Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Hunter Shinkaruk for Kerby Rychel

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I know I cant really throw stones while sitting in a glass house...but everyone of those besides Monahan has become a bust or is heading that route....yikes.

Klimchuk might have a chance at the NHL maybe as a tweener...
You’re forgetting about Lindholm, he’s not a bust like 4 of the other guys on the list

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wow. I remember thinking highly of Shinkaruk at the time; apparently I then completely forgot about him. Didn't realize he'd fallen this far.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
man i remember watching the 2013 draft thinking VAN got an absolute steal in Shinkaruk
I recall thinking, what, he’s falling and the Canucks take him ahead of Shea Theodore? Come on, you need Dmen, with the passing of Bourdon and only drafting yann sauve in round 2 back in 2008. Going 8 years with only 1 top 2 round Dman selected.

Hunter was alway a scoring winger or bust kind of guy. He’s not a defensive winger.

Recall how freaked out Canuck nation was when they moved him for granlund.

Reactions: Towers

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Has Shinkaruk fixed his TERRIBLE skating stride.
I wonder if it's the same hip issues as he had when he was 13-14 (or just a result). I had weekly physio appointments at the same time as him. His issue always seemed far more complex than my IT band problems.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Really too bad Shinkaruk didn't pan out. He looked like Patric Hornqvist and was exciting in his first Canucks training camp. But he was simply too weak and injuries derailed him while I was following him in the Canucks organization. I wish him well. Really liked this kid's passion for the game.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Didn't have high hopes for Rychel, don't have any higher hopes for Shinkaruk. Don't see the motives behind this deal but it shouldn't hurt anyone.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Wow
Crazy how Shinkaruk has fallen
Before the start of his draft year he was ranked 4th among all players in predraft rankings after he put up 50 goals as a 17 year old

2013 has such weird player rankings.
Gauthier was also another player who was ranked like 7th

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Wow. I remember thinking highly of Shinkaruk at the time; apparently I then completely forgot about him. Didn't realize he'd fallen this far.

Yeah injuries limited him in his D+1 year, he turned in one solid AHL season split between Vancouver and Calgary in his D+3 year (62-27-24-51), then not really sure what happened but he just kind of fell off in Calgary's system the last two years. Not sure if anything specific happened the last 2+ years in Calgary but in the summer of 2016 he still looked like he had a decent shot of being a middle six offensive winger in the NHL.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I’d rather have Plekanec, Jacob Oloffson, Valiev and Shinkaruk than what the Leafs got from that, i.e nothing...
Regardless it's basically a bag of garbage :laugh: I guess outside of that 2nd.

Leafs won't be losing any sleep.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wonder if Rychel was asking for too much, maybe a one way? I thought it was a little odd he wasn't signed yet but unless the Habs trade a winger or two he was a long shot to make the team imo. So looks like the Flames get the better AHLer, and likely better NHLer although I haven't seen much of Shinkaruk.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Been a couple of years but I bet a bunch of Canucks fans were unhappy with the trade at the time ;)

But yeah, Benning did well on that trade for sure

Can't say I really mind losing Granlund (didn't seem to be doing well with the Flames) nor do I know how he is doing these days. However, I disliked Shinkaruk ever since he specifically called out the Flames for not picking him in the draft. I get that you should have the "prove the teams who overlooked me" mentality but there were a lot of teams who did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->