Proposal: CGY/NJD

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I've seen this quite a bit from NJD fans. I'm genuinely curious and trying to figure out the logic. Is there a goalie you think will shake loose in the offseason that fixes it? Is it that you think you can get it done for less assets in the offseason? I don't understand flushing the season with a good club that can't get a save THEN going and fixing it. Why not fix it now?
No reason to fix it now. The season is cooked. They should be selling, even though they won't. They are further from a playoff spot than the teams they are supposed to be buying from. They are closer to a top ten pick then the playoffs, I'm reasonably sure.

Not sure if cost is going down, but likely won't go up. Don't think that's going to blow up on them. Can potentially talk extension with guys who may be available (ullmark, Saros), so you can have more info at your disposal. Not trying to get a team to take away from the roster during a playoff run. I would imagine that it's a different coach for the devils after the year, which isn't a small thing.

Reactions: HBK27

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No reason to fix it now. The season is cooked. They should be selling, even though they won't. They are further from a playoff spot than the teams they are supposed to be buying from. They are closer to a top ten pick then the playoffs, I'm reasonably sure.

Not sure if cost is going down, but likely won't go up. Don't think that's going to blow up on them. Can potentially talk extension with guys who may be available (ullmark, Saros), so you can have more info at your disposal. Not trying to get a team to take away from the roster during a playoff run. I would imagine that it's a different coach for the devils after the year, which isn't a small thing.
I just think it's a weird thing when St. Louis won a cup 4 points further back without the games in hand you guys have. You mix in .915 or better goaltending instead of a putrid .886 and you guys are a top team in the east. Nothing makes a bad coach look better than good goaltending and nothing makes a good coach look worse than bad goaltending.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils season is over.

Get back to us in the summer. Maybe then we can work something out.

• Haha
Reactions: thaman8765678

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's not over if you get a goalie. The team would have more confidence and they could go on a run.
Too many points out right now. M

If anything; maybe it causes us to miss by a few points and not 10. And saves other jobs in the process.

Reactions: Forge

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I just think it's a weird thing when St. Louis won a cup 4 points further back without the games in hand you guys have. You mix in .915 or better goaltending instead of a putrid .886 and you guys are a top team in the east. Nothing makes a bad coach look better than good goaltending and nothing makes a good coach look worse than bad goaltending.
I think it would be weird to make decisions using an extreme outlier as justification.

This is not a good team, and it goes beyond the goaltending which is what people are failing to acknowledge. There are clear issues in terms of motivation, being prepared, scoring goals even. They turn the puck over a ton and defense is currently optional.

They were down 2-1 today in a critical game and put up 3 shots on goal. They had back to back pp's. Against the rangers, they had a 5 minutes major and a double minor and got nothing.

Jack has been a sub ppg player since December 1. Jack not being jack does a ton of damage.

Take a look at that schedule starting 3/9.

Turn the page, start fresh in the offseason. Build some assets with your few rentals

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
You can always just sit tight for now, and if they do manage to crawl back into it closer to the deadline, maybe circle back around.

I think it's Devils or bust for Markstrom anyway, I'm willing to risk that.

It's not over if you get a goalie. The team would have more confidence and they could go on a run.

This team isn't good enough in other areas right now to go on a run

Reactions: Smitty426

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think it would be weird to make decisions using an extreme outlier as justification.

This is not a good team, and it goes beyond the goaltending which is what people are failing to acknowledge. There are clear issues in terms of motivation, being prepared, scoring goals even. They turn the puck over a ton and defense is currently optional.

They were down 2-1 today in a critical game and put up 3 shots on goal. They had back to back pp's. Against the rangers, they had a 5 minutes major and a double minor and got nothing.

Jack has been a sub ppg player since December 1. Jack not being jack does a ton of damage.

Take a look at that schedule starting 3/9.

Turn the page, start fresh in the offseason. Build some assets with your few rentals
I just love your roster so much.

Hughes -Ozone deployment, elite offensive talent.

Hischier - 2 way matchup C.

Mercer - A bit of a wild card, but lots of potential.

Bratt is super dynamic and plays a solid 2 way game for his size.

Toffoli glacial skating, but scores 30 and gets pucks out.

The you look at the young blueliners coming. This team has everything to contend for the next 7-8 years except the goalie. I hear you it might not be their year. But I wouldn't want to be Boston facing them in the 1st round with that center depth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Too many points out right now. M

If anything; maybe it causes us to miss by a few points and not 10. And saves other jobs in the process.
5 points between you and Philly with a head-to-head matchup still remaining and it's likely they're trading one of their better defensemen by the deadline.

You may not have the horses to go on a playoff run, but you have to remember this is a business as well, and home playoff games equal bonus revenue, and playoff experience can't be overlooked too.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames probably missed the boat with Jersey. I think Calgary is a actually the better team than NJD; the only way Jersey does this is if the GM really wants to give his players a vote of confidence.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Flames probably missed the boat with Jersey. I think Calgary is a actually the better team than NJD; the only way Jersey does this is if the GM really wants to give his players a vote of confidence.

I don’t know, they need a goalie moving forward anyway, if they don’t do it now they still have to do it in the summer. No reason that roster shouldn’t be making the playoffs in that division

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I am the one of biggest "blame the goalie" guys on the Devils board, but their play this past week has been so uninspiring that it doesn't really matter what goalie they have. They have so clearly checked out on the coach.

I think the bolded is probably the biggest thing. They just look listless out there every damn game just about. If I were seeing fight from them and they were just losing, people could convince me that trading for a goalie may have a notable change...but I think the players have given up

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think the bolded is probably the biggest thing. They just look listless out there every damn game just about. If I were seeing fight from them and they were just losing, people could convince me that trading for a goalie may have a notable change...but I think the players have given up
As @Volica pointed out, trading for a goalie now could be seen by the players as a vote of confidence, if they are starting to give up that could rejuvenate them.

Reactions: thaman8765678

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I've seen this quite a bit from NJD fans. I'm genuinely curious and trying to figure out the logic. Is there a goalie you think will shake loose in the offseason that fixes it? Is it that you think you can get it done for less assets in the offseason? Is it that you aren't sure which assets are keepers and which you should make available yet? I don't understand flushing the season with a good club that can't get a save THEN going and fixing it. Why not fix it now when you have the LTIR space and see if you can grab a playoff spot? The top of the East is very vulnerable, there's no team it would be a "waste of 8 days" against for NJ.

Part of it is contract extension rules. If they trade for a goalie with one remaining year on contract right now, like Saros, they can’t sign an extension at trade time. All they’re acquiring is one year of guaranteed service and then the player’s option to walk for nothing.

If they pursue a Saros trade in summer, they can negotiate an extension as part of the process and know they’re getting a long term rather than one year and hope.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I've seen this quite a bit from NJD fans. I'm genuinely curious and trying to figure out the logic. Is there a goalie you think will shake loose in the offseason that fixes it? Is it that you think you can get it done for less assets in the offseason? Is it that you aren't sure which assets are keepers and which you should make available yet? I don't understand flushing the season with a good club that can't get a save THEN going and fixing it. Why not fix it now when you have the LTIR space and see if you can grab a playoff spot? The top of the East is very vulnerable, there's no team it would be a "waste of 8 days" against for NJ.

They're not good enough regardless this year for a goalie trade and most of us our fanbase are sick of Lindy to throw him a life jacket mid year. If they can get a goalie without killing themselves right now, sure go for it but there's gonna be a ton of goalies in the summer. Boston has to make a move with Ullmark/Swayman, you guys with Markstrom, Nashville with Saros/Askarov, etc. There's also random trades of players we never knew were available.

As @Volica pointed out, trading for a goalie now could be seen by the players as a vote of confidence, if they are starting to give up that could rejuvenate them.

These players don't deserve a vote of confidence lmao, they just got mangled by the Caps, TBL and Rags in a week

Reactions: HBK27 and Smitty426

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I think you probably don't gamble that on a maybe and very slim odds that it's going to help out enough. As someone else said earlier, you probably miss the playoffs by fewer points.

The devils aren't even in the best position to catch the flyers, most likely. Washington is a point behind NJ with 2 games in hand and Pitt is 2 points behind with 3 games in hand on the devils.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Part of it is contract extension rules. If they trade for a goalie with one remaining year on contract right now, like Saros, they can’t sign an extension at trade time. All they’re acquiring is one year of guaranteed service and then the player’s option to walk for nothing.

If they pursue a Saros trade in summer, they can negotiate an extension as part of the process and know they’re getting a long term rather than one year and hope.

they could negotiate an extension with Saros all they want as part of the trade (assuming Nashville allows it)

he just isn't actually able to sign it until July 1. Which obviously still carries some risk, but yeah.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
They look checked out and listless because they could have an elite goalie right now, and instead they know they can't go on a deep run with the current goalies.

I'm sure the Devils players all saw the trade leak, and that their management had a goalie for them finally. But then the deal fell apart.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
They look checked out and listless because they could have an elite goalie right now, and instead they know they can't go on a deep run with the current goalies.
Or because they are just done with Ruff and checked out on him.

They don't deserve the trade, tbh. They are a very mediocre team.

Collect assets from moving Toffoli and Miller. Restart in the off season with a new coach, new goalie.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Or because they are just done with Ruff and checked out on him.

They don't deserve the trade, tbh. They are a very mediocre team.

Collect assets from moving Toffoli and Miller. Restart in the off season with a new coach, new goalie.
Maybe, but I'll take what their captain is saying publicly at face value. "When we get the saves, it is much easier to win".

I mean, do the players have to vocalize it any louder.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They're not good enough regardless this year for a goalie trade and most of us our fanbase are sick of Lindy to throw him a life jacket mid year. If they can get a goalie without killing themselves right now, sure go for it but there's gonna be a ton of goalies in the summer. Boston has to make a move with Ullmark/Swayman, you guys with Markstrom, Nashville with Saros/Askarov, etc. There's also random trades of players we never knew were available.

These players don't deserve a vote of confidence lmao, they just got mangled by the Caps, TBL and Rags in a week
At what point do you think it wouldn't just be Lindy that's in trouble, but Fitz as well? I wonder if 9 years and one playoff series win makes his seat start feeling warm? I really like the core. Just don't know the ownership mindset in NJ. 4 coaches isn't a crazy amount, but it's probably the average of how many GMs get with no success.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Maybe, but I'll take what their captain is saying publicly at face value. "When we get the saves, it is much easier to win".

I mean, do the players have to vocalize it any louder.
Jack isn't the captain.

He also said "people pay to watch me play" and has been pretty bad since December 1st. Solid -4 on the day today. 23 in his last 26.

They've been embarrassed in 3 of the last 4 while scoring 8 total goals in those 4 games. Maybe he should worry about that as opposed to the goalies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

That's the best argument I've heard for sure.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
At what point do you think it wouldn't just be Lindy that's in trouble, but Fitz as well? I wonder if 9 years and one playoff series win makes his seat start feeling warm? I really like the core. Just don't know the ownership mindset in NJ. 4 coaches isn't a crazy amount, but it's probably the average of how many GMs get with no success.
Fitz just signed an extension this year. He won't go anywhere for now. Keep in mind, he's only been GM for like 3 years. He took over for Ray shero

Lindy signed his deal this year, but I'm almost positive that Elliott said it was only a 2 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad