Champions Hockey League 2022/2023

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I read there will be 24 teams in CHL from next season, is it already known how many places will every country/league get ?

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Who's going for gold this season? I'll be cheering for Jukurit. Also hope that Belfast Giants makes it to the playoffs although it's gonna be tough with Skellefteå and Davos in the same group.
I'm a bit sceptical about Jukurit for this coming season. They lost last season's MVPs Palmu and Salminen, and I'm not sure who's there to replace them.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Apparently, the details have not yet been decided.

If they were to keep all the challenger teams in then I would go

Top 3 founding leagues 3 teams each (9)
Bottom 3 founding leagues 2 teams each (6)
British, Danish, French, Norwegian, Polish, Slovakian + some other national champion (7)
Continental Cup winner (1)
Reigning CHL winner (1)

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Rögle needs to wake up they can't lose against Katowice right? That would be a little embarrassing 😳

Good game between Frölunda and Mountfield

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I have to admit that the last time they tried to start CHL tournament they also had Victoria cup game where north american team can clash with European champions. NY Rangers won over Magnitogorsk for the first time in 2008 and Chicago Blackhawks lost to Swiss ZSC, Lions in 2009. Those games were great! They should be bring back at some point. Maybe Stanley Cup winner could face both KHL champion and CHL Champion in a minintournament and the winner receuves the old Victoria Cup Trophy. The best miljöö for this tournament would be in some swiss arena, they sure know how to make beautiful arenas,

This year Colorado Avalanche, CSKA Moscow and Rögle could clash for the title. Maybe even add an AHL Winner too.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, Rogle/Clang definitely weren't in mid-season form. Yet SHL teams are 2/2 so far, shockingly.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
If they were to keep all the challenger teams in then I would go

Top 3 founding leagues 3 teams each (9)
Bottom 3 founding leagues 2 teams each (6)
British, Danish, French, Norwegian, Polish, Slovakian + some other national champion (7)
Continental Cup winner (1)
Reigning CHL winner (1)
Number of representative leagues may also decrease:

From then onwards, the 24 teams must represent a minimum of 12 national leagues, and one national league cannot be represented by more than four teams.

Last edited:

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I am curious to see how Olimpija will do against TPS Turku. Last team from ex-Yugoslavia to play against TPS in european competition was Medvescak, they lost 3:1 in European Cup in 1990/1991. season in the semi-final group. Hopefully Olimpija will do better.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I have to say with the KHL being the way it is, Swiss teams are stacked... Davos is a relatively humble team (which doesn't aim for Texier and Kukan) and they are still icing Ambuhl, Corvi, Nygren, Ambuhl, Fora, Egli, Dahlbeck, Stransky, Bristedt, Aeschlimann.. Tremendous.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Olimpija is very thin on the D, couple of Alps League dmen - ICEHL rookies, 1 Mestis & Echl imports.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Medvescak was down 0:2 after first period:sarcasm:
I was shocked and chagrined but then Olimpija went 3-1 down by the end of the 2nd and the balance of the universe seems to be restored :laugh:

On a more serious note, in the current landscape, the TPS roster is kinda poopy..

Reactions: filip85

rizka

May 7, 2016
Yeah, it was Slovan, who, to be fair, are still probably a better team than Olimpija.
Tappara is also a better team than TPS. :) Yes, TPS was is in the finals last year but their competitors have improved more in the summer. There is general agreement that the three best teams in Finland for the upcoming season are Tappara, Ilves and Kärpät. The order is debatable, but putting some other team into the mix would be highly controversial. The three have signed some huge names. As a Tappara fan, I'm excited by KHL's last season top goalscorer Niko Ojamäki, ex-NHLer and KHL legend Jori Lehterä and the defender Valtteri Kemiläinen who is an elite blueliner in Europe. If you would have told me year ago that they all are back in Tappara now, I would have laughed at your face! Our team is capable and ready to replicate last year's success.

The power rankings of Finnish CHL teams for the season is Tappara = Ilves > TPS > Jukurit.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Tappara is also a better team than TPS. :)
Yes but Slovan is also likely the better team than Olimpija. In the big picture those relatively minor differences shouldn't matter.

In actuality, though, Olimpija is hanging in there despite being outshot more than double.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yes but Slovan is also likely the better team than Olimpija. In the big picture those relatively minor differences shouldn't matter.

In actuality, though, Olimpija is hanging in there despite being outshot more than double.

Brave game from Olimpija...tiny budget, more tiny talent pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad