Champions Hockey League for 2021/2022

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I'm not saying you are wrong, or disagreeing with you, I just don't understand what you mean. If you wish to expand and clarify this, I will happily listen. However, like anything else, it really boils down to $$$$. If the KHL can make it work financially, they'll join.

As far as I am aware of, there is still interst in Russia to create a KHL conference in western europe, consisting partly of teams who are included in the CHL right now. Such a confernce would be a direct competitor product to the champions hockey league. Even if you are assuming that the CHL would be a much inferior product, there is just no way that the KHL would have any interest in promoting this "alternative" to a western KHL conference.

The very reputable Swiss newspaper "Neue Zürcher Zeitung" reported on this issue a couple of years ago:

[...] "The Reason that the KHL still refuses to take part in the CHL, isn't mainly because of logistical problems, as Kobylyansky [then KHL Executive Board member] explains in Zürich. Rather you just don't want to strengthen your direct competitor. It was most likely more than a conincidence, that the old, finacially much more lucrative Version of the CHL was terminated in the Summer of 2009 after the KHL was launched and its [the CHL's] investors retreated. The League [the old CHL] had been financed mainly by the russian energy corporation Gazprom. Competition [to the KHL] was no longer desired." [...]

German Source (Unfortunately behind a paywall but you can take my word for it)

Reactions: Slimmy

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
As far as I am aware of, there is still interst in Russia to create a KHL conference in western europe, consisting partly of teams who are included in the CHL right now. Such a confernce would be a direct competitor product to the champions hockey league. Even if you are assuming that the CHL would be a much inferior product, there is just no way that the KHL would have any interest in promoting this "alternative" to a western KHL conference.

The Russians aren't stupid, everyone and their dog knows that the idea of KHL in Western Europe is dead.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
The Russians aren't stupid, everyone and their dog knows that the idea of KHL in Western Europe is dead.

Even if the KHL leadership is assuming that too it doesnt make any difference. In that case the league just won't join due to logistical problems, high travel costs and low potential revenue.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Even if the KHL leadership is assuming that too it doesnt make any difference. In that case the league just won't join due to logistical problems, high travel costs and low potential revenue.
I do not think that travel costs are a problem for top KHL clubs. On the other hand I am not sure about current CHL clubs...

Logistical problems - yeah, is the CHL still playing during EHT? That is a non-starter, the CHL needs to find any other dates.

And you are right, the KHL keeps being in contact with European clubs. It is a basic knowledge.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Money isn't really an issue, the KHL will join when they become insecure enough about their place on the hockey map. In recent years their relative position has become weaker, so now it's up to the CHL to grow stronger and make that happen.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Money isn't really an issue, the KHL will join when they become insecure enough about their place on the hockey map. In recent years their relative position has become weaker, so now it's up to the CHL to grow stronger and make that happen.

A lot of KHL clubs have chronic monetary problems. Often they are balanced by investors sometimes not. Just look at the list of teams who disapeared from that League in the last decade. I also highly doubt that taking part in the CHL will have any effect on the KHL's prestige now or in the future. The CHL is just to weak for that and I doubt it has significant untapped potential.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What you see as a weakness of the KHL is a strength in reality. The KHL is much stronger now than a few years ago.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
A lot of KHL clubs have chronic monetary problems. Often they are balanced by investors sometimes not. Just look at the list of teams who disapeared from that League in the last decade.

Sure, but those teams aren't making the cut anyway. Currently the playoff champions and an appropriate number of regular season top teams make the CHL. Basically CSKA and SKA would be in every year and teams like Lokomotiv and Jokerit would contest for the last spots.

Reactions: Exarz

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Sure, but those teams aren't making the cut anyway. Currently the playoff champions and an appropriate number of regular season top teams make the CHL. Basically CSKA and SKA would be in every year and teams like Lokomotiv and Jokerit would contest for the last spots.

Out of those at least Jokerit had significant financial problems in the last few years. Its also not like I argued the teams in question couldnt pay the travel cost in general, I just meant it was another factor (one of many and certainly not the most important one) that decreases the attractiveness of joining the CHL for KHL clubs.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Out of those at least Jokerit had significant financial problems in the last few years. Its also not like I argued the teams in question couldnt pay the travel cost in general, I just meant it was another factor (one of many and certainly not the most important one) that decreases the attractiveness of joining the CHL for KHL clubs.
Top KHL clubs have never had any financial problems, including Jokerit.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Top KHL clubs have never had any financial problems, including Jokerit.

Jokerit has had major deficits mostly due to high KHL salaries in the last few years. Only because their oligarch investors (who have been investigated for money laundering last year) are covering the defficits it doesnt mean Jokerit is an economically sound hockey franchise...

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Day 2 was definitely more interesting than day 1. Had our first real upset, when Bremerhaven beat Turku, 2-1. Lugano is currently crushing Skeleftea, 5-1. Slovan lead Leksands late, but eventually lost 5-3.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
all swedish teams won their games so far, but not skellefteå. skellefteå are always terrible in CL. they should give up their spot to another team.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Tappara 6:1 in Berlin. Strong in Group Stage and in K.O, mostly K.O.. ;)

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Tappara 6:1 in Berlin. Strong in Group Stage and in K.O, mostly K.O.. ;)
They play well in the group stage becose it is good practice for the Liiga season, then choose to get knocked out in the play offs, becose Liiga season is more important. Sad but true.

Reactions: vorky

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Day 2 was definitely more interesting than day 1. Had our first real upset, when Bremerhaven beat Turku, 2-1. Lugano is currently crushing Skeleftea, 5-1. Slovan lead Leksands late, but eventually lost 5-3.
Not a bad result for Slovan to be honest. Loosing very late on 2 Leksand's powerplays is alright. Probably feels salty for them now though, given they were in lead for most of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad