Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Tobias Rieder signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K, 2 way contract)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wait was he the Oilers GM before ?
It's mocking Bob Nicholson. Last season at a season ticket holder meeting Bob Nicholson told people that if Reider had scored 10 goals, the Oilers would have made the playoffs.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
It's mocking Bob Nicholson. Last season at a season ticket holder meeting Bob Nicholson told people that if Reider had scored 10 goals, the Oilers would have made the playoffs.

Oh lol ok I was trying to mock myself but clearly didn't get the reference

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
After failing to score ZERO goals FOR the Oilers last year, Toby scores two AGAINST them in the Flames final preseason game tonight.
And to rub more salt in the wound.... Lucic also scores a goal.

New Oilers 2 - Old Oilers 3

Priceless.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
That kid on Montreal scores 3 in his first game and you never heard from him again, I expect the same from Reider. Another one of our duds Calgary fortunately picked up.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
All Rieder has to do is score 8 more goals and the Flames are a lock to make the playoffs. Fortunately the Flames pay the Oilers 5 more times this year so I'd say things are looking good.... especially now that Oilers reject Lucic is chipping in too.
Haven't we seen this movie before?? Players depart from Oiler organization and make good. Something must be wrong with the water in Greaser Town.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That kid on Montreal scores 3 in his first game and you never heard from him again, I expect the same from Reider. Another one of our duds Calgary fortunately picked up.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
All Rieder has to do is score 8 more goals and the Flames are a lock to make the playoffs. Fortunately the Flames pay the Oilers 5 more times this year so I'd say things are looking good.... especially now that Oilers reject Lucic is chipping in too.
Haven't we seen this movie before?? Players depart from Oiler organization and make good. Something must be wrong with the water in Greaser Town.

If scoring in pre-season is what matters, then Rieder and Lucic had very good years last season.....

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Teams picking up Oiler "duds" has worked out pretty well the last decade or so.

Sure, because you only remember the ones who work... For any dud that works there are 10 who don't, but who remembers those.....

Last edited:

Aug 3, 2010
Sure, because you only remember the ones who work... For any dud that works there are 10 who don't, but **** remembers those.....
Sure, but that's true for most teams, whether it's pro or amateur scouting or other organizational weaknesses. Every team has had a handful of players who just didn't do well in their time with one organization only to see improvement on another.

The Oilers have unquestionably been one of the teams with the worst management and player development programs in a major sports league, in recent history.

However, I would argue that there's been a disproportionate amount of decent reclamation projects originating from the Oilers. Just because the Oilers themselves haven't done well, doesn't mean their players have individually been "the worst ever at their position", but merely under-utilized, under-coached, under-developed, etc. In other words, other organizations have gotten more out of ex-Oilers assets because they are able to play them to their srengths, where it's coaching systems or line placements. Being able to properly shelter players, or give them the tools to succeed, goes a long way.

And that's just really talking about mid/lower-tier players. How many teams give up a Hart Trophy-winning winger in the prime years of their career?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Good speed, good along the boards, Peters seems to love his PKing. As far as cheap depth goes the Flames have done a lot worse a lot of years. Going to be hard having a worse year than 2018-19 for Toby.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
So you're saying that Ethan Bear will likely suck this season?

I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying that pre-season success means squat, I would not get high because of one pre-season game.

Afterall, the hottest guy in preseason last year was Ty Rattie, he was miles ahead of what Rieder did last preseason or this one.

As for Bear, I'll wait to see him for at least half season before passing judgement.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Sure, but that's true for most teams, whether it's pro or amateur scouting or other organizational weaknesses. Every team has had a handful of players who just didn't do well in their time with one organization only to see improvement on another.

The Oilers have unquestionably been one of the teams with the worst management and player development programs in a major sports league, in recent history.

However, I would argue that there's been a disproportionate amount of decent reclamation projects originating from the Oilers. Just because the Oilers themselves haven't done well, doesn't mean their players have individually been "the worst ever at their position", but merely under-utilized, under-coached, under-developed, etc. In other words, other organizations have gotten more out of ex-Oilers assets because they are able to play them to their srengths, where it's coaching systems or line placements. Being able to properly shelter players, or give them the tools to succeed, goes a long way.

And that's just really talking about mid/lower-tier players. How many teams give up a Hart Trophy-winning winger in the prime years of their career?

It is not clear if the bolded part reffers to the Hall trade, or giving away Martin St. Louis for free?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad