GWT: Champions League - Matchweek 5

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Barcelona's defense just fell asleep. Not that it matters but come on.

Spursfan friend texts me saying they got robbed. I'm not watching. Did they get robbed?
Kinda. Kane put the ball in but he was offside. It was just close. The reason people might get confused is that Kane was behind the foremost body part of Emerson, but he headed the ball and Kane was ahead of the ball (and obviously all defenders)

Reactions: Rob

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Meh. The team has clearly improved under Xavi and this group stage has been “unkind” to say the least, but they still need to be better. Need to stick to the formation and tactics, improve the tactics, intensity and physicality and get the selection right.

He wasn‘t horrible and prior to this he’s done some things well, but I still can’t understand the Raphinha signing. I was against it from the start as I was Kessie. I keep reading what a beast Kessie is in training, but I’ve yet to see anything remotely resembling that on the pitch. Didn’t need Alonso either. I said it the Summer and I’ll say it again, i’t s right to support Xavi, but that doesn’t mean you give him everything he wants.

Still a lot to play for this season and they’re doing really well in the league, but they now need to be competitive on all fronts and Xavi needs to raise the level.

People have been bashing Nunez for missing some easy chances but we can't create anything when he's not on the pitch.

He's also now close to a goal per 90. Can't say that he's a steal given the price but I wouldn't undo the transfer and have no regrets about it that's for sure.

Well I know I don’t have to tell you that it’s an investment at that price. I’m just curious if Mane had stayed and they still brought him in how the season would be going.

Barcelona's defense just fell asleep. Not that it matters but come on.

My initial thought as well, but seeing the replay looked like they were trying to play him offside.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well I know I don’t have to tell you that it’s an investment at that price. I’m just curious if Mane had stayed and they still brought him in how the season would be going.
Missing Mane is not the problem. Mane was replaced by Luis Diaz and until his injury Diaz was no worse than LFC’s second best outfield player this season; and you can make the argument that he had been better than Salah. I don’t think there are many games (that Diaz played) where Mane wins if he is there instead. The issue is the midfield is crocked. They can’t run anymore so Liverpool can’t cope with these teams going at them.

The Mane thing is kind of boring to me. Here is an interesting one though: What if Liverpool had signed Bruno G. last January instead of Diaz? That’s a fun sliding doors moment because completely different players and responsibilities. It’s hard to say LFC is better off, especially last season, but maybe they are? That’s one I would be curious about crowd sourcing

Reactions: Rob

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Missing Mane is not the problem. Mane was replaced by Luis Diaz and until his injury Diaz was no worse than LFC’s second best outfield player this season; and you can make the argument that he had been better than Salah. I don’t think there are many games (that Diaz played) where Mane wins if he is there instead. The issue is the midfield is crocked. They can’t run anymore so Liverpool can’t cope with these teams going at them.

The Mane thing is kind of boring to me. Here is an interesting one though: What if Liverpool had signed Bruno G. last January instead of Diaz? That’s a fun sliding doors moment because completely different players and responsibilities. It’s hard to say LFC is better off, especially last season, but maybe they are? That’s one I would be curious about crowd sourcing

Clearly midfield is the biggest issue and I never said Mane is the problem, but Mane still provides competition and depth up front which I would say helps. Not that they’re playing bad, but who of the forward players has been firing on all cylinders?

As of right now I think it’s hard to say do it differently considering the scenario you’ve put forward. That said, the question you all know still remains. Why not spend the money and bring in a quality midfielder? I can only imagine it’s because you either don’t want to invest in the team or if you can’t get your man (Tchouameni) you’re not going to settle.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
At least Liverpool didn't pull a Dortmund over the summer.

Could've spent:
Mohamed Camara - 15M transfer fee + 10M over 5years (2Mper) in wages
or
Boubacar Kamara - 0M transfer fee + 45M over 5years (9Mper) in wages

Actually spent:
Sebastien Haller - 30M transfer fee + 44M over 4years (11Mper) in wages
Anthony Modeste - 5M transfer fee + 6M over 1year (6Mper) in wages
Salih Ozcan - 5M transfer fee + 20M over 4years (5Mper) in wages

Even if you love Ozcan and argue he was a steal; they could've afforded Ozcan & Camara/Kamara.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Clearly midfield is the biggest issue and I never said Mane is the problem, but Mane still provides competition and depth up front which I would say helps. Not that they’re playing bad, but who of the forward players has been firing on all cylinders?

As of right now I think it’s hard to say do it differently considering the scenario you’ve put forward. That said, the question you all know still remains. Why not spend the money and bring in a quality midfielder? I can only imagine it’s because you either don’t want to invest in the team or if you can’t get your man (Tchouameni) you’re not going to settle.
Up front hasn’t been the problem though. It’s injuries and getting them the ball. Salah more of a playmaker this year because someone has to do it.

regarding bringing a midfielder in, you are preaching to the choir. I’ve been over this a lot but to sum it up, LFC are picky about their targets (which is good) but are very arrogant about it (which is bad). because waiting for preferred targets has worked out for them before, they feel they can wait for targets now, and would rather kick the can than just add any guy. This has come back to bite them tremendously this year with Milner, Henderson and Fabinho cratering and the Jones/Elliott/Carvalho group being too young. Also the lack of availability from Thiago, Keita and Chamberlain (for various reasons) has not helped. So you can see the argument that LFC had depth, but it’s bad/underperforming depth. The theory is they were waiting for Bellingham, but that looks less likely by the day, especially if they don’t have UCL next year. So yeah. They need to up level their midfield badly but the question is going to be are they able to do it

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

What a brutal way to go out.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Seeing Simeone's Atletico fail is always nice to see.

Terrible CL for La Liga teams this season.

Indeed, it is very rare to see three Spanish teams come out in the group as if they were any French (non-Arab) team. Certainly the Europa League will be very difficult now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Carrasco LOL.

Imagine taking a poor penalty, having it saved, and then blocking your own teammate’s follow up shot at the net.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad