GWT: Champions League R16 Draw and Build-Up

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I want Atletico.

Revenge for last year. Would rather face them in a 2 legged tie than potentially in a one off final or something along those lines (if we were to make it that far) anyway.
I honestly would rather play them in a one off, so they can’t sit on an away goal again. That’s when they are at their best.

Also they are better than they were last year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I want max carnage with every round. High scores, red cards, underdogs,; bring me all the drama a neutral would want!

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
D89CA020-8E62-4394-A189-FD076BCA6F46.jpeg

Reactions: Blender

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Russian teams were pathetic. France didn't do too hot either PSG notwithstanding.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
French teams are in a mess right now.
But come on, let's be honest. When are we going to do a ratio with the number of teams included?
Top 4 and then everyone else?
Well guess what, top 4 has more teams.
And that's not counting the draws, which protects the bigger clubs, etc...

Everything in the CL is made for the top 4 leagues teams.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
French teams are in a mess right now.
But come on, let's be honest. When are we going to do a ratio with the number of teams included?
Top 4 and then everyone else?
Well guess what, top 4 has more teams.
And that's not counting the draws, which protects the bigger clubs, etc...

Everything in the CL is made for the top 4 leagues teams.
Marseilles and Rennes got absolutely blown away, even compared with some teams from lesser leagues. PSG is good of course, but 1 less team is not why L1 had 26 fewer points, it's because those other two teams were awful.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree with Evilo, the distribution of spots really isn't fair at all.

There's no reason that Leverkusen should be forced to play in the EL when teams way below their level like Rennes & Lyon, got to play in the CL :sarcasm:

Reactions: YNWA14

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
You would probably beat PSG aswell. If Koeman is sacked, you could beat anyone.

I wish. PSG scores 5 over both legs, maybe more.

As I said, only Chelsea and Dortmund I think we could have a fair chance of beating. Madrid and Juve too but we can't draw them, can we?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Marseilles and Rennes got absolutely blown away, even compared with some teams from lesser leagues. PSG is good of course, but 1 less team is not why L1 had 26 fewer points, it's because those other two teams were awful.
:facepalm:
I WROTE french teams were bad this year (and are bad in the league as well). This has nothing to do with the french teams.
It has to do with comparing without context. For instance, the belgium team did fine even though they had fewer teams and a bad draw.
The CL is made for the top 4 leagues so saying it's top 4 and nothing else shows the stat analysis skills of a... well I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Lambo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I agree with Evilo, the distribution of spots really isn't fair at all.

There's no reason that Leverkusen should be forced to play in the EL when teams way below their level like Rennes & Lyon, got to play in the CL :sarcasm:
True and even worse, Lyon is without european competition while better than any german team save Bayern :sarcasm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
True and even worse, Lyon is without european competition while better than any german team save Bayern :sarcasm:

Lyon / Marseille, does it really matter which one got bounced at the group stages? :sarcasm:

...and no I totally didn't spazz on Lyon not playing in europe this season in my rush to post my previous joke...totally...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
:facepalm:
I WROTE french teams were bad this year (and are bad in the league as well). This has nothing to do with the french teams.
It has to do with comparing without context. For instance, the belgium team did fine even though they had fewer teams and a bad draw.
The CL is made for the top 4 leagues so saying it's top 4 and nothing else shows the stat analysis skills of a... well I'll leave it at that.
Who said "nothing else"? Nobody that I have seen. It's clear that the teams from the top 4 leagues performed at a much higher level on average than any number of teams from other leagues, even when accounting for the number of teams involved.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lyon / Marseille, does it really matter which one got bounced at the group stages? :sarcasm:

...and no I totally didn't spazz on Lyon not playing in europe this season in my rush to post my previous joke...totally...
Can't remember if Lyon was in the last semis :sarcasm:

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Who said "nothing else"? Nobody that I have seen. It's clear that the teams from the top 4 leagues performed at a much higher level on average than any number of teams from other leagues, even when accounting for the number of teams involved.
Nope, especially not when you consider the draws, protected for the bigger teams.
If you had random groups and City, Bayern, Real and Juve were in the same group while Bruges had Basaksahir, Rennes and Ferencvaros, your table would look a lot different.

Quite obvious really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad