GWT: Champions League 22/23 group stage: Matchday 1

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He’s not bad at all. But he is destined for the midfield. Buying another RB and putting Trent in midfield wouldn’t be the worst idea. Of course we sold Neco Williams because he didn’t think he would get minutes and bought Calvin Ramsay who should have failed his medical and he hasn’t played a second of game time this season. Oh and Joe Gomez can supposedly play there but we all saw Gomez’s work today.

Would rather Trent at RCM or on the Right if a three in a 4231 that whatever the shit we are seeing js.
It’d be a interesting experiment.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This game he was. But overall he's way too talented to just ditch. Manager just has to find a way to make him try. Too many times this season he's just given up in his own third which exacerbates his natural defensive weaknesses.
It’s hard to change a player’s work rates over the long term.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
TBH I think putting him in the midfield would remove a ton of his open play value. His biggest edge is being able to play relatively unmarked out wide and use his incredible ball distribution to pick out runs and open passes.

Moving him into the midfield not only changes how teams defend against him, but also playing midfield under Klopp (successfully) requires way more commitment to the center of the park instead of out wide.

I think TAA would do incredible in a back 5 though, but I can't see Klopp seriously considering that for any significant stretch.
Yeah I mean back 5 might be the answer if no one can run, but we don’t have enough CBs for that and Virgil also hates playing in a back 5. The outlook is not good

Liverpool’s Net Spend this summer was 400,000 greater than Graham Potter’s buyout clause

Last edited:
Reactions: robertmac43

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
TBH I think putting him in the midfield would remove a ton of his open play value. His biggest edge is being able to play relatively unmarked out wide and use his incredible ball distribution to pick out runs and open passes.

Moving him into the midfield not only changes how teams defend against him, but also playing midfield under Klopp (successfully) requires way more commitment to the center of the park instead of out wide.

I think TAA would do incredible in a back 5 though, but I can't see Klopp seriously considering that for any significant stretch.
Plus I don’t see TAA being good enough defensively for the ideal Klopp midfield. TAA works because he’s sheltered by a strong midfield press and CB pairing to cover his deficiencies.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Marseille lost because one of their defensemen got a red card after trying to outrun Heung-Min Son, which is impossible to do.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Any defender with a brain wouldn't tackle him like that. Son didn't have a particularly good game at all. Killed so many attacks.
He's on his cold streak, as he hasn't scored for five games into the season.
I think the reason for his cold streak is that midfielders couldn't pass him the balls properly. It's hard trying to adjust to new players like Perisic and strategies that follow them.

Marseille defense was s***ty, for sure. You're right on that.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
He's on his cold streak, as he hasn't scored for five games into the season.
I think the reason for his cold streak is that midfielders couldn't pass him the balls properly. It's hard trying to adjust to new players like Perisic and strategies that follow them.

Marseille defense was s***ty, for sure. You're right on that.
It's not about the other players. His finishing is only a small part of the issue. The main problem is that whenever he's on the ball he always seems to make the wrong decision.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Had to watch the Plzeň game last night for patriotic reasons, got a good thrashing from Barca, though they put in a good effort, but they gave a stat something like Barca's captain alone is worth ten times Plzeň's whole team, so.. so I don't know what Liverpool's excuse is, but I honestly feel bad for them, I miss the Liverpool of old. That Diaz goal though was 🤌

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
It's not about the other players. His finishing is only a small part of the issue. The main problem is that whenever he's on the ball he always seems to make the wrong decision.
He has one of the best finishes in the league. I'm not sure where you got that from.

I get you're incensed by the fact he hasn't scored a goal in five games, but bandwagoning on statistics of any player gets back at you, because he's made very good decisions scoring the goals he scored since 2015 or 2016(?). This includes Champions' League matches in which he played.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
He has one of the best finishes in the league. I'm not sure where you got that from.

I get you're incensed by the fact he hasn't scored a goal in five games, but bandwagoning on statistics of any player gets back at you, because he's made very good decisions scoring the goals he scored since 2015 or 2016(?). This includes Champions' League matches in which he played.
I know that he has been an excellent finisher previously. One of the best in Europe. But he hasnt been a good finisher this season.

But once again, the finishing isn't what he's screwing up the most this season.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I know that he has been an excellent finisher previously. One of the best in Europe. But he hasnt been a good finisher this season.

But once again, the finishing isn't what he's screwing up the most this season.
Wrong decisions....such as? He's been the best goal scorer in the league last season. He has been a consistent 10+ goal scorer and multiassister. However, I think those wrong decisions you're talking about got him to play incompetently.

He may have made a few wrong decisions. Not every player has immaculate seasons, but the emphasis being on "always seems", I don't agree with that.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Wrong decisions....such as? He's been the best goal scorer in the league last season. He has been a consistent 10+ goal scorer and multiassister. However, I think those wrong decisions you're talking about got him to play incompetently.

He may have made a few wrong decisions. Not every player has immaculate seasons, but the emphasis being on "always seems", I don't agree with that.
For the last time, I'm not talking about previous seasons. His previous seasons are irrelevant. I'm talking about how he is playing right now. And right now he holds onto the ball for way too long , misplaces the simplest of passes and struggles finishing.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
For the last time, I'm not talking about previous seasons. His previous seasons are irrelevant. I'm talking about how he is playing right now. And right now he holds onto the ball for way too long , misplaces the simplest of passes and struggles finishing.
Yeah, I was wondering why you were saying so many irrelevant stuff about him.
He's not doing well this season so far, but, hopefully, he rebounds back to his elite form.

And you didn't repeatedly tell me you were talking about his form this season.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
And you didn't repeatedly tell me you were talking about his form this season.
Well, I thought I made that plenty clear. I've praised him tons previous seasons. Was really frustrated he had to share his Golden Boot with Salah last season, who only got it because of his penalties.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I mean I watched the game, he was really very good, but so was the whole team, it was hardly a fair fight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad