GWT: Champions League R16 Draw and Build-Up

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Nope, especially not when you consider the draws, protected for the bigger teams.
If you had random groups and City, Bayern, Real and Juve were in the same group while Bruges had Basaksahir, Rennes and Ferencvaros, your table would look a lot different.

Quite obvious really.
I really don't see what your point is, that grouping all of the strong teams together and all of the weak teams together would change the point results? Of course it would, but that wouldn't make those teams better it would just artificially inflate their point totals.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I really don't see what your point is, that grouping all of the strong teams together and all of the weak teams together would change the point results? Of course it would, but that wouldn't make those teams better it would just artificially inflate their point totals.
Nope, it would change your table, which is totally artifical since the top 4 leagues have more teams and are protected by the draws.
That whole table is artificial, and the whole CL concept is artifical. All meant to protect and favor the biggest teams from the biggest leagues.
Which means that no comparison between the teams without the same conditions is worth a damn.
Compare EPL with Liga if you want. Don't compare it to french, portugese, belgian or greek teams. It's beyond stupid.
So your top 4 and everyone else is simply off base.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As in most knockout competitions the top seeds end up with 'easier' draws. The table reflects that, sure, but that's to be expected. They still have to win the games, and were the 'best' teams all grouped together does that make it more 'fair'? If anything, outside of anomalous results, 2 legged knockouts would be extremely one sided (hell, sometimes they still are).

The landscape isn't fair, but this system is pretty common in knockout competitions in most professional (and amateur) sports. Nothing wrong with this table.

Reactions: Blender

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with Evilo, the distribution of spots really isn't fair at all.

There's no reason that Leverkusen should be forced to play in the EL when teams way below their level like Rennes & Lyon, got to play in the CL :sarcasm:

Next season they'll be in the Champions League if Gladbach doesn't start playing a little better.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
French teams are in a mess right now.
But come on, let's be honest. When are we going to do a ratio with the number of teams included?
Top 4 and then everyone else?
Well guess what, top 4 has more teams.
And that's not counting the draws, which protects the bigger clubs, etc...

---------

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Next season they'll be in the Champions League if Gladbach doesn't start playing a little better.

Gladbach have slumped every winter that I've been watching...aka since Favre's 1st full season. Eberl does a great job but he simply can't afford as much high-end depth as the big-spending CL regulars; y'all, Bayern, Leipzig & Bayer. So they tend to end up limping into the winter break, before making their push in the 2nd half of the season once they're healthy, refreshed & done with english weeks.

But yeah, if they played the way they did against Real moving forward, they'd end up in the relegation race.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gladbach have slumped every winter that I've been watching...aka since Favre's 1st full season. Eberl does a great job but he simply can't afford as much high-end depth as the big-spending CL regulars; y'all, Bayern, Leipzig & Bayer. So they tend to end up limping into the winter break, before making their push in the 2nd half of the season once they're healthy, refreshed & done with european weeks.

But yeah, if they played the way they did against Real moving forward, they'd end up in the relegation race.

You make some good points.

Leverkusen is going to need an 6+ point cushion, unless this current team is different than their past teams.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Gladbach have slumped every winter that I've been watching...aka since Favre's 1st full season. Eberl does a great job but he simply can't afford as much high-end depth as the big-spending CL regulars; y'all, Bayern, Leipzig & Bayer. So they tend to end up limping into the winter break, before making their push in the 2nd half of the season once they're healthy, refreshed & done with english weeks.

We've not slumped that much last season finishing(especially compared to those two seasons before under Hecking) with 30 points during the second half of the season, after those 35 during the first half.

There won't be any winter break(besides maybe a week) this season and we still have four games in 2020 while a guy like Zakaria's trying to come back and with Hofmann being out so far.

Though, so far there seems to be something missing, during league play, and I wouldn't be surprised if we finished somewhere between 5th - 9th this season.

If we play like we did against Real we'd probably have loads of trouble against most bottom feeders or even 2nd Bundesliga sides as this was aweful on Wednesday.

Still going through to the round of 16, in a group like we had, is a great achievement for us and a nice amount of money(9.5 mil Euros) on top of it.
That's great for us during times like these.

Now we'll face either PSG, Juventus, Citeh, Chelsea or Liverpool in the next round and I'm just going out on a limb saying we're probably not going to be favourites in that matchup. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad