Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
CgFHcSdUEAA9GJv.jpg

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
So based on that they should get special consideration for matchdays even though according to you Bayern are in the same predicament?

No of course not. It's the 'luck' of the draw. I'm just inferring I would've preferred Atletico got Man City or Real (in which case the schedule doesn't matter as much because those are less possession-oriented teams) or Bayern with 8 days in between the two legs. The current scheduling favours Bayern whereas the alternative would have favoured Atletico.

That said I shouldn't complain.... I mean they did get lucky with 8 days in between the 2 games in the Barca tie.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So based on that they should get special consideration for matchdays even though according to you Bayern are in the same predicament?

My god you are always looking for an argument. Where did he even imply this? lol

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
No of course not. It's the 'luck' of the draw. I'm just inferring I would've preferred Atletico got Man City or Real (in which case the schedule doesn't matter as much because those are less possession-oriented teams) or Bayern with 8 days in between the two legs. The current scheduling favours Bayern whereas the alternative would have favoured Atletico.

That said I shouldn't complain.... I mean they did get lucky with 8 days in between the 2 games in the Barca tie.

You weren't inferring anything much less "luck of the draw." You said UEFA don't want Atleti in the Finals because they only have 6 days between the two legs which according to you Bayern also get. If it's the same for both sides then there's nothing to say about UEFA regardless of Atleti's tactics which are their own decision.

My god you are always looking for an argument. Where did he even imply this? lol

So every time someone disagrees with someone else they're looking for an argument? LOL, OK. Rich coming from you.

Read above. Plain as day he said UEFA don't want Atleti in the Final in part due to their not having more days between matches despite Bayern having the same. So yeah, he's basically saying what you quoted.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
You weren't inferring anything much less "luck of the draw." You said UEFA don't want Atleti in the Finals because they only have 6 days between the two legs which according to you Bayern also get. If it's the same for both sides then there's nothing to say about UEFA regardless of Atleti's tactics which are their own decision.

Yes the schedule is the same for both sides. But the context (second leg 6 days after the first, second leg at home, etc.) favours Bayern.

It's like the NHL playoffs. If two teams play each other on consecutive nights it's entirely possible that the lack of recovery time will hurt one team more than the other for various reasons (i.e. if one team is much older, etc.).

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes the schedule is the same for both sides. But the context (second leg 6 days after the first, second leg at home, etc.) favours Bayern.

It's like the NHL playoffs. If two teams play each other on consecutive nights it's entirely possible that the lack of recovery time will hurt one team more than the other for various reasons (i.e. if one team is much older, etc.).

The fact that the second leg away favors Bayern is one thing, the amount days between is another. The fact that they both have six days between matches, which according to you is the same for both sides, does not mean UEFA doesn't want Atleti in the Final. Whether or not the second leg being away for them does may, but then that would be saying that the draw was rigged against Atleti.

Yeah, and that doesn't mean that the NHL doesn't want one team to win as opposed to the other, which is what you said. It's not the NHL's fault that one team is much older than the other and it's not UEFA's fault that Atleti play the way they do.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I like Sampaoli a lot as well. But was a big Simeone fan as a player, and as a coach he's able to translates his passion to his players. Atletico have quite few amazing offensive players but on paper their team should be no where near Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Yup, they shouldn't be able to compete head to head but against lesser teams they play the same way. Struggle to create offence at times.

I wasn't even really thinking about Sampaoli, you could even make an argument that pocho might be a better coach. Although, I haven't seen enough from him to make that claim.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
The fact that the second leg away favors Bayern is one thing, the amount days between is another. The fact that they both have six days between matches, which according to you is the same for both sides, does not mean UEFA doesn't want Atleti in the Final. Whether or not the second leg being away for them does may, but then that would be saying that the draw was rigged against Atleti.

Yeah, and that doesn't mean that the NHL doesn't want one team to win as opposed to the other, which is what you said. It's not the NHL's fault that one team is much older than the other and it's not UEFA's fault that Atleti play the way they do.

I actually agree with a lot of the things you said, but I'm getting confused as to what you are arguing about. My positions are pretty simple and can be divided as follows:

1) Home second leg favours Bayern

2) Only 6 days between the two legs favours Bayern (not either team's fault)

3) Atletico (and by extension Bayern) got the more difficult draw

4) Points 1), 2) and 3) imply that UEFA does not want Atletico to be in the final (or to state it in relative terms, they would prefer both Real and Bayern more).

I stand by points 1) 2) and 3) whereas you may disagree with 2). Point 4) is.... a HUGE stretch because it insinuates draw/schedule rigging. If you disagree with it that's fine. I'm not even sure I believe it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I actually agree with a lot of the things you said, but I'm getting confused as to what you are arguing about. My positions are pretty simple and can be divided as follows:

1) Home second leg favours Bayern

2) Only 6 days between the two legs favours Bayern (not either team's fault)

3) Atletico (and by extension Bayern) got the more difficult draw

4) Points 1), 2) and 3) imply that UEFA does not want Atletico to be in the final (or to state it in relative terms, they would prefer both Real and Bayern more).

I stand by points 1) 2) and 3) whereas you may disagree with 2). Point 4) is.... a HUGE stretch because it insinuates draw/schedule rigging. If you disagree with it that's fine. I'm not even sure I believe it.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but the point I was making regards 2). What you initially implied is that 2) is a result of 4) and I think that's ridiculous.

I agree that Bayern is a tough draw, but apart from getting City (and that depends on who you ask around here, but I think it's pretty obvious) they were going to get a tough draw. The only side that didn't get a tough draw this round was Madrid.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not only did Real get City, they got the return leg at home.

Amazing. And we all called it too. :laugh:

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Real isn't even that good, I won't be surprised if City beats them and goes to the Final.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

Those haters tears are delicious :laugh:

yeah it's not like Madrid drew Barcelona, BVB , Bayern twice and Juventus in the semis during the last few years........

And who knows,maybe City will beat us

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

yeah it's not like Madrid drew Barcelona, BVB , Bayern twice and Juventus in the semis during the last few years........

And who knows,maybe City will beat us
Come on, we all went through it already, Real always gets the best draw. 90% of the time.
And as I said, we even called it.
Even some Real fans here (JS?) laughed about it and said he was sure they'd get City. And he said it BEFORE the draw, like we all did.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Come on, we all went through it already, Real always gets the best draw. 90% of the time.
And as I said, we even called it.
Even some Real fans here (JS?) laughed about it and said he was sure they'd get City. And he said it BEFORE the draw, like we all did.
Based on the previous semis, your math us correct :laugh:

:sarcasm:

By the way who did PSG lose to in the previous round?

The easy draw team?

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

Return leg at the Bernabeu in all 3 of their ties this season, no? That's some kind of luck lol, considering the draws as well.

Now City may very well upset Real here, since RM isn't exactly playing great football. But the lucky draws is noteworthy to mention.

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Yep. And BTW, City got the easiest draw as well.
But in both cases, the home game first.
Ramos and Pepe got away with a lot of mistakes against VFL, they won't be as lucky vs the likes of Aguero and KDB

I won't be mad if City wins the whole thing

Pellegrini was treated like **** by both Madrid (I know) and City

Very likable coach tbh

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Real isn't even that good, I won't be surprised if City beats them and goes to the Final.

Yes, they are. I personally consider Madrid favorites at this point simply down to Bayern's performance against them a couple of years back. That for me wasn't a true reflection of the teams compared to one another and Bayern have added a player I think could be key if they meet again, but tough to bet against Madrid at this point.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Yes, they are. I personally consider Madrid favorites at this point simply down to Bayern's performance against them a couple of years back. That for me wasn't a true reflection of the teams compared to one another and Bayern have added a player I think could be key if they meet again, but tough to bet against Madrid at this point.
i'm still worried about about Ramos-Pepe; this pairing was lucky that VFL missed oppoturnites, the kind of chances players like Aguero, Lewa or Muller won't miss

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
i'm still worried about about Ramos-Pepe; this pairing was lucky that VFL missed oppoturnites, the kind of chances players like Aguero, Lewa or Muller won't miss

Besides Athletico, all the defenses look shaky as well. Alaba/Benatia have been brutal the past two rounds. But I guess things will be a bit more stable when/if Boateng gets healthy. But as long as Pep keeps his man crush on Alonso, any of the remaining teams can easily carve them up.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hard to see a team that has given up more than 2 goals just once this season being easily carved up by Atletico, Xabi or not. Maybe Pep will trust Kimmich to play in Xabi's place when Boateng comes back now that Kimmich has played well in several important matches. Boateng could replace Xabi's role in distributing the ball to the wings and move more into midfield with the ball, interchanging with Kimmich. With Robben potentially back in the mix as well, Bayern could be a lot better next round. They could still play well with Xabi in the starting lineup, but not as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Weird I see Atletico as winners against Bayern. They know how to deal with those possession teams and Bayern's defense hurts the eye.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC

I guess this is your way of agreeing that this year Real's had the easiest route through (i.e., by justifying it).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

They are the best team on paper, and should be the best team, but they haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire. I won't be surprised at all if City knocks them out. Real isn't getting away with the level of play they had against Wolfsburg in this round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad