Proposal: CGY-MIN-SJ

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To MIN:
Sean Monahan

To SJ:
2021 1st from Minnesota (lower of Minnesota and Pittsburgh 1st)
Connor Zary
Sam Bennett

To CGY:
Logan Couture
Matt Nieto/ Marcus Sorensen

Min gets a big C upgrade, SJ kicks off the rebuild, CGY gets a legit 1C for Gaudreau

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Minnesota likely has to wait until after expansion to address the C position. Adding another F now would expose Eriksson Ek or Greenway.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Couture turning 32 is a no go. I get that he's off to a good start, but Monahan and Bennett plus a recent 1st round pick is too much and awful asset management. Couture hasn't consistently outscored Monahan through their careers.

Couture is also signed until 38 at 8 million/year. No thanks.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is awful for Calgary. We give up Monahan, Bennett and our best prospect for a C that is a downgrade and a 3rd liner?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Are we pretending Guerin has more interest in Monahan this offseason than he did last, for the sake of the thread?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Are we pretending Guerin has more interest in Monahan this offseason than he did last, for the sake of the thread?
Was there anything specific from Minnesota's perspective where getting Monahan was just out of the question?

Because even then, I'm sure it's hard to deny getting a guy like Monahan for literally a 1st round pick. This trade extremely imbalanced value wise with Minneosta since Monahan's value is worth more than a 1st and he could conceivable be flipped for more once the trade is done.

Ledge And Dairy

Oh man this one may take the cake @RasmusAndersson, You've done some pretty pisspour trades for Calgary on here before but this one is next level bad. I'm aware how good Couture has been in his career as well as how he seems to step up in the playoffs but come on. He turns 32 in a month and is signed at 8 million per until he's 38. This is like trading Markstrom and a 1st for Price. LC is going to slow down and he is going to slow down fast, He's also not that big of an upgrade on Monahan to begin with, were talking like upgrading rank #24 to #22 at best. Then you go and throw Zary in there to? I would not be surprised if SJS did LC for SM 1 for 1 just to get out of the contract

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Oh man this one may take the cake @RasmusAndersson, You've done some pretty pisspour trades for Calgary on here before but this one is next level bad. I'm aware how good Couture has been in his career as well as how he seems to step up in the playoffs but come on. He turns 32 in a month and is signed at 8 million per until he's 38. This is like trading Markstrom and a 1st for Price. LC is going to slow down and he is going to slow down fast, He's also not that big of an upgrade on Monahan to begin with, were talking like upgrading rank #24 to #22 at best. Then you go and throw Zary in there to? I would not be surprised if SJS did LC for SM 1 for 1 just to get out of the contract
Um...No, no we wouldn't

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

What utterly confuses me is how he always speaks of moving pieces out like Monahan for futures so we can have more cap space. Then adds Zary and Bennett for what appears to just be a throw in out of courtesy and the Flames get back an older player who’s going to be a downgrade on Monahan for the rest of his career, and likely more expensive. Factor in, the pacific is back next season and we do SJ a total solid, the deal makes zero sense.

It’s actually kind of baffling.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Um...No, no we wouldn't
I think SJ thinks that every center they have is going to play into their 40s, line Thornton and Marleau. Those two are the exception. It's far more typical for players to fall off a cliff by 34 or so. That Couture contract is going to look horrible in 2-3 years.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I think SJ thinks that every center they have is going to play into their 40s, line Thornton and Marleau. Those two are the exception. It's far more typical for players to fall off a cliff by 34 or so. That Couture contract is going to look horrible in 2-3 years.

It is what it is.

Ledge And Dairy

What utterly confuses me is how he always speaks of moving pieces out like Monahan for futures so we can have more cap space. Then adds Zary and Bennett for what appears to just be a throw in out of courtesy and the Flames get back an older player who’s going to be a downgrade on Monahan for the rest of his career, and likely more expensive. Factor in, the pacific is back next season and we do SJ a total solid, the deal makes zero sense.

It’s actually kind of baffling.
That's the part that really threw me off. Why is he trading futures when he is so obsessed with scorching earth all the time

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
No from Minnesota. It was very clearly reported much like Guerin not having interest in Vincent Trocheck, Guerin has no interest in Sean Monahan.

Also wild aren't trading for Sean Monahan because with the expansion, Guerin would rather have the flexibility of the one year deals which expires after season's end.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Please mods, close this clowns account. All his posts are just troll bullshit posts just cluttering this forum with garbage.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I think if the Flames were going after Couture, it wouldn’t be to upgrade on Monahan, but to create a deep but meh centre core. Monahan-Couture-Backlund with Lindholm back on the wing. That being said, we can’t afford his cap hit or contract length, and would be hesitant to move the required assets for him/assets to move out salary.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Please mods, close this clowns account. All his posts are just troll bullshit posts just cluttering this forum with garbage.
Jesus Christ why r u so angry all the time. This is literally a trade forum and I’m suggesting an interesting trade that would literally make our team better today lol. This wouldn’t be my first choice of a deal either but we’re absolutely screwed rn lol. Flames fans litetally be like ‘We can only move Monahan for an upgrade at C or else we have to keep him’ and then when a legit 1C is on the table (Dubois or Couture) there’s always gonna be reasons why it’s risky. Don’t get me wrong I probably shouldn’t have added Zary as that probs tips the scales too far against us, but I’m personally not sold that he has legit upside and would give a lot to see Couture give it a shot here. How many other available 1C’s have 100 playoff points? Lol contract is bad but people yesterday were debating Ryan Johansen and Coutute is legit 5x the player

Last edited:

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I’d propose a 1 for 1 LC for SM for sure just adding Bennett and Nieto/Sorensen to balance cap. Take Zary out (you’re right it’s way too much with him I admit). But Monahan and Bennett for Logan would be something to consider imo. Couture is a legit playoff performer and is still a 1C, probably the best available for the next year. Again I’d still ship Monahan for other offers but short of a higher first I don’t think we’re gonna find the value so I’m considering all 1C options

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I’d propose a 1 for 1 LC for SM for sure just adding Bennett and Nieto/Sorensen to balance cap. Take Zary out (you’re right it’s way too much with him I admit). But Monahan and Bennett for Logan would be something to consider imo. Couture is a legit playoff performer and is still a 1C, probably the best available for the next year. Again I’d still ship Monahan for other offers but short of a higher first I don’t think we’re gonna find the value so I’m considering all 1C options
Personally I’d do

Monahan
Bennett
2021 1st

Couture
Sorensen
2021 3rd

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad