GWT: Champions League Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Haven't had the opportunity to comment on this match but that should've CLEARLY been a penalty in the dying moments of the match for Barca. Regardless, of what happened earlier. If it were the other way around people would have gone ape ****. Typical double standards. However, the right team won and I hope they go all the way(or Munich).

Barca are dusted they can't run anymore, Enrique falling the same trap as Carlos with Real Madrid. It's too bad Vidal got injured could have used him last couple of weeks. Turan is a complete fraud, shouldn't have touched this guy. It's a good they built themselves that cushion in La liga...they'll drop more points but as will Madrids. Gotta rest Messi on the weekend and make a final push. Even if you drop points against Valencia, it's not the end of the world but you can't completely run MSN to the ground.

It proves that Argentina is a good team and that Messi doing nothing for them is all on him. What like 10 games without open play goals...

And I repeat for younger folks here, usually in history almost all great players were great or very good for both club AND country.

Spoken truly like a guy who doesn't watch Argentina more than One game every 4 years. The idea of dropping Messi absurd, given he's their most consistent player and at times the only one to show up, name 1 player who can provide what Messi offers Argentina, on a consistent level? Kun, he's hit or miss and is injured or playing injured most of the time, ADM has million dollar talent but a 0.2 cent brain, can take games over but most of the time nonexistent, Dybala's time will come, being paired up with Messi would be ideal. Who else Correa too young, Pipita? Crapacio?:laugh::laugh:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Diego Simeone best coach in the world. What a guy.

If the Liga slips away from Barca too then I don't see how Lucho survives.

I have my doubts if he's even the best Argentinean coach. Guy still can't open up despite many offensive players.

He'll survive, I would imagine even though I'm not a big fan of his.It would not be right to fire him, no matter what happens to end the year.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
While this is all of course impossible, and while about ten minutes of highlights last night are nothing to base any sort of worthwhile upon, there's something compelling about this Atletico team that Simeone's crafted. I should hate all of it. An assortment of undoubtedly skilled players who turn into cloggers whenever necessary. Who harangue referees at every opportunity. Who react to any perceived infringement from the opposition with hysteria bordering on the absurd, typified best in Godin's reaction to Suarez's arm in his face. A pretty nasty looking eye, yes, but he's a big boy. No need for the lying prostrate on the ground kicking your legs. A manager who looks like a cross between a pitbull and a low-level mafia associate who partakes in all of the above all while waving his arms around at the crowd, who're in an awful stadium with two corners missing a mile away from the pitch, and who play Seven Nation ****ing Army after goals. Yet you watch the fans, you watch this team that doesn't stop, knows exactly what it's doing and does it with an application and a determination which I've never seen in any predominately attack-minded team... it's remarkable. I'm very hesitant to call it intoxicating, but what a thrill it must be to witness. A shame it's all bad and wrong and should be criticised at every opportunity.

Not to discount the rest of your post, but googling "footballtarget" might help you out.

Any perceived sarcasm on my end aside, I think there's a lot to like about Atleti. Working class club. Stadium has a lot of charm and it's not an easy away ground. Plenty of homegrown players. Working on a budget that a lot of their later stage CL opponents don't have to, though it helps when dipsticks like our management team go after the likes of Arda Turan. Great work ethic in the team who defend fantastically. Manager who was a very good player for them and who knows the club. "Underdogs" to an extent, though I think that's way overblown. Supporters like the legendary Torrente. And they're called the "mattress men" for ****'s sake. The problem I have, and this is coming from someone who feels the same at times about some of his players, is a lot of what you cited when it comes to the theatrics and dirty play from a lot of their players and from Simeone himself (who is no Johnny Cash). Not to shed any crocodile tears for Madrid, but I've even seen them get kicked around by Atleti for example. It's entirely unnecessary and really ruins or should ruin any romantic ideas about them. That's not to mention I think they should attack much more than they do. To each their own of course. That said they're great for the league as a whole and it too entirely too long for them to get back there.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Ick, probably the combos I wanted least and could easily lid to an all-Madrid final which I also think would be the worst. I mean, Bayern will be odds favourites, but Atleti could just as easily knock them off. Real theoretically shouldn't have too much trouble with City, but PSG shouldn't have either, really depends who shows up.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Ick, probably the combos I wanted least and could easily lid to an all-Madrid final which I also think would be the worst. I mean, Bayern will be odds favourites, but Atleti could just as easily knock them off. Real theoretically shouldn't have too much trouble with City, but PSG shouldn't have either, really depends who shows up.

Honestly, I want TWO all-Spanish finals (CL and EL). Proud La Liga homer :nod:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yep, so surprising that Real gets City.... :laugh:

These things are rigged. It's fine.

I talked to a professional player for a European team and he and his team mates surely thought so at least.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Bayern-Atletico will be interesting. Atletico definitely played better in this round than Bayern did, but that could easily change if Boateng and Robben come back.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I have my doubts if he's even the best Argentinean coach. Guy still can't open up despite many offensive players.

He'll survive, I would imagine even though I'm not a big fan of his.It would not be right to fire him, no matter what happens to end the year.

I like Sampaoli a lot as well. But was a big Simeone fan as a player, and as a coach he's able to translates his passion to his players. Atletico have quite few amazing offensive players but on paper their team should be no where near Real Madrid and Barcelona.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So much disrespect to City lol

But anyway the draw is fine. We saw Madrid/Bayern fairly recently and it didn't go well for Bayern, and Atletico/Real already play all the time and were very unlikely to be drawn together.

These match-ups are good. Real/Bayern would be the expected final which gives Real a decent chance at winning the CL, and there's also the potential for upset in both draws.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to see a City/Bayern final which would be really interesting for the managerial storyline. It's also not an unwinnable tie for City which would be incredibly funny.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I actually thought Madrid were going to draw Liverpool this round.

City aren't going to make the Final and regardless of who they drew Madrid had a great chance of winning it.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
UEFA really don't want Atletico Madrid in the finals again do they? Not only do they get the worst draw, they have to play the second leg away and they get only 6 days in between the 2 legs, and that's not even including their La Liga tilt in between. Of course Bayern have the same predicament, but Atletico's style requires going all out and thus the schedule is more problematic for them IMO.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
UEFA really don't want Atletico Madrid in the finals again do they? Not only do they get the worst draw, they have to play the second leg away and they get only 6 days in between the 2 legs, and that's not even including their La Liga tilt in between. Of course Bayern have the same predicament, but Atletico's style requires going all out and thus the schedule is more problematic for them IMO.

:laugh:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
?? Collectively Atletico players cover much more ground than Bayern players on average because Bayern play a much more possession-based game.

So based on that they should get special consideration for matchdays even though according to you Bayern are in the same predicament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad