Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Nikita Zadorov signs extension with the Flames (1 year, $3.75M)

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I like it. Hanifin, Zadorov, Tanev. That should be a thing of beauty in a Sutter system.
What is Hannifin nowadays?
At the draft he was hyped as the next elite 1D.
I don't think he rose past 4/5D caliber in Carolina. Could be wrong though. What do CGY fans think of him?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I don't think he rose past 4/5D caliber in Carolina. Could be wrong though. What do CGY fans think of him?

He's developed to be quite a good D man. He won't anchor a teams D at this point, but can be a solid #2. He doesn't have the offense to be more then that. He's worth his contract.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
''

Struggled to be more than a 4D in Calgary until he paired up with Tanev this year. They were one of the top pairings in the league. Hopefully that continues.

Reactions: kerrabria

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

He turned the corner last year. Although he had a +20 season at 21/22 in the top four previously so he’s been kinda underrated in the past. He’s a top pair D for the next decade. His skating is about as good as you can find outside of Makar and Heiskanen. Sutter compares him to J Bouwmeester but I think he’s got a chance to keep getting better and adding more offence to his game.

5 on 5 he was able to control Matthews McDavid etc all season. Those guys lit up the Flames on the PP though :laugh:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Did not want long term so I’m ball with that. Don’t like the the AAV and ideally he’s on our third pair but at least if he’s not great it’s only a 1 yr deal.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

I was ready to flip him last offseason, but he had his best year yet last year. Him and Tanev were excellent together. I see no reason he can't be an excellent #2 based on what I saw.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
ideally he’s on our third pair but at least if he’s not great it’s only a 1 yr deal.
As a fan of the player, "Ideally speaking" he hits his potential for you and spends more time on the top pairing than on the bottom one. I'd say it's not ideal if he plays his way onto your 3rd pairing because that means he's still not consistently bringing what he's capable of.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
D men are getting PAID this year. Perfect term. I didn't want anything long with him. Dollar amount is 500K too much but that seems almost reasonable beside the other D deals this year. Only good value was the Ryan Murray contract.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I think he finally realized he wasn't getting anymore money nor term. Regarding his play he has moments where you think he has progressed then he resorts back to awful mistakes.

I think he is solid as a 5th or 6th defenseman but top 4 his inconsistency constantly rules out him taking a spot in the top 4.

I think he simply needs to play at a super high level this year to even have any team bend over backwards and pay him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
As a fan of the player, "Ideally speaking" he hits his potential for you and spends more time on the top pairing than on the bottom one. I'd say it's not ideal if he plays his way onto your 3rd pairing because that means he's still not consistently bringing what he's capable of.
Zadorov is going to see exactly zero minutes on the top pairing.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I think this is a show me contract to see if Zadorov can be a top 4 defenceman or a bottom pairing defenceman.

Reactions: Nanuuk

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Solid deal. Not a good time to take a long term gamble.

Hanifin has been a solid middle pairing guy for years. Last year took a step towards top pairing. If he plays like that we'll be thrilled

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Aav seems a bit high but he should he solid enough for Calgary and only 1 year.

Also how convenient that hanifin took a a big step forward and hughes took one backwards....

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Good on Calgary not giving him term. I’m sure Flames management is hoping/expecting Valimaki to overtake Zadorov at some point this season

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Big time player for this club last year.
His first year in Calgary was exceptional too. He played with Hamonic, and those two found chemistry right away. They were something like a 55% CF% pair that was used as a shutdown unit.

The year after, they kept that pairing going, even after Hamonic's play fell off a cliff. Like, Hamonic was essentially a liability every time he touched the ice, and Hanifin wasn't far behind him; but the coaching staff rode that pairing until they were forced to split them because Hammer declined playing in the bubble. Hanifin was paired with Andersson in the bubble and that duo looked exceptional.

Last year he got Tanev as a partner and those two were among the best shutdown pairs in the entire NHL. Like, they didn't surrender a 5 on 5 goal for an absurd amount of time. 8 games I believe. 8 games against the other teams' best players, including Auston Matthews to start off the season those guys had zero goals against. The Gio/Andersson pair wasn't working, and the bottom pair of Valimaki/Nesterov absolutely fell off a cliff like 5 games into the season. So Calgary essentially had one working pair by like game 6 of the year, but that pair was working like a Rolex watch.

They split them up after like... dunno. 30-40 games to even out the sagging D, and Hanifin played with Andersson. For maybe like 10-14 games, decent pairing, kind of a split 50/50 pair (in terms of possession, GF and xGF), then Hanifin got hurt with like 10 games to go or something. Calgary hadn't been eliminated yet and were still fighting with Montreal for the last spot, once Hanifin went down most of our fanbase sort of packed it in. The guy was out leading 5 on 5 icetime player, who was dependable; there was no one to replace him internally for a team already playing poorly.

This guy's top pairing, he doesn't have the offensive side that he had when he was drafted to be that monster 1D people want.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: