Champions Hockey League for 2021/2022

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It seems likely that there will be a replacement team, would be nice to see the champions of another league get their chance.

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
The Nottingham Panthers were runner-ups in the most recent Continental Cup (behind SønderjyskE, who earned their spot that way). Would be cool to see them again, their fans seemed really into it the last time and I remember watching them beat Bern and advance to the knockout stage which was neat.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
it does seems like the tournment gets bigger and bigger. hopefully one day it will be like CL in soccer.
Without KHL? The Football CL is with all leagues. Not without PL or La Liga. ;)
I don’t like the way that’s been done so far. Start in Pre-Season and now the strange Group F and H etc.
In Football, Handball the EC- Cups are more structured than in hockey.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Without KHL? The Football CL is with all leagues. Not without PL or La Liga. ;)
I don’t like the way that’s been done so far. Start in Pre-Season and now the strange Group F and H etc.
In Football, Handball the EC- Cups are more structured than in hockey.
I am not a fan of Champions League, or the CHL for that matter. I don’t see the point.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Group G and H are just temporary for this season as their national teams are playing the final qualification round for the Olympics.
Yes i know!
And there is no other solution? That would be the case if there were a group of Omonia Nicosia, KR Reykjavik, Flora Tallinn and HJK Helsinki in the football CL.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Group G and H are just temporary for this season as their national teams are playing the final qualification round for the Olympics.
I understand everything, you know. But there are some situations which are behind the red line.

The CHL simply got themself into lose-lose situation. It looks amateurish to me. We are hearing how the CHL is open to everyone, no discrimination, equal chances to everyone (the CHL leadership is talking this stuff when commenting the KHL). And now, they exclude Yunost for non-sport reasons (and this is not about travelling or security, the true reasons are a bit different). Do you know what is the worst? The CHL did not predict what could happen. And they had all information before the draw, they knew the situation, the Swedish clubs warned them that the SHL clubs will boycott a game in Belarus. So, asking, why did not the CHL exclude Yunost before draw? Or, why did they even give a spot to Belarus?

I would rather see the CHL Board to care about the development than non-sport situation in Belarus. For example, approving a rule that a club can not play at 5000 seat arena. Look at UEFA or Euroleague, they have rules with minimal standards for venues. If I remember, the Euroleague has 10 000 seats.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yes i know!
And there is no other solution? That would be the case if there were a group of Omonia Nicosia, KR Reykjavik, Flora Tallinn and HJK Helsinki in the football CL.
Exactly. As I said above, the principle of equal chances & sportsmanship is annuled. All the problem is that the CHL does not have a schedule windows to play the games, so they need to start when they start. The funny part is that they had a offer to re-design the international schedule, but refused to do anything. Now, they are a pure victims of their bad decision making.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Exactly. As I said above, the principle of equal chances & sportsmanship is annuled. All the problem is that the CHL does not have a schedule windows to play the games, so they need to start when they start. The funny part is that they had a offer to re-design the international schedule, but refused to do anything. Now, they are a pure victims of their bad decision making.
Exactly! In all other team sports, a European Cup takes place during the season.
Only in hockey is this regulated in such a special way

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Exactly! In all other team sports, a European Cup takes place during the season.
Only in hockey is this regulated in such a special way
I do not have time to check. Do they still play during the EHT? I know, they played. Can you imagine the UEFA CL would be played at the same time as the EURO/World Cup qualification? That is one of reasons why the KHL is not eager to participate at CHL. Many KHLers playing at EHT, so the KHL clubs would play without their best players.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Tomorrow it starts. Nice to see how Cardiff Devils will do as they haven't played any exhibition games. Sadly Kärpät isn't there this time.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I hope that general interest for this tournament is growing. For me personally it's the opposite. At first I was very into it. Now not that much. Well maybe it's got something to do with the 'rona aswell.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
IIHF - CHL teams set

With the season in most European leagues coming to an end, the 32 teams of the Champions Hockey League for 2021/2022 are known.

The 32 teams will be drawn into eight groups of four at the CHL Group Stage Draw, which takes place on 19 May 2021 at 18:00 CEST. The show will be broadcast live on the CHL’s digital platforms.
The 32 teams:

Sweden (5 places)
  • Frolunda Gothenburg (CHL Champions)
  • Vaxjo Lakers
  • Rogle Angelholm
  • Leksands IF
  • Skelleftea AIK

Switzerland (5 places)

• EV Zug
  • HC Lugano
  • Lausanne HC
  • Fribourg-Gotteron
  • ZSC Lions Zurich

Germany (4 places)

• Adler Mannheim
  • Eisbaren Berlin
  • Red Bull Munich
  • Fischtown Pinguins Bremerhaven

Finland (4 places)

• Lukko Rauma
  • IFK Helsinki
  • TPS Turku
  • Tappara Tampere

Czech Republic (3 places)

• Ocelari Trinec
  • Sparta Prague
  • BK Mlada Boleslav

Austria/ICEHL (3 places)

• KAC Klagenfurt
  • HC Bolzano (ITA)
  • Red Bull Salzburg

Challenger Leagues (8 places)

• SonderjyskE Vojens (IIHF Continental Cup Winners/DEN)
  • Yunost Minsk (BLR)
  • Rungsted Seier Capital (DEN)
  • Rouen Dragons (FRA)
  • Frisk Asker (NOR)
  • JKH GKS Jastrzębie (POL)
  • Cardiff Devils (GBR)
  • HC Donbass (UKR)

Strange to not see Karpat.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
CHL-Media-Guide-2021-22-007-001.png

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine
Tournament started yesterday. No real surprises, other than maybe Lausanne beating Lukko. Day 2 tonight, with some decent matchups. Unlike most of the people commenting here, I actually enjoy this tournament, and do hope it can gain some traction with hockey fans, and that ultimately the KHL will join (although not holding my breath).

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Tournament started yesterday. No real surprises, other than maybe Lausanne beating Lukko. Day 2 tonight, with some decent matchups. Unlike most of the people commenting here, I actually enjoy this tournament, and do hope it can gain some traction with hockey fans, and that ultimately the KHL will join (although not holding my breath).

The KHL wont join as the CHL is incompatible with their expansion plans into Western Europe. They would basically support a future competitor league if they joined.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
The KHL wont join as the CHL is incompatible with their expansion plans into Western Europe. They would basically support a future competitor league if they joined.
But the CHL isn t a competitor league! ;)
This league has too little importance.

Go Donbass

Sep 27, 2013
Vinnitsa, Ukraine

I'm not saying you are wrong, or disagreeing with you, I just don't understand what you mean. If you wish to expand and clarify this, I will happily listen. However, like anything else, it really boils down to $$$$. If the KHL can make it work financially, they'll join.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad