Dec 2, 2009
I'm happy with this.

upload_2020-12-9_17-31-25.png

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Mentioned this a while ago but as a Liverpool fan, I want to play someone new, or at least someone that they haven’t played in a while. Fresh matchups especially in early knock out round are more fun to me. With that in mind my preferred would be (alphabetically) Lazio, Monchengladbach or RB Leipzig. The only team I don’t want to play is Atletico for obvious reasons and because they are the same team I don’t want to play every year.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Exactly the only team for LFC I would not want to face is Atletico. Somehow, I expect to draw them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t think they get them, but yeah, no Atletico. Not only do they know how to get through, I don’t want to play their type of match.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Dortmund and Chelsea are the ones I would like to draw and have a chance of doing something. With the rest I think we get wrecked, hell probably Chelsea and Dortmund beat us too

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dortmund and Chelsea are the ones I would like to draw and have a chance of doing something. With the rest I think we get wrecked, hell probably Chelsea and Dortmund beat us too
Chelski probably beats barca (although we have a slight chance) if Sackman is fired before then which im like 70/30 on. Dortmund we should still beat but nothing is guaranteed. The rest and its a massacre.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the group winners are a lot stronger than the runners up this season. The quarterfinals are probably where it gets bloody.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I personally got a lot of interesting matches ups...

Lazio vs Chelsea
Atletico vs BVB
Barcelona vs Man City
Porto vs Real Madrid
Leipzig vs Liverpool
Atalanta vs PSG
Monchengladbach vs Juve
Sevilla vs Bayern

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t mind. We should beat any team. I guess the best draw is probably Porto because they are the weakest, but I think we should be beating any of these teams. Two best we could face are probably Atletico and Barca. If I was pressed for one I wouldn’t want to face, Atletico, but we won a group against them Favre’s first season. I also think a watered down La Liga is making them look better than they are. I haven’t liked their play in the UCL this season. They probably even deserved to go out today, but they got a typical type of Atletico win where they are outplayed and find a few goals against the run of play.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rooting for Gladbach to get Juve. Not all that worried about Bayern, Leipzig...especially since Salzburg's CL exit means they could be adding Szoboszlai before the knockouts...or Dortmund's draws as they should have a good chance at advancing no matter whom they get (though Nagelsmann v Pep 2021 would be particularly interesting to see).

But after playing their worst game of the season today, I'm starting to worry that Gladbach will still be in the annual winter-slump that they seem to be drifting into, when the first leg rolls around...so I'm hoping they get some love from the ping pong balls.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Leipzig should be worried.

PSG will get Atletico or Sevilla most likely.

*shrug* They're at a point where they can beat anyone over two legs if they are playing well and their style matches up just as well against the favorites as it does against the weaker group winners that they could draw.

So it doesn't really matter who they get, unless its Juve...but I already want them for BMG :laugh:

E:
FWIW I think the specific matchup matters more for Dortmund than Leipzig cause Leipzig are more variable & aren't as vulnerable to injuries. Leipzig's depth has been playing a lot better than Dortmund's has this season, and they don't depend on any single starter as much as BVB depends on their top stars.

Case in point: Laimer is RBL's most "irreplaceable player" and despite him having yet to play this season, they've been rolling since adjusting to life-after-Timo. Dortmund, on the otherhand, haven't even been half the team that they were before their Norwegian goal machine broke down.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
There isn't a weak group winner except maybe Juve.
Leipzig is not favourite in any matchup in my book.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There isn't a weak group winner except maybe Juve.
Leipzig is not favourite in any matchup in my book.

Never said they were. Just that they'd have a realistic chance of advancing.

They could easily go out in the round of 16...but they could also better last season's run and I wouldn't be shocked either way :dunno:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well you said you weren't worried for Leipzig :D
Sure they can beat anyone, but they'll be the underdogs. Juve might be 50/50.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well you said you weren't worried for Leipzig :D
Sure they can beat anyone, but they'll be the underdogs. Juve might be 50/50.

...and I'm not really worried about the draw for Leipzig because it doesn't really matter. They'll be underdogs with a good shot of pulling the upset if they are playing well, regardless of their opponent...unless its Juve, whom I want Gladbach to get :laugh:

*insert "it's got electrolytes" gif here*

EDIT:
OT but I'd say that Athletico and Real are also weaker winners that they could draw...not as weak as Juve but not as strong as City / Liverpool either...Athletico is certainly a tough stylistic matchup for some teams (like BVB & LFC), but Leipzig & Bayern don't have nearly as much trouble with teams who play the way Simeone's men do.

Kinda wanna include Chelsea here too because I think they have been a bit of a paper tiger so far; at least in comparison to their results so far and Liverpool/City. But they do have the talent in place to re-join the big boys in time...I'm just skeptical about Lampard being the one to get them there & feel like they haven't yet figured themselves out after the big talent influx over the summer.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You would probably beat PSG aswell. If Koeman is sacked, you could beat anyone.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Okay so I updated the top with a probability table. These are not my numbers but they are the numbers that I have seen.

Most Likely Matchup(s) would be: (basing this on if this is all being drawn out of the hat at the same time)
  • Real Madrid - RB Leipzig
  • Juventus - Monchengladbach
  • Dortmund - Atletico
  • Bayern - Barcelona
The other four are kind of negligible with a slight lean to:
  • PSG - Lazio
  • Chelsea - Atalanta
  • Man City - Sevilla
  • Liverpool - Porto
If the numbers are wrong sorry, but deal with it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I want Atletico.

Revenge for last year. Would rather face them in a 2 legged tie than potentially in a one off final or something along those lines (if we were to make it that far) anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad