Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Flames re-sign Mikael Backlund [6 years/$5.35M AAV]

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Not even a 2 mil raise. That's a terrific deal for Calgary. The rumours of him wanting to stay and putting the team before himself sure seem true

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
i would have loved him on the wings but it would have been a waste. Awesome deal for the flames, got term and a very nice cap hit for a excellent 2nd line center.

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
I am happy with this signing. Backlund plays a very complete game that should age well.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Excellent deal for one of the better defensive centers in the game who provides some good offense as well. A leader in the room not to mention. Loves being a Flame, and we love having him.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Nice deal. Maybe 1 year too long, but thats a not a big deal, especially considering the caphit.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bad contract. Signed a depth player for top line money.

Age 28, signed 6 more years.

IMO Calgary fans will want to dump him as early as next season.

1)Do you know that 28-34 is right in the middle of "prime" for most NHLers?
2)Do you know of any defensively good 50 pts scorer making less than 5M on his 3rd contract?
3)Do you know of any UFA signing that is better than this in the last 3 yrs?

And lastly why would Calgary dump one of the key players next year?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not really all that surprised it came in at a lower number than people expected. The Flames stuck with Backlund through a whole lot of injuries and disappointing seasons.

This guy is Zetterburg-lite, happy to see him back for a while.

Reactions: Towers

Jan 21, 2018
Can a Flames fan please enlighten me why you are so thrilled with this contract?

Offensively he's certainly not worth the money and term. I mean Bozak's numbers look better than his in the last few years.

I know he's better defensively but 5M+ for 6 years? I can see that being a fair contract at best, certainly not a steal.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I figured hedh give us a fair deal .We were patient with him earlier on. It took him a long time to put it together since his offensive game never panned out as fully as we wanted. We were patient, he got great defensively. Our organization did right by him .Sometimes players remember things like this

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Can a Flames fan please enlighten me why you are so thrilled with this contract?

Offensively he's certainly not worth the money and term. I mean Bozak's numbers look better than his in the last few years.

I know he's better defensively but 5M+ for 6 years? I can see that being a fair contract at best, certainly not a steal.

Just wait for their young forwards that knock on the door.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, not a steal really. Fair market value to me on the basis of 1M per 10 pts. Put up 53 pts last year, on pace for 48 this year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

You are wrong if you just look at Backlund for offense

When you can sign a valuable UFA that you cant afford to lose at a reasonable price then you are "thrilled"

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Even Oilers fans are saying this is a good deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4