Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Hunter Shinkaruk for Kerby Rychel

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
nothing deal. an exchange of minor leaguers in hopes they become major leaguers in a new organization.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Calgary will be a pain in the ass to play against with Tkachuk, Neal and Rychel.

Reactions: Fixxer

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I remember when Shinkaruk was highly touted. Could still carve out an NHL career as a bottom 6 energy guy.
No he can’t.

He’s top six or bust...and he busted. Who knows maybe there’s a slim slim slim possibility with lots of minutes and PP time he can resurrect his career in Montreal but he’s pretty much done in the NHL.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Leafs fan here and we got hosed in the Plekanec trade. Awful trade that many leafs fan knew from the start. The fact that Jacob Olofsson looks to be a nice steal getting him in the second round makes it worse.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Can I just chuckle at how many time Rychel as been traded now?

BJS traded him after his father, Warren made some comments that they were not developing him correctly. Leafs looked at him for awhile and things went sideways--Leaf fans can fill me in why they traded him to montreal--You would think Montreal could use a tough prospect for the third line but after 8 months

Right now most have Shinkaruk in "never was " Catagory

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He seemed alright in his limited time but could never force his way onto the top 6 and didn't play a bottom 6 style. And kept getting passed by other prospects.

He could do well in Montreal. They need offense.

Probably a nothing trade for both teams though.

There isn't much chance Shinkaruk makes Montreal's roster long term. He isn't going to pass Pacioretty, Domi, Lehkonen, Hudon, Gallagher, Armia, Shaw or Byron in the pecking order, Scherbak was much better in the AHL last season and Deslaurier and DLR make more sense on the 4th line. Even with Shaw and Byron starting on the IR and Pacioretty likely traded Shinkaruk is in tough.

This trade seems more like Montreal wants AHL depth that they wont lose on waivers.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
No he can’t.

He’s top six or bust...and he busted. Who knows maybe there’s a slim slim slim possibility with lots of minutes and PP time he can resurrect his career in Montreal but he’s pretty much done in the NHL.
That sucks, I really enjoyed seeing him in JR. But I guess it goes to show that junior success doesn't necessarily translate to the next step.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Weren't habs fans really high on Rychel? I thought he played a bunch of games last year and looked good.

Either way what a meh trade. Plekanics did nothing and the two big pieces Montreal got are both already gone from the org.

Rychel was ok, but you could see he was slow and had skating issues. I don't think he's the kind of player who will have success in the now faster NHL.

As far as the two big pieces in the trade.... those were throw in, the real piece was the second rounder which ended up being Jacob Olofsson.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I would've kept Rychel personnaly. He might not have the skating to be a top9 player in the nhl, but he has other attributes that could make him a good 4th liner. He's mean, can hit, has finishing ability, willing to go in front of the net and in tough areas of the ice.

Don't know enough about Shinkaruk, but he seems like he doesn't have a particular tool in his game that would make him an nhl forward...

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Better hockey names than hockey players IMO

Neither have really done much since being drafted but Rychel has at least got some games in. Shinkaruk dropped down the depth chart every year he was here.

Reactions: Bobby G

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
5 - Lindholm
6 - Monahan
17-Lazar
19-Rychel
22-Poirier
24-Shnikaruk
28-Klimchuk

7th first rounder from the 2013 draft to be acquired by the Flames.

I know I cant really throw stones while sitting in a glass house...but everyone of those besides Monahan has become a bust or is heading that route....yikes.

Klimchuk might have a chance at the NHL maybe as a tweener...

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
upload_2018-8-20_13-51-21.png

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: