GWT: Champions League Final Build-Up and GDT

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
CHELSEA!!!!! Rudiger should throw on some skates, he would be a great enforcer. Kanté is an unbelievable footballer. Just ridiculous.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
City should give the ball to Mahrez every single time with Chilwell looking shaky and Rudiger on a yellow.

This is something I didn't get. City was trying too much to attack on the left flank. I'd much rather play as an attacker against Chillwell and Rudiger than against James and Azpi, especially with their form tonight.

Didn’t mind him taking out Bernardo. Had zero positive impact in the game.

Yup, probably the most invisible player on City today.

Jorginho acting like his knee got hacked off and then magically back on his feet 4 seconds later once the foul isn't called :laugh:

Dude, I had that happen to me once while playing, went full speed and the ball got caught between me and the other guy and as I was around 63kg that time I flew in the air just like Jorginho. I thought my whole body was broken, that can be scary. Nothing happened but it took me a bit more than 4 seconds to get back into play.

I think Mendy has set the record for clean sheets in a CL campaign

Also disproved the casual racist mantra that you can't win with a black goalie! Good for him, crazy to think he nearly quit football 7 years ago!
Imagine anything like this happening if they stick it out with Kepa as #1? Lol.

Yeah, didn't get why HE was prancing around like a goat after the final whistle. Chaval, they won in spite of you being there, not thanks to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Peen

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Why did Guardiola no play Rodri/Fernandinho and leave De Bruyne in a free role in an attempt to evade Kante, as he'd interchange positions with Bernardo and Foden up front?

It worked for them all season, why change today?

Also Sterling in a big game for the first time in months....why? Foden was playing incredibly well out on the left, linking well with De Bruyne/Bernardo in the false 9 and Mahrez on the opposite wing.

Reactions: Power Man

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Kante is great, but I don't see how he is better than Patrick Vieira was. I think he's on par with Vieira (though Vieira was physically stronger).

Kante is an incredible player, but the hyperbolic statements coming out at the moment are a little ridiculous. To be expected I guess when said player has just won a cup final. A few years time, let's revisit when the hype has died down.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Evilo probably punching walls seeing his team's ex-manager pretty show himself as a top tier manager that PSG couldn't play under him. Pathetic if you're a Parisian tonight.

Pep is an absolute fraud...playing no strikers and anticipating all the goals to come from the wingers just to be caught in Tuchel's back five trap. Unbelievably terrible managing from him today, but their CBs let them down in a big way. They've been so strong for the entire season and they were so shaky that it was tough to watch and deserved to be scored on from that brutal mistake. Give Chelsea credit though, they've beaten Citeh three times in a row and have two CL's even if one of them was a fluke. They hire and fire way too much for me, but they don't stand for mediocrity and I have to respect that. The ref was extremely good today as well.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just in France two players can claim to the title of best defensive midfielder ever over Kante and I love Kante.
Vieira was a monster and his winning cabinet is impressive.
Deschamps was a master tactician and his trophy cabinet is arguably the best ever.
Then from other nations you have guys like Busquets, Mattheus (though he didn't play defensive all his career), etc...

Reactions: AB13

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
@Evilo probably punching walls seeing his team's ex-manager pretty show himself as a top tier manager that PSG couldn't play under him. Pathetic if you're a Parisian tonight.

Pep is an absolute fraud...playing no strikers and anticipating all the goals to come from the wingers just to be caught in Tuchel's back five trap. Unbelievably terrible managing from him today, but their CBs let them in a big way. They've been so strong for the entire season and they were so shaky that it was tough to watch and deserved to be scored on from that brutal mistake. Give Chelsea credit though, they've beat Citeh three times in a row and have two CL's even if one of them was a fluke. They hire and fire way too much for me, but they don't stand for mediocrity and I have to respect that. The ref was extremely good today as well.
Haha you're lol.
First PSG is not my team. I pull for every French club.
Two Tuchel was fired for the right reasons. Good he won with Chelsea but his lack of any offensive structure is a big problem when your team is made of offensive weapons like PSG.
In fact in last year's final it was the D that put PSG in the final. With some offensive structure PSG light have beaten Bayern in the final.
Just like last year, Tuchel made his team defend well and enjoy the easiest route to the final.
Difference is that in the final, Pep once again outdid himself.
So no I don't care about Tuchel and am happy for several players like Kante or Mendy and especially Silva who has been massively underrated on this board even though he's always been a top 3 CB for a decade, much superior to guys like Ramos. But he is quiet and he plays quiet.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Haha you're lol.
First PSG is not my team. I pull for every French club.
Two Tuchel was fired for the right reasons. Good he won with Chelsea but his lack of any offensive structure is a big problem when your team is made of offensive weapons like PSG.
In fact in last year's final it was the D that put PSG in the final. With some offensive structure PSG light have beaten Bayern in the final.
Just like last year, Tuchel made his team defend well and enjoy the easiest route to the final.
Difference is that in the final, Pep once again outdid himself.
So no I don't care about Tuchel and am happy for several players like Kante or Mendy and especially Silva who has been massively underrated on this board even though he's always been a top 3 CB for a decade, much superior to guys like Ramos. But he is quiet and he plays quiet.
Easiest route to the final? Which of the final four teams had a harder set of 3 matches by a considerable margin?

Chelsea had Atletico, Porto (best opponent we played by performance), and Madrid.

The only final four team with a harder path was PSG, but Chelsea beat City three times under Tuchel and would have undoubtedly killed Barcelona.

They didn’t have to face Bayern but can you say with certainty that PSG beats Atletico? I can’t.

I don’t think this was an easy ride and Chelsea were underdogs according to a majority of people in three of the four knockout stages.

Reactions: Blender

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Let's be serious.
Atlético was bad this year, Porto was a little team at that stage and Real was awful.
The other side of the draw had BVB, PSG, Bayern and City.

That doesn't mean Chelsea doesn't deserve it.
But just like last year when PSG had BVB, Atalanta and Leipzig, 3 good teams but not comparable to the other side of the draw.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just in France two players can claim to the title of best defensive midfielder ever over Kante and I love Kante.
Deschamps was a master tactician and his trophy cabinet is arguably the best ever.
Then from other nations you have guys like Busquets, Mattheus (though he didn't play defensive all his career), etc...

To be clear, I was talking PL only.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
To be clear, I was talking PL only.
If you look at strictly PL era players only Vieira and Keane are ahead (if you consider even consider them defensive midfielders). There are a few debatable ones as well like Gilberto Silva, Alonso and Makelele (who peaked at Real Madrid). But I would take Kante over everyone except Vieira and Keane who in my eyes are box to box midfielders that can be used as holding midfielders.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Kante>Makelele?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad