Proposal: CGY/NJD

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Yeah, I do agree that upgrades within the organization have to start with a head coach firing. Trading away pieces before you can figure it out isn't the smartest move at all.
Top D will still be an issue next yr
Luke and Simon WILL be great but not be enough until after next season.

Reactions: SnipeNCelly

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
NJ doesn’t need another soft defender. At this point NJ seems to be thr only team interested in Markstrom. Apparently NJ has already said no to a trade for Mercer.
NJ needs more goals than they allow lol
A single tough d man won't get lord stanley 😂

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
Ok but it also says NJ shouldn’t trade for Hanifin. I’m not saying he is not talented or capable just that he isn’t a fit for them. He’d be great on a team with a heavy defense
Well from what I see they need defense no? Whens dougie back? And don't they wanna make playoffs ? Hanifins been playing very good so that's why I think he would be a good addition

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
J Markstrom 33%retained
N.Hanifin 50%retained( with extention in place)
M.Coronato

For

A.Holtz
2024 1st ( becomes 2025 1st if NJ makes eastern conference because of SJ trade)
D.Mercer
N.daws( flames flip)

Who says no ?
Devils don't make playoffs often. Be tempting for them.

A Lot their deals like this haven't worked out though. Meier, Hamilton been hurt a lot also.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
As a Devils fan I don't understand the need to compete this year. We have one of the youngest cores in the NHL, let this year be a learning experience and use the off-season to fix the goaltending issue. I believe in our young guys, I think the defense will fix itself over time, rather than drop a couple of 22 year olds in the NHL for an aging goalie and another expensive long term deal for a Defenseman that doesn't improve the toughness of the squad. Markstrom and Hanifin are great NHL players having good seasons and both would improve the Devils a lot this year, but I dont get the rush to win right now,

I'm sure the value isnt there for Calgary judging from the responses in this thread and that's ok, I personally think teams that are further down their competitive window should be looking for Markstrom and Hanifin rather than the Devils.

I think the number 1 way the Devils can fumble the bag is to deal a ton of assets to compete now, when they can use those guys during the window. I think in a year or 2 when Luke and Nemec have (theoretically) improved is when the Devils should be throwing futures out for a run or two.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hughes-Hamilton
Hanifin-Nemec

Top 4 would be kinda cool long term. First pair = heavy o-zone starts, try and play them with Jack as much as possible. 2nd pair = shutdown pair, get them out there with Nico matched against opponents top lines

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
As a Devils fan I don't understand the need to compete this year. We have one of the youngest cores in the NHL, let this year be a learning experience and use the off-season to fix the goaltending issue. I believe in our young guys, I think the defense will fix itself over time, rather than drop a couple of 22 year olds in the NHL for an aging goalie and another expensive long term deal for a Defenseman that doesn't improve the toughness of the squad. Markstrom and Hanifin are great NHL players having good seasons and both would improve the Devils a lot this year, but I dont get the rush to win right now,

I'm sure the value isnt there for Calgary judging from the responses in this thread and that's ok, I personally think teams that are further down their competitive window should be looking for Markstrom and Hanifin rather than the Devils.

I think the number 1 way the Devils can fumble the bag is to deal a ton of assets to compete now, when they can use those guys during the window. I think in a year or 2 when Luke and Nemec have (theoretically) improved is when the Devils should be throwing futures out for a run or two.

I have no inclination to buy rentals or make moves like Markstrom right now. Getting Hanifin and extending him at least makes sense if they are interested. He's a good player, so at least I understand why they want him and if they want him, that does have to be done now (unlike Markstrom, if they were only trading for the goaltender). So if they ultimately made a Markstrom + hanafin move, I'm not going to be upset or anything. That's not a win now move, that's a win now + into the future move.

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
I have no inclination to buy rentals or make moves like Markstrom right now. Getting Hanifin and extending him at least makes sense if they are interested. He's a good player, so at least I understand why they want him and if they want him, that does have to be done now (unlike Markstrom, if they were only trading for the goaltender). So if they ultimately made a Markstrom + hanafin move, I'm not going to be upset or anything. That's not a win now move, that's a win now + into the future move.
Sp in other words you're content with less than mediocre goaltending? You also fail to realize Hamilton is on LTIR so money is off books for playoffs . They instantly become better with markstrom and hanifin ..

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Sp in other words you're content with less than mediocre goaltending? You also fail to realize Hamilton is on LTIR so money is off books for playoffs . They instantly become better with markstrom and hanifin ..

They aren't going anywhere this season, Markstrom or no. So no, I'm in no hurry to trade for Markstrom on his own. I don't think the price is higher in the off season and there are other options that may present themselves and more information available regarding potential options. I see very few ways in which they would regret waiting until the off season to make a move on a goalie at this juncture.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I mean they were close to a deal and it fell apart twice. Likely because of Murray Edward's.

So, while I want some of these Devils assets, hard to see them trying a 3rd time.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Ok but it also says NJ shouldn’t trade for Hanifin. I’m not saying he is not talented or capable just that he isn’t a fit for them. He’d be great on a team with a heavy defense
When Bahls crushing it as our nasty guy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If this was offered, it would've been accepted by now lol. But no
The thing is that New Jersey has been sleeping on a trade and their playoff aspirations probably went away today with their 4th loss in 6 games and to TB a team they are now 7 points behind and sure they have 2 games in hand but their season is slipped away.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
The thing is that New Jersey has been sleeping on a trade and their playoff aspirations probably went away today with their 4th loss in 6 games and to TB a team they are now 7 points behind and sure they have 2 games in hand but their season is slipped away.

Yep. I do think they'll make the play this offseason for someone. I assume big game hunting

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yep. I do think they'll make the play this offseason for someone. I assume big game hunting
I've seen this quite a bit from NJD fans. I'm genuinely curious and trying to figure out the logic. Is there a goalie you think will shake loose in the offseason that fixes it? Is it that you think you can get it done for less assets in the offseason? Is it that you aren't sure which assets are keepers and which you should make available yet? I don't understand flushing the season with a good club that can't get a save THEN going and fixing it. Why not fix it now when you have the LTIR space and see if you can grab a playoff spot? The top of the East is very vulnerable, there's no team it would be a "waste of 8 days" against for NJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad