Proposal: CGY/NJD

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I think Flames would be tempted just because of Mercer. But I’m not really sure on this one because I’d be hoping for an absolute haul trading Hanifin as the top player available. Giving up Hanifin and our top forward prospect really makes me not want to do this. Especially with retention for 3 years. Basically to me it’s Mercer for a retained Hanifin and Coranato. The other pieces equal a retained Marky. I thinks it’s probably fair and a very well thought out trade.

Last edited:

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Aren’t Holtz and Coronato kind of close in value. Edge to Holtz because he’s in the NHL now but I suspect Coronato at the same age next year will have a similar stat line

Not sure what the point in including them is
That’s what I would think as well. Coranato would be near his home too. Personally I don’t really like trading prospects that you invest in and they invest in the team as well. Especially considering the managment staff really worked with him to get him to sign in Calgary.

Reactions: bert

SnipeNCelly

Feb 24, 2019
If this was offered, it would've been accepted by now lol. But no
Who's to say something like that isn't in the works apparently NJ circled back to CGY and are in talks. This is a proposal and speculation lol
Many things to consider in value like if hanifin agrees to an extension to NJ

I think Flames would be tempted just because of Mercer. But I’m not really sure on this one because I’d be hoping for an absolute haul trading Hanifin as the top player available. Giving up Hanifin and our top forward prospect really makes me not want to do this. Especially with retention for 3 years. Basically to me it’s Mercer for a retained Hanifin and Coranato. The other pieces equal a retained Marky. I thinks it’s probably fair and a very well thought out trade.
I think trading Coronato is a risk but I think with both Holtz and Mercer your RW position gets better faster in CGY if they wanna retool opposed to rebuild

Reactions: MakeCgyGreatAgain

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Who's to say something like that isn't in the works apparently NJ circled back to CGY and are in talks. This is a proposal and speculation lol
Many things to consider in value like if hanifin agrees to an extension to NJ

I mean fair but that is a haul for Hanifin/Markstrom. And the rumors were that the NJD package for Markstrom was fine but the deal died at retention. Pretty sure it was Holtz+ and I'm sure NJD asked what the deal would look like if Hanifin was in it as well. But I think it's a trade we see circled back to in the summer for our case unless NJD goes on a heater before the TDL here which I don't see happening with their schedule + coach being a dolt

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
J Markstrom 33%retained
N.Hanifin 50%retained( with extention in place)
M.Coronato

For

A.Holtz
2024 1st ( becomes 2025 1st if NJ makes eastern conference because of SJ trade)
D.Mercer
N.daws( flames flip)

Who says no ?
Take out Daws, replace with Bahl maybe?

The Devils would have to send back an LHD, either Bahl or Siegs. Siegs makes more money, but I haven't looked at future cap to see if it needs to be him for money purposes, so if not, Bahl makes sense.

After that, agree that Coronato / Holtz probably doesn't need to be included ? Seems to wash out unless they are in there for change of scenery.

So now we are basically talking Mercer / Bahl / 1st for Markstrom (33%) + Hanafin.

I think that's kind of a reasonable baseline? Tweak as needed ? Devils don't need the retention on Hanifin for this season.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Mercer and Holtz are not that great and Daws is worthless. Flames get a bunch of garbage for all of their best assets. They could sell off each of those individually and power their rebuild with multiple firsts and i unno, just keep cornoto?

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I mean fair but that is a haul for Hanifin/Markstrom. And the rumors were that the NJD package for Markstrom was fine but the deal died at retention. Pretty sure it was Holtz+ and I'm sure NJD asked what the deal would look like if Hanifin was in it as well. But I think it's a trade we see circled back to in the summer for our case unless NJD goes on a heater before the TDL here which I don't see happening with their schedule + coach being a dolt

Yeh at this point either the Devils lose some games and further demonstrate this isn’t a season to add …!or if they put together a miracle string it’ll be because a goalie has gone Hamburglar/Binnington hero rookie season mode and the team will want to ride that.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Take out Daws, replace with Bahl maybe?

The Devils would have to send back an LHD, either Bahl or Siegs. Siegs makes more money, but I haven't looked at future cap to see if it needs to be him for money purposes, so if not, Bahl makes sense.

After that, agree that Coronato / Holtz probably doesn't need to be included ? Seems to wash out unless they are in there for change of scenery.

So now we are basically talking Mercer / Bahl / 1st for Markstrom (33%) + Hanafin.

I think that's kind of a reasonable baseline? Tweak as needed ? Devils don't need the retention on Hanifin for this season.
I'd rather take back Vanecek than retain for 3 years on Markstrom. Either we should get full value at 50% on that retention slot or we shouldn't retain. I'd also rather sell those pieces separately. Either Mercer for Markstrom at 50% or Holtz+1st for Markstrom at 50%. I think we'd do better on Hanifin dealing with Dallas. They need him bad long term. NJ just needs him temporarily.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'd rather take back Vanecek than retain for 3 years on Markstrom. Either we should get full value at 50% on that retention slot or we shouldn't retain. I'd also rather sell those pieces separately. Either Mercer for Markstrom at 50% or Holtz+1st for Markstrom at 50%. I think we'd do better on Hanifin dealing with Dallas. They need him bad long term. NJ just needs him temporarily.

Friedman reported earlier that the Devils aren't moving Mercer. I don't think he goes in a trade for Markstrom, but I could see him going back in a move for Hanifin signing long term.

So I think on Markstrom you're probably looking at the Holtz + 1st option?

obviously that's just spec on my part though.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Friedman reported earlier that the Devils aren't moving Mercer. I don't think he goes in a trade for Markstrom, but I could see him going back in a move for Hanifin signing long term.

So I think on Markstrom you're probably looking at the Holtz + 1st option?

obviously that's just spec on my part though.
I'd do that sure. I like Holtz and Nemec more than most Devils fans do. I like Casey and Mercer less than most Devils fans do.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeh at this point either the Devils lose some games and further demonstrate this isn’t a season to add …!or if they put together a miracle string it’ll be because a goalie has gone Hamburglar/Binnington hero rookie season mode and the team will want to ride that.

I mean I would definitely trade for Markstrom if there's no other suitor involved which at this point, that's what it sounds like. You give this team a minor shot in the arm to see if they can pull their heads out of their asses + it's a move for 24-25 as well. Markstrom isn't a rental so you'd already be working on next year's roster with a head start on the possible goalie prices in the summer

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There are devils fans that don’t like Nemec?
No they love him. I just love him more. Last year I said I liked him more than Luke Hughes (I still like Hughes) and they had a little gang beating of me in the thread.

I'd do Hanifin 50%, Markstrom 50% and their pick of Coronato or our 2024 1st for Nemec. I think he's going to be a Giordano/Pietrangelo type. First over the boards on the PK, take all the tough matchups, still good on the PP.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
No they love him. I just love him more. Last year I said I liked him more than Luke Hughes (I still like Hughes) and they had a little gang beating of me in the thread.

I'd do Hanifin 50%, Markstrom 50% and their pick of Coronato or our 2024 1st for Nemec. I think he's going to be a Giordano/Pietrangelo type. First over the boards on the PK, take all the tough matchups, still good on the PP.

Nemecs just don’t get traded. I do agree though I like him more than L Hughes. I didn’t think that was that uncommon of an opinion

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

I think the Luke > Nemec opinion probably came from the playoffs that Luke had, he was the best D in that Carolina series 2 out of the 3 games he played + the league is more catering to Luke's style than Nemec's style but I think the opinion would've been split regardless. Nemec's way safer but Luke is more high risk/high reward type of player.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nemecs just don’t get traded. I do agree though I like him more than L Hughes. I didn’t think that was that uncommon of an opinion
I know, it's a pipe dream. It was definitely the view last season that Hughes was better. There were 10 pages of gang beating on my opinion in that thread. It was almost like a Rags thread.

I think the Luke > Nemec opinion probably came from the playoffs that Luke had, he was the best D in that Carolina series 2 out of the 3 games he played + the league is more catering to Luke's style than Nemec's style but I think the opinion would've been split regardless. Nemec's way safer but Luke is more high risk/high reward type of player.
I think Hughes is a less extreme version of Quinn. Better defender, not as good offensively. But still a top pairing guy all day. I just like that Pietrangelo/Giordano type more than I do the Quinn Hughes/Brent Burns types.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I know, it's a pipe dream. It was definitely the view last season that Hughes was better. There were 10 pages of gang beating on my opinion in that thread. It was almost like a Rags thread.

I think Hughes is a less extreme version of Quinn. Better defender, not as good offensively. But still a top pairing guy all day. I just like that Pietrangelo/Giordano type more than I do the Quinn Hughes/Brent Burns types.

Probably fair, funny thing is that Luke has had games where he's been utterly lock down and then the games against NYR the other night where he's completely shambolic. It's the youth in him but it's like what I said when Nemec f***s up, it's usually way smaller things, but when Luke f***s up it's a calamity in the making. Before a couple of games ago, you could also make the argument that Luke was better defensively than Nemec has been and Nemec has been better offensively so far which you'd think the opposite. Very weird season for the Devils defense

gach

Aug 2, 2018
J Markstrom 33%retained
N.Hanifin 50%retained( with extention in place)
M.Coronato

For

A.Holtz
2024 1st ( becomes 2025 1st if NJ makes eastern conference because of SJ trade)
D.Mercer
N.daws( flames flip)

Who says no ?
Calgary

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Wow, another time you claim it was you against the world in a thread! Crazy, man. Still waiting for the link from the other thread…odd how you mysteriously ducked out of that thread once we asked for a link.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wow, another time you claim it was you against the world in a thread! Crazy, man. Still waiting for the link from the other thread…odd how you mysteriously ducked out of that thread once we asked for a link.
I didn't duck out. The Tkachuk to NJ thread I cited is there for you to read. Numerous other NJ fans can corroborate that I stated I like Nemec better and was roundly ridiculed for it. It's fine. You have zero credibility with me. There's some good posters I enjoy posting with from the NJ fan base. You're just not one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad