Proposal: CGY-MIN-SJ

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
To MIN:
Sean Monahan

To SJ:
2021 1st from Minnesota (lower of Minnesota and Pittsburgh 1st)
Connor Zary
Sam Bennett

To CGY:
Logan Couture
Matt Nieto/ Marcus Sorensen

Min gets a big C upgrade, SJ kicks off the rebuild, CGY gets a legit 1C for Gaudreau
Not a chance. Give up Monahan, Bennett, and Zary for a 31 year old C. He wouldn't be an upgrade to Monahan. Neito is another spare part winger that we have tons of. Ditto Sorensen.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Made the mistake of not looking at the OP before I clicked on it. Should've known better, what a joke for the Flames. Let's trade Monahan, Bennett + one of our best prospect for a 32 year old, 8 million dollar player, whos locked up until he's 38 and has been less productive than Monahan over the last 5 years. Just "BOO" Ras-monton-Andersson, boo!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What utterly confuses me is how he always speaks of moving pieces out like Monahan for futures so we can have more cap space. Then adds Zary and Bennett for what appears to just be a throw in out of courtesy and the Flames get back an older player who’s going to be a downgrade on Monahan for the rest of his career, and likely more expensive. Factor in, the pacific is back next season and we do SJ a total solid, the deal makes zero sense.

It’s actually kind of baffling.
Most of his proposals make a lot more sense, if you allow yourself to question what team he actually cheers for. You never want to point fingers but the majority of his proposals definitely don't make the Flames better now or anytime in the future.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Personally I’d do

Monahan
Bennett
2021 1st

Couture
Sorensen
2021 3rd

That's awful for Calgary. We're trading the younger more productive center on a better deal, Bennett who isn't useless, and a first for an older center with a worse contract who's not as productive. Maybe someone can fill me in on the allure of Sorensen, He's a 27 year old Left winger so he's behind Tkachuk and Gaudreau, and we get back a worse draft pick. This deal doesn't make any sense for Calgary.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That's awful for Calgary. We're trading the younger more productive center on a better deal, Bennett who isn't useless, and a first for an older center with a worse contract who's not as productive. Maybe someone can fill me in on the allure of Sorensen, He's a 27 year old Left winger so he's behind Tkachuk and Gaudreau, and we get back a worse draft pick. This deal doesn't make any sense for Calgary.
I mean more productive is a stretch to say the least. Couture is better than Monahan and plays with worse players than Gaudreau and Lindholm.

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
Most of his proposals make a lot more sense, if you allow yourself to question what team he actually cheers for. You never want to point fingers but the majority of his proposals definitely don't make the Flames better now or anytime in the future.
Yeah, probably not a Flames fan with that trade proposal history.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Yeah, but it doesn't get around the contract, and age. That contract kills it for me beyond anything else. Sorenson is nothing special either.

Big pass. especially with a first rounder in there, the Flames are likely not giving that pick away unless its a big improvement on Monahan and not adding a monstrous potential boat anchor contract.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Personally I’d do

Monahan
Bennett
2021 1st

Couture
Sorensen
2021 3rd

These are the kind of moves that have the potential to destroy a franchise. $8 million/year locked up until 38 for Couture plus the Flames give up their 1st, in a year where they may not make the playoffs.

Ledge And Dairy

I mean more productive is a stretch to say the least. Couture is better than Monahan and plays with worse players than Gaudreau and Lindholm.
Why is it a stretch? Couture is at best a slight upgrade in Monahan for the short term. He has so had some damn good linemates over the last few years; Pavelski, Lebanc, Kane, Hertl, Meier, Donskoi, Nyquist.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why is it a stretch? Couture is at best a slight upgrade in Monahan for the short term. He has so had some damn good linemates over the last few years; Pavelski, Lebanc, Kane, Hertl, Meier, Donskoi, Nyquist.
None of those guys except Hertl are on the level of Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tkachuk. Also Pavelski never played with Couture. Also Couture in the playoffs is a HUGE upgrade on Monahan.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If it was 3 yrs left...sure. Not getting a 1st+ for him unless you take a bad long contract back.

Chances always were that they’d take a contract back given the flat cap. This was not something new to Sharks fans.

Ledge And Dairy

No he is not and no Pavelski played with Jumbo basically exclusively.

This clearly states otherwise
BlYq4I3.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad