Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Tobias Rieder signs with the Flames (1 year, $700K, 2 way contract)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying that pre-season success means squat, I would not get high because of one pre-season game.

Afterall, the hottest guy in preseason last year was Ty Rattie, he was miles ahead of what Rieder did last preseason or this one.
No... what you implied was that preseason scoring doesn't matter and you can't judge a player's future contribtion by what he does in the preseason. At least Rieder has a history of scoring (averaging 10+ NHL goals per season) whereas Bear has absolutely no history in the NHL. I'd say, based on past history (as long as you disregard playing for the Oilers because thats a place where player's careers go to die), that Rieder scores more and is more effective than Bear.

As far as Rattie, he scored exactly what his history suggested he would. Prior to joining the Oilers he scored 4 goals in 36 games (.11 goals per game). I'm not sure why Oiler fans expected anything different. Rieder scored, prior to joining the black hole team called the Oilers, 51 goals in 292 games (.17 goals per game).

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
No... what you implied was that preseason scoring doesn't matter and you can't judge a player's future contribtion by what he does in the preseason. At least Rieder has a history of scoring (averaging 10+ NHL goals per season) whereas Bear has absolutely no history in the NHL. I'd say, based on past history (as long as you disregard playing for the Oilers because thats a place where player's careers go to die), that Rieder scores more and is more effective than Bear.

As far as Rattie, he scored exactly what his history suggested he would. Prior to joining the Oilers he scored 4 goals in 36 games (.11 goals per game). I'm not sure why Oiler fans expected anything different. Rieder scored, prior to joining the black hole team called the Oilers, 51 goals in 292 games (.17 goals per game).

Be happy with Lucic and Rieder, but remember, no takebacks you keep them ;)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Be happy with Lucic and Rieder, but remember, no takebacks you keep them ;)
Trust me... nobody wants Neil back. He may play great for the Oilers this year but he just wasn't a fit with the Flames.... like pounding a square peg in a round hole.
As for Smith... I was quite happy with his play in the latter part of last year (or at least his play when he didn't do something stupid when playing the puck behind his net... count on that happening at least once every couple of games) and if he continues to play that way the Oilers will have picked up a fine goalie. With regards to Talbot, I was very unhappy when I heard the Flames signed him. However his play in his 2nd & 3rd preseason games is slowly changing my mind. We shall see. He doesn't have a lot of rope in my mind.

Aug 3, 2010
It is not clear if the bolded part reffers to the Hall trade, or giving away Martin St. Louis for free?
I know you're being wilfully ignorant but St. Louis was not close to being in the prime of his career when he left Calgary (averaging something around less than 0.5 PPG) whereas Hall had already hit PPG in two seasons with Edmonton prior to him being traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad