Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Nikita Zadorov signs extension with the Flames (1 year, $3.75M)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Show me contract.
For that kind of money its obvious Treliving has him slotted into the 2nd pairing with Rasmus Andersson.
Hanifin & Tanev will be the first pairing and Valimaki & ??? will be the third line

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
What is Hannifin nowadays?
At the draft he was hyped as the next elite 1D.
I don't think he rose past 4/5D caliber in Carolina. Could be wrong though. What do CGY fans think of him?
People have pretty accurately summed up that last season was his first season playing at a true top pair level so I won’t touch on that much. But what no one here has mention was that under Sutter he paced for 45 points with limited but growing PP opportunity/production. With a repeat season and us having lost Gio’s PP minutes, Hanifin’s numbers could climb drastically from previous seasons totals.

On topic though I view this contract as Valimaki insurance. If Valimaki doesn’t take a step, we have Zadorov playing as a #4 all year and can look at re-signing him based on how he does this year. If Valimaki does take a step at some point, Zadorov steps down and anchors our 3rd pair, and isn’t locked in as a high priced 3rd pair D for the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: kerrabria

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What is Hannifin nowadays?
At the draft he was hyped as the next elite 1D.
I don't think he rose past 4/5D caliber in Carolina. Could be wrong though. What do CGY fans think of him?
The game after Darryl Sutter was hired, he went from tolerable to beast mode. It was like a switch was flipped.

I'm very excited to see what he will do under a full season of Sutter.

Reactions: kerrabria and Fig

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I was quite concerned they'd give him 4 year or something.
One year is fine. If he works as expected under Sutter, they'll lock him up, if he doesn't he's free to choose where he wans to go next year.

Yep, a complete win-win all around.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reasonable approach. The Flames likely gave him a bit more than Zadorov's camp thought he would get in arbitration, avoiding an acrimonious arbitration. If he fits well with the Flames, they have an option of extending him longer term. Similar situation to Copp's in Winnipeg.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
One year is fine. If he works as expected under Sutter, they'll lock him up, if he doesn't he's free to choose where he wants to go next year.

Actually, if it works as expected, he is also free to choose where he wants to go next year. That's how UFA works.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I think this is a show me contract to see if Zadorov can be a top 4 defenceman or a bottom pairing defenceman.
This is a Zadorov squeezing for every dollar contract. That is his MO. He's definitely not worth anything close to this for his level of play on the ice, and his hockey sense hasn't developed at all, I don't see that changing. He can really hit though, so the entertainment value is certainly worth something. As an Av's fan I was kind of sad to see him go for that reason alone. He's not great as a net front presence either cuz he puck watches and loses his guy. He's got good physical tools though so I guess there is at least that small possibility that it clicks for him.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
One year is fine. If he works as expected under Sutter, they'll lock him up, if he doesn't he's free to choose where he wans to go next year.

He’s Russian. He’ll go to NY, LA or Florida.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...the guy hits like a Mac Truck, however other than his physical presence I've never been impressed at all by him...gets walked far too often, no Hockey IQ to speak of really, and no offensive talent at all...good Show Me deal for the Flames, but I wouldn't get too comfortable with him if I were Sutter...he's a 3rd Pairing physical guy and that's it...

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Pleasantly surprised actually. This is fine. Hopefully he gels with the team and has a great season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
One of the most overhated players in the league, I'm guessing his analytics are trash or something because there is a contingent of fans who are so ardently opposed to him while he passes the eye test well.
His defensive isolated metrics in some places are top 10, but his offensive and transition metrics were legit bottom 10.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seems like a really high AAV for a average bottom pairing guy but at least they didn’t commit for multiple years, so the contract is digestible
He's a bottom pairing guy for your blue line. He'll be our #4. We really only have 2 surefire top 4 guys and are hoping Andersson can bounce back after last seasons train wreck. Everyone in Calgary wants Eichel, but I think Lindholm, Monahan, Backlund is at least decent down the middle. Hanifin, Tanev, Andersson and Zadorov is our top 4. It's much worse than the center depth. Giordano even at his age could play in every situation. Hanifin is our only guy who can do that now. We've lost 4 top pairing guys in 4 years. Tough to lose Hamilton, Fox, Brodie and Giordano and still have a decent back end.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
His defensive isolated metrics in some places are top 10, but his offensive and transition metrics were legit bottom 10.
From what I've seen of him this is accurate. In our series against the Avs a couple of years ago he was fantastic as long as the puck wasn't on his stick and horrific when it was. I didn't see much of him last year.

Ledge And Dairy

Show me contract.
For that kind of money its obvious Treliving has him slotted into the 2nd pairing with Rasmus Andersson.
Hanifin & Tanev will be the first pairing and Valimaki & ??? will be the third line
No not at all, he's playing with Tanev or 3rd pair. The money doesnt matter at all here, its like the Cody Ceci contract in Toronto, he had to get at least his QO

Ledge And Dairy

One of the most overhated players in the league, I'm guessing his analytics are trash or something because there is a contingent of fans who are so ardently opposed to him while he passes the eye test well.
Offensively yes, he was actually decent defensively last year (that may be more because of Connor Murphy though)
Gkprs3B.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes