. He's unleashed the offense and they're the most productive team in Europe.
Some people try to say they'll slow down, that their rate isn't sustainable.
Well they haven't slowed down. They've just scored 6 on City in two games. And that's missing a penalty and without their star striker in the second leg.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jesus Christ. Talk about getting worked up over nothing :laugh:
The worst part is that I totally agree. My remark about Monaco being underrated wasn't meant to start a whole ****ing debate lol.
Them being underdogs per english bookies means there's really no other need for another proof.
Which is pretty good if you're a better or a Monaco fan/supporter.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
at the same time, the vast majority of people here have said they favour monaco to go through. either way i'm looking forward to the matchup, and the others as well

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Who I think will go through:

Monaco
Madrid
Atleti
Barça

Who I'd like to go through:

Dortmund
Bayern
Leicester City
Barça

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Juve vs Barca is going to be intriguing. Possibly the best defense in the world (Juve) against possibly the best front 3 (Barca) in the world.

I am fairly certain that the lineup for Juve will look like this:

Dybala-Higuain-Mandzukic

Pjanic
Marchisio-Khedira

Sandro-Chiellini-Bonucci-Alves

Buffon

Caramel

Feb 12, 2009
Real/Bayern 40/60
Barca/Juve 60/40
Monaco/Dortmund 60/40
Atletico/Leicester 65/35

Bold is who I think will advance

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The worst part is that I totally agree. My remark about Monaco being underrated wasn't meant to start a whole ****ing debate lol.
My remark about your remark being absurd wasn't meant to start anything, either, yet you kept going, including that BVB fan's seperate paragraph about a "nice draw", using my quote on other fans believing their team will "smash" another with no context, and a couple other things. You can agree all you want, it doesn't mean **** if you don't accept your responsibility for the debate over the starting point, which is you calling Monaco "highly underrated" over a BVB fan saying "I think we'll go through". Nobody is defending you on that. Nobody.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My remark about your remark being absurd wasn't meant to start anything, either, yet you kept going, including that BVB fan's seperate paragraph about a "nice draw", using my quote on other fans believing their team will "smash" another with no context, and a couple other things. You can agree all you want, it doesn't mean **** if you don't accept your responsibility for the debate over the starting point, which is you calling Monaco "highly underrated" over a BVB fan saying "I think we'll go through". Nobody is defending you on that. Nobody.

Yet you're the only one who said what I wrote was "ridiculous" and "absurd".
Nothing absurd in what I wrote, hence the english bookies argument. It was clear as say that the BVB fan used the "nice draw" to talk about his team. Only you has chosen to consider he wasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad