Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames re-sign Mikael Backlund [6 years/$5.35M AAV]

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
In case you didn't know Backlund is the 2C version of Bergeron. His offense is average or even slightly below average for a 2C but he's one of if not the best defensively along with Staal (who makes more money). He's an analytic god and worth the money.

He was like 4th in Selke voting last year I'm surprised at how many people think this is too much.

Wish You Were Here

Mar 14, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I see this signing as a slight "home discount".
I'm pretty sure that he would have been able to get a $6M+ contract as a UFA on the open market.
Absolutely solid defensively, he has averaged 0.51 points per game in his 519 game NHL career.
Another win for Treliving.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I can't believe how many people are calling this an absolute steal. I think its a good contract, but he isn't that young, and has never produced that much offense.

Definitely good for Calgary, but its a fair contract imo.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He took a long time To develop. Hopefully for Cgy, he keeps this level of play. Fair contract.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I can't believe how many people are calling this an absolute steal. I think its a good contract, but he isn't that young, and has never produced that much offense.

Definitely good for Calgary, but its a fair contract imo.

He's been our second best forward for three years. Monahan passed him this year but thats becausehe took another step. No knock on backlund .

We just got a guy that we played the last 2 minutes and 37 seconds in a 6 on 4 scenario. 55 point offensive wingers are getting these contracts

Reactions: Calgarybrutalist

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He's been our second best forward for three years. Monahan passed him this year but thats becausehe took another step. No knock on backlund .

We just got a guy that we played the last 2 minutes and 37 seconds in a 6 on 4 scenario. 55 point offensive wingers are getting these contracts
Thats fair

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Nice deal. I thought he would get at least 5.5 million on the open market but this is a solid deal for a 2nd /3rd line Center.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Backlund would have been able to get atleast 6 million a year in free agency

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Say what you want about his D game it's lot of money and term for a guy whose best season is 50 points (only twice over 40 points). Will take him to 35 years old.

Who knows though the cap is going to explode soon so these 2018 contracts could look like steals.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Say what you want about his D game it's lot of money and term for a guy whose best season is 50 points (only twice over 40 points). Will take him to 35 years old.

Who knows though the cap is going to explode soon so these 2018 contracts could look like steals.

Couldn't stay healthy for three years and he was forced to play with plugs. Bouma and Colborne owe him half their contracts imo. He made them look like 2nd liners.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Bad contract. Signed a depth player for top line money.

Age 28, signed 6 more years.

IMO Calgary fans will want to dump him as early as next season.

Depth players are 4th in Selke voting? Behind Bergy, Kesler and Koivu? Ahead of the likes of Toews(5th), Staal, Kopitar, etc...

Can a Flames fan please enlighten me why you are so thrilled with this contract?

Offensively he's certainly not worth the money and term. I mean Bozak's numbers look better than his in the last few years.

I know he's better defensively but 5M+ for 6 years? I can see that being a fair contract at best, certainly not a steal.

Look at the reply above, also the top 5 Toews is a year older than Backlund, the other 3 (Bergy, Kesler and Koivu) are all 2 or more years older than Toews, so Backlund is the youngest player as of last year in the top 5 Selke players, out of all those players last year 3 of them scored 58 points Backlund and i think Kesler got 53 points, so 5.35m for a top 6C who should be in the top 10 Selke voting for his new contract every year add in 45-55 points a year(hopefully doesn't hit a steep decline) playing with Thak for the next 6+ years and Frolik for the remainder of his contract (I might resign him for 2/3 years), we're good with our underpaid #2C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad