Proposal: CGY-MIN-SJ

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If they felt differently, they wouldn't have given him the contract to begin with. You may want to think things through a little more.

Whenever a star takes a long term home town discount contract it's assumed the last years of the contract will be bad. When the Sharks signed the contract it may have been fair, but with every year that passes the contract gets inherently worse. You end up with fewer good years ahead and the proportion of bad years you have to eat up grows.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Whenever a star takes a long term home town discount contract it's assumed the last years of the contract will be bad. When the Sharks signed the contract it may have been fair, but with every year that passes the contract gets inherently worse. You end up with fewer good years ahead and the proportion of bad years you have to eat up grows.

Chances are with Couture it won't be many, if any, bad ones.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
So you think Calgary is on that 3 team list?
Thankfully you're not in charge

When did I ever say I think Cooch would go to Calgary?

This is a make believe thread, speculating about the value of a trade, so yeah for the purposes of THIS discussion I assume Cooch would go to CGY. Just like I was making believe that SJ is rebuilding which currently we are not.

In reality, no I don’t think CGY is one of his three teams. Just like in reality we are not officially rebuilding.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
There is no current NHLer who raises his game from the regular season to the playoffs like Couture. Please, find me one if you don’t believe me.

:huh: im trying to find what the value of this is...hypothetically if you score .5ppg regular season and then score at a 1.5ppg in playoffs the only value that brings to a team is on the last year of a deal at the deadline...

getzlaf
ovechkin
kane
malkin
crosby
kucherov
point
pastarnak
mackinnon

all produce at a higher ppg in the playoffs than couture. So he is far from being "the best player in the playoffs"

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
:huh: im trying to find what the value of this is...hypothetically if you score .5ppg regular season and then score at a 1.5ppg in playoffs the only value that brings to a team is on the last year of a deal at the deadline...

getzlaf
ovechkin
kane
malkin
crosby
kucherov
point
pastarnak
mackinnon

all produce at a higher ppg in the playoffs than couture. So he is far from being "the best player in the playoffs"
That’s not what was said. What was said was RAISES his game.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
which means he doesnt give as much effort in regular season? im trying to see a point here that helps his value...
He scores at a 0.77 PPG in the regular season which translates to 63ish points with solid defensive play. His career playoff PPG is 0.87 and if you exclude his first season (pre-Calder), a 0.96 PPG with solid defensive play. This gives him value because he’s still a solid 1st line C in the regular season but is even better in the playoffs. This is all while playing with worse players than who would probably be his line mates in CGY. Now I wouldn’t add that last part into his value but I still want to point that out.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Logan Couture was the leading scorer during the 2016 playoffs (30 points in 24 games). He also had 12 point in 10 games in the 2018 playoffs and 20 points in 20 games during the 2019 playoffs. To claim Couture is not a playoff performer is completely inaccurate.

Reactions: themelkman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Logan Couture was the leading scorer during the 2016 playoffs (30 points in 24 games). He also had 12 point in 10 games in the 2018 playoffs and 20 points in 20 games during the 2019 playoffs. To claim Couture is not a playoff performer is completely inaccurate.
I don’t think that’s what any (or many at least) are claiming. I think it’s just that the Flames fans don’t believe they are a playoff team so it doesn’t have as much value to them.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Couture is THE playoff performer. I dont know a better example in the league

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don’t think that’s what any (or many at least) are claiming. I think it’s just that the Flames fans don’t believe they are a playoff team so it doesn’t have as much value to them.
Its really not even that, its his age and contract. Love the player, hate the contract. I wouldn't love him at 8 million now, let alone 6 and a half years from now. Honestly, even if he wanted out, I don't think you'd get much value back, without at least taking a very bad contract as part of the return. Probably better to let him play out his career as a Shark, like the contract was designed for.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

getzlaf
ovechkin
kane
malkin
crosby
kucherov
point
pastarnak
mackinnon

Your lack of reading comprehension continues to astound me.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Its really not even that, its his age and contract. Love the player, hate the contract. I wouldn't love him at 8 million now, let alone 6 and a half years from now. Honestly, even if he wanted out, I don't think you'd get much value back, without at least taking a very bad contract as part of the return. Probably better to let him play out his career as a Shark, like the contract was designed for.
The guy is still PPG while being solid defensively.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

OK, that makes sense. The Flames are in a situation where a Couture for Monahan trade does not address their needs.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

I'm sorry but Couture is a PPG player who has put up 20 points in the playoffs twice in the past five years, leading his team by a good margin. It's not like he's just having a good first half of a season, he's proven he can be a legit scoring 1C on a cup contender. There's probably ~10 other C's who can say they have that track record, and Monahan is nowhere even close. I'm not saying the contract is good but my god the guy is as good a playoff 1C as you're gonna find. Way better than a Dubois or Keller or Kadri. Overall value-wise maybe not cause he's getting older but if we claim to be in win-now shouldn't we just target the best player available

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The guy is still PPG while being solid defensively.
He's never really been a PPG player his entire career and its not like he's been used sparingly. Like I said, I've always liked Couture but I wouldn't touch that contract and I don't think many other teams would be lining up for it either. I think he's movable but it would have to be an ideal situation. Maybe an aging contender, that feels they have 2-3 more years before completely ripping down, where the contract wouldn't be an issue. Like the Caps if they would've lost Backstrom or the Bruins if they lose Krejci. I'm not sure that the return would be something that the Sharks would be overly excited about though.

Last edited:

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Oh man... you really cannot understand what the point was. He RAISES his game in the playoffs. That’s the point.

i understand the point... and raising your game doesnt make you "THE playoff performer" when others are producing at higher levels. Just makes you a guy who plays harder, but isnt quite as good as others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad